Monks management style

At home is awful to watch, yes Jos was bad but keeping bannan playing DM doesnt suit, this was the banana skin I was fearing.

Yes the players were awful but the style ultimately lies with monk, he is boring and negative ...leeds was great but lets be honest they are in a slump and couldve been 3 up before we scored.

No hard work from this lot ...thinking theyve won the league after leeds ...nonsense!

Football is simple ....work hard and play to your strength....players and management team!!

Disgraceful I was happy to leave at half time !

• Like 1

Played Bannan there last week. It’s not bad management. Modern game you see quite a few teams play a deep play maker rather than a old fashioned Semedo/Hutch type.

Aim is Bannan controls the game while Lee and Luongo get closer to the striker for support. Monk clearly recognised in the last home games Bannan and Hutch in a 2 was sitting too deep and isolated the striker so he’s tried to sort that issue. 

It’s actually trying to be the opposite of negative. Jorginho for Chelsea does this role, even across the city Norwood plays this role while Lundstram and Fleck are allowed to play higher. 

Essentially we can talk tactics, formations and referee decisions but ultimately this set of players will always let you down. Until a manager is finally allowed to change the personnel and put some new life back on the pitch, don’t expect anything different but inconsistency.

22 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Played Bannan there last week. It’s not bad management. Modern game you see quite a few teams play a deep play maker rather than a old fashioned Semedo/Hutch type.

Aim is Bannan controls the game while Lee and Luongo get closer to the striker for support. Monk clearly recognised in the last home games Bannan and Hutch in a 2 was sitting too deep and isolated the striker so he’s tried to sort that issue. 

It’s actually trying to be the opposite of negative. Jorginho for Chelsea does this role, even across the city Norwood plays this role while Lundstram and Fleck are allowed to play higher. 

Essentially we can talk tactics, formations and referee decisions but ultimately this set of players will always let you down. Until a manager is finally allowed to change the personnel and put some new life back on the pitch, don’t expect anything different but inconsistency.

Good post.

The players made the manager look stupid today.

3 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

At home is awful to watch, yes Jos was bad but keeping bannan playing DM doesnt suit, this was the banana skin I was fearing.

Yes the players were awful but the style ultimately lies with monk, he is boring and negative ...leeds was great but lets be honest they are in a slump and couldve been 3 up before we scored.

No hard work from this lot ...thinking theyve won the league after leeds ...nonsense!

Football is simple ....work hard and play to your strength....players and management team!!

Disgraceful I was happy to leave at half time !

ive not even read your post but...it testicles. Nothing to do with monk!!!

Same side as last week, what’s the difference?? Last week he was a genius, this week he wants sacking. Really???? 

1 hour ago, 1993swfc said:

some very good points here. Yet I keep reading and agreeing with the ‘we need a clear out’ mantra, yet are you confident these replacements would arrive? I’m not. We sold Joao in the Summer and even his goals are yet to be replaced. I Can see a situation were half the team are shown the door in May, and we’re struggling to put a team out in September. No one seems to have a clue. The lack of top down competent leadership is shameful.

Couldn’t agree more - I’m far from convinced Monk is the right man to take Wednesday forward but owner and players are by far my biggest concern right now.

Bang on, at least someone gets it. 

Nail on the absolute head. 

We started the rebuild in the summer, but there’s still a hell of a long way to go. 

Bannan is now being played in the precise position he was born for.

Today was not Bannan's fault, it was - practically every player in a home shirts fault, added to the stupid decision to send off one of our players for the audacity of not getting himself injured.

No, today was hopefully a one off and if it isn't then Monk will pay a price for it, but you cannot say that Bannan has a position natural to him anywhere else than where he has recently been deployed.

8 minutes ago, pussface said:

some very good points here. Yet I keep reading and agreeing with the ‘we need a clear out’ mantra, yet are you confident these replacements would arrive? I’m not. We sold Joao in the Summer and even his goals are yet to be replaced. I Can see a situation were half the team are shown the door in May, and we’re struggling to put a team out in September. No one seems to have a clue. The lack of top down competent leadership is shameful.

Couldn’t agree more.

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Our home form and performances under Monk have been so poor and negative. 1 up front at home is shocking imo. 

What options does the guy have? We have passionless players and striking options that could make a man weep. 

I'm reserving judgement until he's brought his own players in.

The game plan is to use a target man.

Fletcher excellent at it but is injured.

The wide forwards were getting better and the advanced midfield two were the preferential choice.

So Fletcher is injured which leaves us to choose from 3.

Nuhiu decent at holding it up, technically dceent as well, works hard but is slow and when having an off game control passing are poor.

Winnall, weak as p1$$, can work hard, technically poor, cannot pass.

Rhodes painful to watch him used as a target man, in fact painful ti think about him being used as a target man.

So up front with Fletch out we are shafted.

Luongo and Lee were poor never won a second or third ball.

Wide men, Reach is better on the left, Murphy is better back at Newcastle

3 minutes ago, pussface said:

I see what your saying, but Joao essentially was the epitome of what this team currently is, severely inconsistent. For £5m we couldn’t not sell. 

I just don’t think we can keep players because we aren’t sure of replacing them. Essentially Joao isn’t someone who will get you promoted, so it was ideal to sell. I agree he needed/needs replacing. But can’t keep carrying passengers. 

4 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Our tactics have been turgid to watch since Carlos season 2. It's nothing new.

After a result and performance like today, it is very easy to jump on a bandwagon and feel like things are really bad and poor.

I am not sure that's the case.    Today has been absolutely shocking, I can't even get mad about it, it was that bad - but it happens every now and then.

I could make a couple of excuses, but simply I don't feel a need to bother.

What happens next is key.   I personally hope the spine of the side is in for extra training in the morning - very early.   They get drilled into them that it wasn't acceptable.    The sending off is put to one side and they just get on with it and accept that as a team we were not good enough.

We still have a potentially easier run in coming up, we need to make things positive very quickly to make the most of this run in.    Monk needs to get on top of this situation very quickly and I hope he will.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1993swfc said:

I see what your saying, but Joao essentially was the epitome of what this team currently is, severely inconsistent. For £5m we couldn’t not sell. 

I just don’t think we can keep players because we aren’t sure of replacing them. Essentially Joao isn’t someone who will get you promoted, so it was ideal to sell. I agree he needed/needs replacing. But can’t keep carrying passengers. 

yes absolutely. We desperately need to clear the decks, It’s just that we could end up with worse as I have no faith in our chairman. Our transfer windows are haphazard at best.

The thing that worries me is also the form table. Over the last 6 games we are 19th on said table. I’m not sure what we would be over 10-12 previous games but would guess it’s similar. We seem to have one good result and then 2 or 3 very poor results. Preying we can get a couple of players in before our next league game because these players mainly just aren’t up to the job imo. 

Edited by WalthamOwl