Fletcher - strike/conversion rate

9 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

I like Fletcher. Think he is a very good player but he can’t do it all himself. Would love to see Fletcher and FF play on Saturday. 

Not as a front 2. They have zero understanding playing together. 

Nando is a below average front man. Play him on the left in a free role or don’t play him at all. 

19 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

Not as a front 2. They have zero understanding playing together. 

Nando is a below average front man. Play him on the left in a free role or don’t play him at all. 

You might be right about FF as a front man, but he’s a footballer, and not the sort of player to thrive on flick ons and knock downs. It’s no surprise that FF worked better with Nuhiu, and even Joao, as they are nearer his wavelength. Fletcher is an old school type of centre forward, a wholehearted trier, but with limited footballing ability

• Haha 1

So far this season - our attack

Fletch lone striker - 804 minutes - 11 team goals - goal every 73 mins

Fletch + Nuhiu - 250 minutes - 5 team goals- goal every 50 mins

Fletch + FF - 149 minutes - 2 team goals - goal every 74 mins

Fletch + Nuhiu + FF - 68 minutes 3 team goals - goal every 23 mins

3 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

When Fletcher  has a shot he smashes the ball as hard has he can even if he is on the edge of the 6 yard box. A bit more composure is sometimes needed.

Not having a dig, but in the last two games, WBA and Birmingham, a cross has come in low and he's elected to take a touch when both times it needed hitting first time.

Another thing that winds me up, why does Keiron Lee never shoot?

Twice in the last two games he's chosen to look to pass when there's a shot on

I don't blame him for the chance where he hit the keeper, we were always taught to lift it, the keeper is usually on the way down, so lift the ball over him, I put that one down to a good save rather than a bad miss, maybe he could have lifted it more but it was on his wrong foot, my father would go have gone mad if someone said that to him, all players should be two footed, and he's right.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Strike rates are a pretty meaningless statistic. They don't take into account the quality of chances the player is scoring (or missing).

Comparing goals to xG is a far more valuable way of looking at striker effectiveness. 

And currently, Fletcher is actually over-performing his xG. So he's certainly not wasteful. 

Fletcher has had chances totalling an xG of 5.84, and has scored 6 goals. (If you consider Non-Penalty xG, then he marginally under performs...4.3 Non Pen xG, to 4 goals scored)

However, the issue is, the ridiculously low Non Penalty xG...so in 17 games, we've only created chances to the value of 4.3xG, from non-Penalty situations.

That isn't good enough. Is that due to Fletcher been too involved in build play, or is it simply an issue with supply lines?

8 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

That isn't good enough. Is that due to Fletcher been too involved in build play, or is it simply an issue with supply lines?

But yes, to answer the original question, I think the problem is that what started as a 4-3-3 has very quickly become a 4-5-1.

Fletcher is strong, but he's not quick and his movement in the box isn't the best. So basically he's easy for the opposition to mark and I reckon he's not getting many chances at all to feet.

On the other hand, he's a beast in the air, and will often outjump the centrebacks. I reckon a fair proportion of that 4.3 xG are for headed chances.

5 hours ago, Spookone said:

I wouldn't say we are a bang average side, look how we played against West Brom, most weeks we create a decent amount of chances - just need a striker who can put the ball in the net.

I said after Wednesday's match, if we had Billy Sharp playing for us (as an example), we would be in the top 4 - it's a striker we need, the team wouldn't look bang average then!

We’re the epitome of bang average. 

not much worse than the good sides and not much better than the poor sides. 

Fletcher hasn't been given an easy role as the lone striker up top. Not an easy task by any stretch.  A lot of times we punt it forward, anywhere in and around his head then we expect him to do something about it.  If he was Didier Drogba, sure hoof it fowaad.  

I think we are asking too much from him.  Stick another striker next to him, Nuhiu, Winnall, Rhodes Forestieri whoever that may be if at all.  Could work wonders for both strikers.  

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

as a lone front man he's the best we have so I don't see who can replace him …….

Depends, if our main ploy is to get it wide and then look for Fletcher’s head, then yes If we want to try a different approach, play Nuhiu with Forestieri operating wide

Edited by gurujuan

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Depends, if our main ploy is to get it wide and then look for Fletcher’s head, then yes If we want to try a different approach, play Nuhiu with Forestieri operating wide

i'm always up for FF playing out wide … .our most dangerous player when he plays wide left .

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i'm always up for FF playing out wide … .our most dangerous player when he plays wide left .

Me too, and he links better with Nuhiu, than he does with Fletcher. You play a ball into Nuhiu, and he’s quite clever with his lay offs, which is what Forestieri needs

1 hour ago, kingsidney said:

We’re the epitome of bang average. 

not much worse than the good sides and not much better than the poor sides. 

were we are right now is about right and if we can keep treading water for a season or two while we sort out the financial side then I reckon we'll have done as well as can be expected .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

I can’t shake the notion that one of the few people who think he should play centrally is FF himself, and he’s sulking again because yet another manager sees him (rightly) as a wide player. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I can’t shake the notion that one of the few people who think he should play centrally is FF himself, and he’s sulking again because yet another manager sees him (rightly) as a wide player. 

But as a wide player, who comes in from a wide position, not a touchline hugging winger