Monks management style

3 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

After a result and performance like today, it is very easy to jump on a bandwagon and feel like things are really bad and poor.

I am not sure that's the case.    Today has been absolutely shocking, I can't even get mad about it, it was that bad - but it happens every now and then.

I could make a couple of excuses, but simply I don't feel a need to bother.

What happens next is key.   I personally hope the spine of the side is in for extra training in the morning - very early.   They get drilled into them that it wasn't acceptable.    The sending off is put to one side and they just get on with it and accept that as a team we were not good enough.

We still have a potentially easier run in coming up, we need to make things positive very quickly to make the most of this run in.    Monk needs to get on top of this situation very quickly and I hope he will.

That's a bit more like it.

Too much huffing and puffing on here for my liking.

Although far from perfect we had the best defence in the league until today.

Monk has yet to put any of his own stamp on this team and can only work with what he has.

A good freshen up of the squad is probably overdue and should make a difference.

Our season isn't over but there does need to be a swift and long lasting reaction if we are to make the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

After a result and performance like today, it is very easy to jump on a bandwagon and feel like things are really bad and poor.

I am not sure that's the case.    Today has been absolutely shocking, I can't even get mad about it, it was that bad - but it happens every now and then.

What happens next is key.   I personally hope the spine of the side is in for extra training in the morning - very early.   They get drilled into them that it wasn't acceptable.    The sending off is put to one side and they just get on with it and accept that as a team we were not good enough.

We still have a potentially easier run in coming up, we need to make things positive very quickly to make the most of this run in.    Monk needs to get on top of this situation very quickly and I hope he will.

I agree, it happens. More often than not though after a team get reduced to 10 men they make themselves harder to break down. 

10 minutes ago, pussface said:

yes absolutely. We desperately need to clear the decks, It’s just that we could end up with worse as I have no faith in our chairman. Our transfer windows are haphazard at best.

Completely agree in regards to Chansiri. Just got to hope without an embargo and the transfer team Steve Bruce brought here that we will operate better than previous years. 

4 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

At home is awful to watch, yes Jos was bad but keeping bannan playing DM doesnt suit, this was the banana skin I was fearing.

Yes the players were awful but the style ultimately lies with monk, he is boring and negative ...leeds was great but lets be honest they are in a slump and couldve been 3 up before we scored.

No hard work from this lot ...thinking theyve won the league after leeds ...nonsense!

Football is simple ....work hard and play to your strength....players and management team!!

Disgraceful I was happy to leave at half time !

Did you pick up any fares? Softens the blow?

Can’t fault Monk

He's been very pragmatic in his approach since he’s been here and has had us pretty competitive so far

Since Fletcher has been unavailable, he’s had a strikeforce consisting of....

Winnall, who let’s face it is league 1 at best 

Nuhiu, who is pretty much ineffective as a starter, and is only any good when the game is stretched against tired legs

Rhodes, who unfortunately for reasons unknown looks a complete ghost of his former self 

What is he supposed to do??

23 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Get them in at the crack of dawn doing drills etc, won’t make the slightest difference mate. These players have proven time and time again that they’re not up to it and will continue to let us down 

Blackburn exploited the flaws in our players and formation - we had no answer to it. 

The players didn’t suggest they knew any other way to change the game - nor did Monk. 

Hopefully this game gets flushed down the toilet quick so we can go back to a bit of sense at least. 

4 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

At home is awful to watch, yes Jos was bad but keeping bannan playing DM doesnt suit, this was the banana skin I was fearing.

Yes the players were awful but the style ultimately lies with monk, he is boring and negative ...leeds was great but lets be honest they are in a slump and couldve been 3 up before we scored.

No hard work from this lot ...thinking theyve won the league after leeds ...nonsense!

Football is simple ....work hard and play to your strength....players and management team!!

Disgraceful I was happy to leave at half time !

If you think Monk is the problem, then what have you been doing for the past four seasons?

These same nucleus of players keep repeating the same weak, small-minded mentality flaws...time and time again.

How many times, do we have to endured a good result against a decent side, to then flop in such an abject style to a lesser side?

It's happened today.

- It happened when we battered Leeds 3-0 a couple of seasons ago, to follow it up with a pathetic display to whipping boys Bolton. 

- When annihilated Forest 3-0 in the same year, and then followed it up with two utterly awful performances against Brentford and then Burton on New Year's Day.

- Then we comfortably beat a playoff challenging Derby side at home, and followed it up with a defeat at Millwall.

- Then season previous, we put in one of the best away performances over the last few seasons, deservedly beating Newcastle at St James' Park. What do we do? Follow it up with a horrible performance away at Preston (only saved by a last minute, undeserved equaliser by Reach). 

- Then we tore Norwich City apart 5-1 at Hillsborough...guess what? Next up...Burton. You guessed it...another insipid performance...which was the catalyst of a four game winless run which jeopardised our playoff place.

- The season before that... hammered Brentford 4-0...next up Preston away. 1-0 defeat.

- A solid draw away at promotion challengers Hull, followed up by a defeat at home to fookin' Rotherham. 

- A four match winning run, started by a 3-0 demolition of Forest at the City Ground... how does that run end? A 4-1 trouncing away to Bristol City.

I mean seriously...if you think this is Monk's doing, then I give up. I, and others keep saying it... but there is a serious mentality problem. There's certain players who clearly get to a point where they think they've cracked it. Once they've proven what a good player they are away in a tough game, why should they need to put in the hard-yards against these mediocre teams that we're forced to play?

It's got to the point where you simply cannot argue against it. That's EIGHT examples in the space of four seasons...and there are plenty of other less subtle instances of it. 

Forget criticising the only variable in it all, and start focussing on the constants. There's been five different managers during that time, but the squad of players have essentially remained the same. Monk needs time...backing from the Chairman... and patience of the fans to alter this mindset. The only way he's going to do it, is by changing personnel. 

Edited by frastheowl
  • Thanks 1

Monk seems to massively favour playing 1 up top. Unfortunately we haven’t the striker available to do that. We need someone new to play that way. Wickham or Murray for me would really help us. Be nice to get a couple of other new faces in as well. We need a massive clear out of these current players, time and time again they show how weak they are. Enough is enough. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

Guest Ferkorf

The set up and team was perfect away at leeds but at home we should be so so soooo much different.

I literally hate modern football with 1 striker.

Get back to 4 4 bloody 2!

Today was shocking and questions have to be asked of Monk...

In saying that, I think the idea that changing him will see some huge difference is a bit deluded tbh. 

We need to freshen up the squad and have done so for a couple of years now. 

Few are living off past "glories", whilst some aren't really living off anything. 

1 minute ago, Ferkorf said:

The set up and team was perfect away at leeds but at home we should be so so soooo much different.

I literally hate modern football with 1 striker.

Get back to 4 4 bloody 2!

What is with the obsession about playing 4-4-2?

The best teams in England and Europe mainly use a 4-3-3/4-5-1 system. 

The problem isn't so much the system, it is how you go about playing within said system. 

Can we put too much blame on Monk? He hasn’t had the opportunity to add any of his own players, and that is an issue when the squad is clearly unbalanced. Why wasn’t this addressed in the summer, everyone could see there was a problem in attacking areas The stated aim of bringing in young players from the development squads of the Premier League top six, was totally ignored by Bruce. Wingers were brought in to play a 4-4-2 system, without seeming to address the fact, that none of the midfielders could play in a two. Because none of the wingers were recognised goalscorers, Fletcher pretty much ploughed a lonely furrow up top In truth, he’s made a reasonable job of it, without looking entirely comfortable in the lone striker role. Basically, the squad is not balanced, the defence and the midfield are decent at this level, but the forwards are League One at best. Yes we cracked today, but that can always happen when only two thirds of the team is functioning. 
My worry is, Monk’s go to style, is more Birmingham, than Leeds. That style of football has its limitations these days, there is a reason why it’s rarely used at this level, and above. It’s clear what we need in this window, and has been since the summer. No need for talk of a mass clear out, just get in the players to make 4-3-3 work That’s the system, and way of playing that suits our better players Does Monk have the same vision? We’ll see I suppose, this window is massive for us

Edited by gurujuan

53 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

ive not even read your post but...it testicles. Nothing to do with monk!!!

Same side as last week, what’s the difference?? Last week he was a genius, this week he wants sacking. Really???? 

You havent read my post yet you reply?....strange, but Ive read yours, last week we was AWAY....today we are at HOME against a side that hasnt won in 6?

Playing away to top of the league opposition is totally different then playing at home against Hull and Blackburn.

Monk might be trying, yes its fair he gets a few signings in but will he get his choices ? Will he get any? As for his post match interview, lets say I wasn't convinced he gave themshit at HT.

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

Played Bannan there last week. It’s not bad management. Modern game you see quite a few teams play a deep play maker rather than a old fashioned Semedo/Hutch type.

Aim is Bannan controls the game while Lee and Luongo get closer to the striker for support. Monk clearly recognised in the last home games Bannan and Hutch in a 2 was sitting too deep and isolated the striker so he’s tried to sort that issue. 

It’s actually trying to be the opposite of negative. Jorginho for Chelsea does this role, even across the city Norwood plays this role while Lundstram and Fleck are allowed to play higher. 

Essentially we can talk tactics, formations and referee decisions but ultimately this set of players will always let you down. Until a manager is finally allowed to change the personnel and put some new life back on the pitch, don’t expect anything different but inconsistency.

You make some good points but it's worrying that it's taken this long for it to be realised that BB and Hutch sit too deep. This has been the case all season along with the fact that, at Hillsborough, we always start at a snail's pace apparently contrary to what Monk wants. Yet it's happened game after game after game. The players are responsible for this but so is the manager; we need to see some passion and motivation from him.

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

What is with the obsession about playing 4-4-2?

The best teams in England and Europe mainly use a 4-3-3/4-5-1 system. 

The problem isn't so much the system, it is how you go about playing within said system. 

I quite like the 1 up top formation, but... you need a presence up top, Fletcher and Wickham are perfect to play off, but through no fault of his own Winnall can’t do this job

This is imo why we are struggling so much at the be moment. We are one player short of a top 6 place, hopefully we can get him in soon

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Can we put too much blame on Monk? He hasn’t had the opportunity to add any of his own players, and that is an issue when the squad is clearly unbalanced. Why wasn’t this addressed in the summer, everyone could see there was a problem in attacking areas The stated aim of bringing in young players from the development squads of the Premier League top six, was totally ignored by Bruce. Wingers were brought in to play a 4-4-2 system, without seeming to address the fact, that none of the midfielders could play in a two. Because none of the wingers were recognised goalscorers, Fletcher pretty much ploughed a lonely furrow up top In truth, he’s made a reasonable job of it, without looking entirely comfortable in the lone striker role. Basically, the squad is not balanced, the defence and the midfield are decent at this level, but the forwards are League One at best. Yes we cracked today, but that can always happen when only two thirds of the team is functioning. 
My worry is, Monk’s go to style, is more Birmingham, than Leeds. That style of football has its limitations these days, there is a reason why it’s rarely used at this level, and above. It’s clear what we need in this window, and has been since the summer. No need for talk of a mass clear out, just get in the players to make 4-3-3 work That’s the system, and way of playing that suits our better players Does Monk have the same vision? We’ll see I suppose, this window is massive for us

7D73D7A6-71C0-48B2-B1F4-71750A722795.gif

With this squad, Monk has punched above his weight. I wanted the Cowleys but overall Monk has done a very good job. Comes across really well, and no complaints from me. Today was a bad day, but overall Monk has been a decent appointment. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Blackburn exploited the flaws in our players and formation - we had no answer to it. 

The players didn’t suggest they knew any other way to change the game - nor did Monk. 

Hopefully this game gets flushed down the toilet quick so we can go back to a bit of sense at least. 

Good point 2nd paragraph. The lack of thought from on and off the pitch on how to redress the situation before the first goal, after the sending off, at half time and throughout the 2nd half was a total indictment of all parties. 

Irrespective of the personnel the manager has to think on his feet to change what is going on. All we did was change who played where not how we played. That rests on his door 

30 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

Did you pick up any fares? Softens the blow?

23 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

If you think Monk is the problem, then what have you been doing for the past four seasons?

These same nucleus of players keep repeating the same weak, small-minded mentality flaws...time and time again.

How many times, do we have to endured a good result against a decent side, to then flop in such an abject style to a lesser side?

It's happened today.

- It happened when we battered Leeds 3-0 a couple of seasons ago, to follow it up with a pathetic display to whipping boys Bolton. 

- When annihilated Forest 3-0 in the same year, and then followed it up with two utterly awful performances against Brentford and then Burton on New Year's Day.

- Then we comfortably beat a playoff challenging Derby side at home, and followed it up with a defeat at Millwall.

- Then season previous, we put in one of the best away performances over the last few seasons, deservedly beating Newcastle at St James' Park. What do we do? Follow it up with a horrible performance away at Preston (only saved by a last minute, undeserved equaliser by Reach). 

- Then we tore Norwich City apart 5-1 at Hillsborough...guess what? Next up...Burton. You guessed it...another insipid performance...which was the catalyst of a four game winless run which jeopardised our playoff place.

- The season before that... hammered Brentford 4-0...next up Preston away. 1-0 defeat.

- A solid draw away at promotion challengers Hull, followed up by a defeat at home to fookin' Rotherham. 

- A four match winning run, started by a 3-0 demolition of Forest at the City Ground... how does that run end? A 4-1 trouncing away to Bristol City.

I mean seriously...if you think this is Monk's doing, then I give up. I, and others keep saying it... but there is a serious mentality problem. There's certain players who clearly get to a point where they think they've cracked it. Once they've proven what a good player they are away in a tough game, why should they need to put in the hard-yards against these mediocre teams that we're forced to play?

It's got to the point where you simply cannot argue against it. That's EIGHT examples in the space of four seasons...and there are plenty of other less subtle instances of it. 

Forget criticising the only variable in it all, and start focussing on the constants. There's been five different managers during that time, but the squad of players have essentially remained the same. Monk needs time...backing from the Chairman... and patience of the fans to alter this mindset. The only way he's going to do it, is by changing personnel. 

Some valid point and I agree we have a very aging sorry bunch here but going by your logic jos was set up by these mugs too then yeah? 

Seriously I get Monk has a plan and I get what he is trying to do but it aint working at home we have just lost our 3rd 4th game at home ffs.