Late 1960’s Goalkeeper

39 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Casbahowl was on the tannoy:biggrin:

Incidentally Stevie Splash owned the Casbah - not you is it Stevie?:ohmy:

Did he? I think he owned Sinatras but didn't know he owned The Casbah. 

10 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Don't know for how long, but certainly had casbah mid 80s.

Had something else later on Carver St (?), was that Sinatra's?

Had problems keeping open - must have been SAG:rolleyes:

Casbah mid 80s was Wapentake wasn't it? Yes Sinatras was on Carver St. Became Belugas after that but don't know who owned it. 

14 hours ago, theowlsman said:

There’s a Wednesday season ticket holder called John Crossland. I used to work with him.

Do I get a prize for being nearest?

I remember Johnny Crossland, Owls fan from Mosborough, used to be a regular in the Mill pub, late 70s/ early 80s. Managed to local Westfield fc

15 hours ago, Ursa Minor said:

Never heard of Crossland .... but talking of obscure goalkeepers, I remember that keeper Trevor Pearson, played four games in March / April 1972. Wednesday had a injury crisis with Grummit and Springett injured and the transfer deadline had passed. So Pearson of Norton Woodseats FC or something played as an amateur. 

that's the guy I've been trying to remember.

2 hours ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Back to Crossland......

Just checked in 'Sheffield Wednesday - the complete record' (Brodie & Dickinson) and can find no mention.

I would imagine, if he was on Wednesday’s books, it would have been as a Central League, or Northern Intermediate player, so may not show up on any records If not, somebody on here would have heard of him

• Like 1

Can't help with Crossland. Sorry. 

But interesting story about a guy called Tim Taylor who was our youth keeper in the Jack Charlton era. Chris Turner was first team keeper, so Tim never got a sniff and moved on to Chesterfield.  Tim packed football in to concentrate on tennis which he excelled at.  Moving abroad, he was Tenerife singles champion for 7 years and has beaten Bjorn Borg and Michael Stick(former German no 1) at veterans events.   

Doesn't help with the original query, but not every Owls reserve or youth keeper goes on to make good at another sport.  

• Like 1

Reminds of a story an old Wednesday fan told me...and I mean old..He was 90 odd and a patient on the ward I worked on.

Once he found out I was an Owls fan he wanted a full match report every Monday..he'd only stopped going a couple of years before...but he told me, We once had a keeper who used to trot up towards the halfway line when Wednesday were attacking...and If we lost the ball would come haring back, shoutin' at the defence...

"They're comin!!!!"

He swore to God it was true...I could say f.ook all for laughing lol

• Haha 1

There was a lad called Dave Barker who played in goal and was on the books from the early 70s to the late 80s. He was a good non league player but I think he was only called on as back up and never played for the first team. Not to do with the original post but he probably doesnt appear on any records either and I'm sure people on here know him. 

1 hour ago, Nut said:

There was a lad called Dave Barker who played in goal and was on the books from the early 70s to the late 80s. He was a good non league player but I think he was only called on as back up and never played for the first team. Not to do with the original post but he probably doesnt appear on any records either and I'm sure people on here know him. 

Yes, owns a sports shop on Holme Lane.

5 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Could the OP possibly have the wrong club ? I do remember a Crossland playing in goal for some other team but for the feck of it I can't remember which one. FFS:bullen:

Nice one Cognac, very helpful :duntmatter:

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 18:44, topbrewer said:

Good evening people, not been on here for a while. Just wondering if some of you elder chaps can cast your mind back to the late 60’s early 70’s.

Does anyone recall a goalkeeper called John Crossland playing for the Owls either 1st team or reserves?

Cheers in advance 

I knew I'd seen that name recently.

Screenshot attached, it was Reading Owl that mentioned the name in another thread.

@ReadingOwl 

crossland.png

5 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Reminds of a story an old Wednesday fan told me...and I mean old..He was 90 odd and a patient on the ward I worked on.

Once he found out I was an Owls fan he wanted a full match report every Monday..he'd only stopped going a couple of years before...but he told me, We once had a keeper who used to trot up towards the halfway line when Wednesday were attacking...and If we lost the ball would come haring back, shoutin' at the defence...

"They're comin!!!!"

He swore to God it was true...I could say f.ook all for laughing lol

If my memory serves me correctly the keeper in question was an amateur called Mike Pinner. He played a few games in the late 50's.

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 18:44, topbrewer said:

Good evening people, not been on here for a while. Just wondering if some of you elder chaps can cast your mind back to the late 60’s early 70’s.

Does anyone recall a goalkeeper called John Crossland playing for the Owls either 1st team or reserves?

Cheers in advance 

After reading 3 pages of nobody really knowing him and a cameo about Carver Street nightlife, can I ask why you want to know.

Great thread mind.

• Haha 1