Vivian Simpson MC

Just watching Bargain Hunt and they are talking about Vivian Simpson, who played for the Owls and at the time and was looked on as one of the best forwards playing at the time. He won his medai capturing a German trench in the battle of Oppy wood. He was shot by a sniper just before the war ended

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Perhaps just inappropriate particularly this week

Seriously, it might help folk in also remembering the fact that there was still heavy fighting....there was just shy of 11000 casualties after 11am on the last day, of which nearly 3000 perished...

1 hour ago, Flat Owl said:

Seriously, it might help folk in also remembering the fact that there was still heavy fighting....there was just shy of 11000 casualties after 11am on the last day, of which nearly 3000 perished...

And some of them were killed in fighting after the 11am ceasefire because officers wanted to gain "good" ground in case it was just a ceasefire and not the end of the war

3 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

There is information on him including some of his uniform in the Clifton Park Museum in Rotherham.  Well, there was when I last went. It may not be on show permanently, it might have been for the 100 year commemoration of the First World War.

Not sure if it's on permanent display, but the Clifton Park curator was interviewed showing various bits and pieces of memoroblillia.

Even more tragically, he was invalided back to England in 1917 only to return back to the front line the year after.

Proper hero.

My Grandad missed out on a football career because of the 2nd world war and i'm immensely proud of that.   He would have been a keeper for Chesterfield but alas never made a game.

First world war was a long time ago, something should be done to recognise our players who went out to fight in any war, especially those who didn't come back.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

My Grandad missed out on a football career because of the 2nd world war and i'm immensely proud of that.   He would have been a keeper for Chesterfield but alas never made a game.

First world war was a long time ago, something should be done to recognise our players who went out to fight in any war, especially those who didn't come back.

Thats a really good idea. There should be some form of memorial at the ground

On 07/11/2019 at 16:19, 31Dec1966 said:

There is information on him including some of his uniform in the Clifton Park Museum in Rotherham.  Well, there was when I last went. It may not be on show permanently, it might have been for the 100 year commemoration of the First World War.

That's where they were filming.