Penney enjoying loan spell

Just now, malek said:

Certainly got required stamina and pace that play left back role for us, and I'm sure we will get to see more of that left foot featured on linked video.

Just hope he will decide to come back and sign new long term deal with Wednesday.

Btw. Watching all of games he played for St Pauli I wouldn't say that Bundesliga 2 is any less physical or any slower then Championship.

German football is way slower, much more technical and much less physical at all levels.

42 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Despite showing early promise his form went on the slide hugely after 10 or so games for us and he looked way out of his depth.

he’s getting to that point with St Pauli now so it’ll be interesting to see if he’s able to sustain a higher level of performance than he did with us

Timing is everything though to be honest.

Looking as good as he did at that moment in time says more to me given how disjointed we were.

He was given the chance because of a situation that shouldn't have happened so in that respect he got a bit lucky, but he did initially take that chance and take it very well.   It went south because I think the whole squad had lost faith in the manager to be honest, and he was not the only player to lose form at that time.

7 hours ago, McRightSide said:

German football is way slower, much more technical and much less physical at all levels.

Nah.

German football is the one which is most similar to English football.

It's not as fast paced but is physical. Its definitely not way slower.

The less physical and more technical leagues are your Mediterranean ones, Spain and Portugal for example.

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Nah.

German football is the one which is most similar to English football.

It's not as fast paced but is physical. Its definitely not way slower.

The less physical and more technical leagues are your Mediterranean ones, Spain and Portugal for example.

I played football in Germany for 5 years.

I’ve lived in Germany for nearly a decade. 

What’s the basis for your opinion?

Edited by McRightSide

23 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I played football in Germany for 5 years.

I’ve lived in Germany for nearly a decade. 

What’s the basis for your opinion?

Watching it for 30 years. Knowing and talking with players who played at fairly high level there.

You get closed down in Bundesliga 2 just as quickly as you do in Championship, and it is played at very high tempo.

It depends what would you describe as "tempo", though...

If you mean how quickly ball gets from one goal to the other then you are right. But if you are refering on how much time you get on the ball then pace of the game is about the same (at least that is how I experience it).

20 minutes ago, malek said:

Watching it for 30 years. Knowing and talking with players who played at fairly high level there.

You get closed down in Bundesliga 2 just as quickly as you do in Championship, and it is played at very high tempo.

It depends what would you describe as "tempo", though...

If you mean how quickly ball gets from one goal to the other then you are right. But if you are refering on how much time you get on the ball then pace of the game is about the same (at least that is how I experience it).

Ok so no actual experience. What leagues did the players play in?

You can’t judge time on the ball accurately from your armchair. Actually a huge factor of time on the ball is touch and awareness of the player on the ball. It why the best players have the most time. That doesn’t mean to say you get closed down any slower, smarter maybe

A big difference which you don’t mention is the tolerance of referees for physicality. The impact of that on the style is huge.

Edited by McRightSide

4 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Playing for The Panzer and the Daschund team is a little different than playing in the Bundesliga dude.

From what I can gather the level hes played at commands a bit more respect than that 

Could be wrong , sure he will put you/us right 

Edited by the monk

The reemergence of Penney, the improvement in Fox, and the ability of Palmer to adequately cover there, means a new left back is less of a priority right now. Just shows how quickly things can change. It’s the opposite with the strikers though, seemingly well stocked, but then they all turn gash

51 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Ok so no actual experience. What leagues did the players play in?

You can’t judge time on the ball accurately from your armchair. Actually a huge factor of time on the ball is touch and awareness of the player on the ball. It why the best players have the most time. That doesn’t mean to say you get closed down any slower, smarter maybe

A big difference which you don’t mention is the tolerance of referees for physicality. The impact of that on the style is huge.

I never played professional football, but it is far from me never kicking the ball and not having experience of how it is on a football pitch and how different it is from warching it from the stand, or on tv.

Guy I spoke most about it played in Bundesliga 2 for both Duisburg and Eintrach Frankfurt. Played in CL and for his country as well. His parents still live flat above me so we get to chat when he visits. I know and talked with few more playing from Bundesliga to regional leagues as well.

You well linked quality with time on the ball, and it is true. I tried to point that Championship player won't find it easier in Bundesliga 2 as he will get closed down less quickly and get more time to think, get ball under controll and play.

I also don't think that english referees are as tolerant to physical play as they used to be. Just look what Nuhiu gets penalized for every week... I can't see much difference between two leagues in that regard.

Thanks for replay, certainly enjoyed reading it.

Btw. May I ask at what level you played in Germany and how long ago ? It is ok with me if you want keep that to yourself.

1 hour ago, malek said:

I never played professional football, but it is far from me never kicking the ball and not having experience of how it is on a football pitch and how different it is from warching it from the stand, or on tv.

Guy I spoke most about it played in Bundesliga 2 for both Duisburg and Eintrach Frankfurt. Played in CL and for his country as well. His parents still live flat above me so we get to chat when he visits. I know and talked with few more playing from Bundesliga to regional leagues as well.

You well linked quality with time on the ball, and it is true. I tried to point that Championship player won't find it easier in Bundesliga 2 as he will get closed down less quickly and get more time to think, get ball under controll and play.

I also don't think that english referees are as tolerant to physical play as they used to be. Just look what Nuhiu gets penalized for every week... I can't see much difference between two leagues in that regard.

Thanks for replay, certainly enjoyed reading it.

Btw. May I ask at what level you played in Germany and how long ago ? It is ok with me if you want keep that to yourself.

fair enough, I mean he would know...but in my experience I came across very few teams (and individual) players who held any preference of physicality over technicality.

I agree there has been a convergence in part towards German footballing style, but it’s far from part of our culture. Barnsley are a great example of a team who are trying to play like a German side. I would imagine they would perform better in 2. Bundesliga than the Championship due to the slower pace, bias for technical football and lower physicality.

I played at Landesliga (Step 6) and Bayernliga (Step 5) during my time playing, but work took me away from the game. That was 2.5 years ago.

I keep wanting to restart but I wouldn’t go in any higher than the Kreisliga due to the time commitment needed. Even that level would require training twice a week and watching the 2nd team play first before our game...so still a fair time commitment 

Edit: another part of why German football culture is so interesting is the huge influx of E and SE European immigration. In England I mainly played with English people, maybe the odd Pole. Here I play regularly with Turks, Romanians, Greeks, Serbians, Poles, Austrians and Macedonians...each who bring some of their own footballing culture to the game.

Edited by McRightSide
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

I'll be honest if his loan deal is up January with potential to extend, then i'd say sign a new contract and extend your loan or take him back into the fold and give him some first team action - then try to sweeten him up and sign a new deal

We don't get many prospects, and he is one.    One which cost us nowt other than sunk costs.

Exactly this. If he signs a new contract then he can stay and play for the season, if he doesn't get him back and playing here to hopefully sign one soon.

7 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

fair enough, I mean he would know...but in my experience I came across very few teams (and individual) players who held any preference of physicality over technicality.

I agree there has been a convergence in part towards German footballing style, but it’s far from part of our culture. Barnsley are a great example of a team who are trying to play like a German side. I would imagine they would perform better in 2. Bundesliga than the Championship due to the slower pace, bias for technical football and lower physicality.

I played at Landesliga (Step 6) and Bayernliga (Step 5) during my time playing, but work took me away from the game. That was 2.5 years ago.

I keep wanting to restart but I wouldn’t go in any higher than the Kreisliga due to the time commitment needed. Even that level would require training twice a week and watching the 2nd team play first before our game...so still a fair time commitment 

Edit: another part of why German football culture is so interesting is the huge influx of E and SE European immigration. In England I mainly played with English people, maybe the odd Pole. Here I play regularly with Turks, Romanians, Greeks, Serbians, Poles, Austrians and Macedonians...each who bring some of their own footballing culture to the game.

It was a great read, thanks a lot for sharing. Hope you will get back to playing at level that you desire.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

Timing is everything though to be honest.

Looking as good as he did at that moment in time says more to me given how disjointed we were.

He was given the chance because of a situation that shouldn't have happened so in that respect he got a bit lucky, but he did initially take that chance and take it very well.   It went south because I think the whole squad had lost faith in the manager to be honest, and he was not the only player to lose form at that time.

Also the fact he was moved about every game..... LB to RW to CM to Left of front three !!! anyone's form would dip with that