Penney enjoying loan spell

Wednesday full back Matt Penney says he is thriving in Germany on loan with Bundesliga 2 side St Pauli.

The 21-year-old joined the Hamburg outfit in the summer, hoping to gain more experience from the temporary stint, and believes his decision to go abroad was the right one.

Penney said: “Me and the club had a chat and we said the best opportunity to get some regular games would be to go out on loan.

“I started looking out for loan moves and I got a call from the manager here who said he was interested in taking me and told me a lot about the league.

1294625766_2019-11-1318_26_35.thumb.png.f1c57c00e95bb33089ebe9d7b4aa97f6.png

“I decided to try something different by going abroad and I’m thriving off it at the minute and really enjoying it.”

Moving to a different country means having to adapt, particularly to a new language, but the Owls academy product is getting used to life in Germany.

“I was a bit anxious to start with about the language, but since I’ve been here I’ve picked up bits and bobs, so I can understand some of it, but most of the lads speak English so they help me out!

“I’m having German lessons, so I am picking it up and every week I learn a bit more.”

Penney featured in the Hamburg derby in September, with St Pauli winning 2-0 at the Millerntor-Stadion, and the full back says the atmospheres in Germany have been great to play in.

He added: “As soon as I got here, I realised it was a massive club, the average home attendance is around 30,000.

“It’s great to get back playing in front of big crowds in big games. The Hamburg derby when we won 2-0 was crazy, it’s been amazing.”

Penney first broke into the Owls side last season having been with the club’s academy since the age of eight, and wants to return to Wednesday a more experienced player.

“I just want to come over here, keep playing and keep challenging myself.

“Then when I come back to Wednesday I’ll be a better player with more experience under my belt having played regular football.

“I feel like I’m getting better and more confident with each game.

“The standard is really good, the atmospheres are really good and I’m playing regularly. I can’t complain at all!”

Since the Wednesdayite moved to Germany, Garry Monk has been appointed Owls manager, and Penney says he has a close eye on what’s happening back home.

He said: “We’ve obviously got a new manager now since I came here.

“I keep up to date with the boys and I can see they are absolutely flying at the minute which is great to see.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

A player who hopefully will get a chance on his return. Started well here but seemed to fall away as Dross lost game after game. Too much pressure was heaped upon players with very little first team experience.

Yeah, he's  best off well away from Luhukay.

:ph34r:

• Haha 4

He’s our best left this loan move will make him even better I’m looking forward to him returning 

wouldn’t be surprised if he makes that left back his own for after Christmas and be a real player for us back half of season 

8 minutes ago, SettleForADraw said:

We won’t get that will we? As they’re a German club?

Thought we get a small fee due to his young age and the fact that he came through our academy. Sure we got a pittance for George Hirst from Leicester, er, I mean the random Belgian club which Hirst entirely coincidentally and randomly signed for. 

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yeah, he's  best off well away from Luhukay.

:ph34r:

Different league different scenario. Football less paced and more technical far less physical. Doubt his improvement is down to Dross more the type of football played in Germany. Penney is technically sound and looks like German football suits him,the main concern is he doesn't agree a Bosman deal with the German side in January.

I'll be honest if his loan deal is up January with potential to extend, then i'd say sign a new contract and extend your loan or take him back into the fold and give him some first team action - then try to sweeten him up and sign a new deal

We don't get many prospects, and he is one.    One which cost us nowt other than sunk costs.

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Different league different scenario. Football less paced and more technical far less physical. Doubt his improvement is down to Dross more the type of football played in Germany. Penney is technically sound and looks like German football suits him,the main concern is he doesn't agree a Bosman deal with the German side in January.

Maybe German football suits Luhukay as well. His record over there is pretty decent, after all.

It's interesting that Penney is back playing under the only manager who's ever shown any faith in him. If St Pauli want him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him want to continue working with Luhukay.

Certainly got required stamina and pace that play left back role for us, and I'm sure we will get to see more of that left foot featured on linked video.

Just hope he will decide to come back and sign new long term deal with Wednesday.

Btw. Watching all of games he played for St Pauli I wouldn't say that Bundesliga 2 is any less physical or any slower then Championship.

• Like 1