Chansiri, embargo and the players

5 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Christ I'm agreeing with Ian and Mr F in one thread I'm doomed lol  However they're both right 

Don’t fret too much.....it’s happens to everyone in the end....you’ll see Nuhiu with new enlightenment should we be unlucky enough to see him again in a blue and white shirt and even a perfect hat trick will have you slating him as a lucky donkey

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

It's not certain that we will be found guilty over the selling of the club, but if we are, it's more likely to amount to a deduction of points than a fine. The one salient point about this situation, is that realistically the club can go nowhere whilst it's in this permanent cycle with regards to this financial embargo. If the points deduction happens, then it ends our promotion or play off hopes, but I don't think it will end in relegation, unless is a huge amount of points. So it's going to be likely a mid table finish.

In my opinion, this fine or a points deduction needs to happen. It's the only way to get the club out of this mess and will allow the club to operate in the transfer market properly again. Along with this, two other things need to happen. Chansiri needs to sell the club as soon as is possible and the squad needs a complete overhaul. The big earners need to go and the squad needs breaking up. Some players have been here too long and need moving on. I would personally sell or not offer contracts to Westwood, Palmer, Fox, Hutchinson, Pelupessy, Lee, Reach, Forestieri, Nuhiu, Winnall and Rhodes.

I do think that one person is to blame for this predicament and that is the Chansiri. He was the person in charge of the finances. He knew the rules or someone was advising him on the rules. He knew what he was spending in transfer fees and wages and he was the person that decided to sell the club to a company that part of his financial portfolio. He may have done these things for the best of intentions, but the current situation is entirely down to him. With the financial embargo still in place and the club currently for sale, plus an aging expensive squad on the books, it could be the right time to take the punishment of a point deduction if we are found guilty of breaking the EFL rules. 

What is your opinion ?

You started off ok. Not brilliant but ok. As the thread carried on you lost it.

You need to understand he won't sell the club at a huge loss. It's an ego thing. 

Nobody will buy us in the poor state we currently sit.

It's promotion or bust.

Bust is getting a bit more likely but it's still promotion or bust.

He may be one of the worst businessmen since Gerald Ratner, but we are stuck with him.

We need to sell at least 3-5 players a window to stay within the financial constraints and raise enough capital to re-invest in the squad under this owner or any other, that is the problem. Until our academy starts generating sellable assets consistently every season we have no other means of staying within the rules. Our gate receipts are irrelevant when they  don't even cover wages

Edited by TrueOwl

Can't see Chansiri selling anytime soon. Nor for peanuts anyway. If anything he'll probably dig his heels in even more to try and recoup some money. I fully expect a high profile player or two being sold in January and the money going straight into his coffers.

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, Growl67 said:

Norwich and that shower across the city would seem to disprove that view.

Norwich sold Maddison and the pigs sold Brooks for 8 figure sums.. that funds the ability to bring in new players without putting in external funds which is what the position is without a rich owner 

Just now, Junk Smuggler said:

Can't see Chansiri selling anytime soon. Nor for peanuts anyway. If anything he'll probably dig his heels in even more to try and recoup some money. I fully expect a high profile player or two being sold in January and the money going straight into his coffers.

The thing is bizarrely he doesn't sell players.

He doesn't buy that many either lately, but to still have 6 or 7 from the play off finals in the team is odd at best.

It seems he'd much rather fiddle about with the rules, than sell players.

His business plan takes some understanding.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

So...DC has confided in you has he ? Lol  The thing that's a joke is your continual slagging off of DC as if you have any idea as how to run a football club. Wishful thinking is about right however, no one GAF about your ramblings. You know how stupid it is when @MrFarrell  calls it nonsense

Typical Owlstalk member talk. Nothing I have said is wishful, it's just an opinion, but for members like you, it's a chance to troll, because that's the way you role. No one is an expert, they give their opinion, but some like you see it as a chance to stir things. You can't take someone's opinion and just debate, you've got to be argumentive. Has I said, typical Owlstalk lol.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

Chansiri mentioned the club was for sale at one of those fan forums Sometime last season.

Key words:

Last season. Unfortunately I think he is determined to stick it out until there is nothing left to sell, no assets to transfer into another of his shell companies.

I've accepted this season will be difficult, but it's not the end of the world. 

3 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

Owlstalk isn't a court of law, it's a page where the life blood is speculation and conjecture....lol

Trouble is fella you use wording to express your opinions that read as factual. Think that's why you're getting criticism about it. However i agree with you that we are all entitled to our opinions.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

You started off ok. Not brilliant but ok. As the thread carried on you lost it.

You need to understand he won't sell the club at a huge loss. It's an ego thing. 

Nobody will buy us in the poor state we currently sit.

It's promotion or bust.

Bust is getting a bit more likely but it's still promotion or bust.

He may be one of the worst businessmen since Gerald Ratner, but we are stuck with him.

It's opinions and I'll stick to what i said. He'll not be here in the long term and will do a deal at a price that is lower than the value of the club. If you think different, power to you. No one is an expert, they are just giving their opinion, to some use it as a way to be abusive or start an argument. I'm not into that, but you're doing the same as me. Strong opinion, telling somewhere their wrong. Faur enough

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

That’s moving the goal posts a little from your original post, but:

1) Over the last 10 seasons there are 13 clubs relegated from the Premier League who currently show no sign of returning any time soon.

2) Developing young players to sell on should be one of the basics for any well run Championship club (and for most in Premier League).  This is something Wednesday have continually failed to do.

3) Again going back 10 years I would say Blackpool, Norwich, Swansea, Reading, Burnley, Huddersfield and the Blades have all been promoted to the Premier League without really splashing the cash.

To me this suggests parachute payments / wealthy benefactor might help but are no guarantee of success.

I agree that having money is no guarantee of success, but that's not the same thing as saying you can be successful without it. It's about probabilities and the odds are much better with money than without. There are a lot of teams in this league spending (and losing) a lot of money and they can't all get promoted. If we stop spending I would say it would make us less likely to be successful vs these other teams. It's definitely got worse in the last 5 years too... in that time I think from the ones you mention there's Burnley (who were relegated the season before and had parachute payments) and Huddersfield who brought in a lot of very successful loans and got lucky to face a Wednesday team that didn't turn up and a poor Reading side in the play offs (plus were backed by Dean Hoyle). Last season Utd and Norwich had just sold Brooks and Maddison which funded several new signings.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you need a source of significant funds from somewhere even if it's just to bring in loans or pay wages that the higher calibre players demand. And owners, parachute payments and player sales are the main sources.

It's almost impossible to run the club as a going concern (assuming you have no players to sell to rejig the squad) and be competitive in this league. Even under Milan we were losing £6m a season IIRC, so losing even less than that would be very difficult. And before that, we were owing more and more to the Co-op every year. It's better to be owned by someone and them to fund the losses than it is to run up debts.

Under Jones and Gray, so 2012-2015, we looked a million miles off being a promotion side and that's what losing only £6m a season looks like. We also had a defensive core which was there in 2014-15 which nearly was promotion winning but the attacking and flair side, where the expensive players are, we were miles off. If we went back to that we'd have to be exceptionally lucky to get promoted... we'd have to land 3-4 top quality freebies from obscure places (like a Pukki) all at the same time and they'd all have to stay fit all season. It's such a long shot

1 minute ago, Brommers said:

Trouble is fella you use wording to express your opinions that read as factual. Think that's why you're getting criticism about it. However i agree with you that we are all entitled to our opinions.

I think people can tell that, but it's Owlstalk and so they will spin it. My OP is just my opinion, of people don't agree or think they know better, it's up to them.

28 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Norwich sold Maddison and the pigs sold Brooks for 8 figure sums.. that funds the ability to bring in new players without putting in external funds which is what the position is without a rich owner 

we have nobody anyehere near the players you mentioned...too be honest we have nov players worth much....