Couple of tough ones

1494932422_2019-11-0309_28_50.png.d5a7615cb9ab70c10a07eb097be5463a.png

Couple of very tough fixtures on the horizon. I think we have to hope that Bannans strain is nothing too serious. His loss to us yesterday was evident. As tidy as some of our play was- and there were some good bits which have been clouded by defeat - we don't have anyone really with his capability of switching the play. 

I am left wondering if it was the loss of Bannans ability to ping and spray the longer passes which was part of Monks thought process in not retaining the 4-4-2 which had made us look more than a match for Leeds United. 

Perhaps Monk knew that without the diminutive Jock our play wouldn't be as expansive and that is why he threw the extra body in there in Pelupessy. (Who, corners aside I don't think was as horrific as is being made out). Either way it's a results based business,  two errors by 3 of our most reliable players have cost us points, and Monk might well believe that it was still the right plan but poorly executed by the players.

It looked a 0-0 going into that last ten minutes and I certainly wouldn't have backed either team to nick it. Never mind one team to lead and then the other to pinch it.

Swansea another team capable of zipping the ball about at will, will Monk bring Big Atdhe back in to partner Fletcher?

Their last outing together was the best they have played as a pairing and gave us a real foothold in the game with the option to bypass Leeds' busy midfield.

Again though, so much of that quality early ball up to those two came from the vision and quick spotting of Bannan. With out him is it a genuine option? Or does Monk fear that we'd get caught trying to play through the thirds and out numbered with Lee, Pelupessy/Hutchinson?

Lots for him to think about in the build up to this one.

Groin injuries can be notoriously niggly and tricky to shake off. You think you're ok and then...tweak. Gone again. We made need patience with this one but with such a key player , such a vital component to our make up it couldn't have come at a worse time .  

• Like 2

To be fair, we lost both Bannan and Luongo yesterday which had a major effect on our game overall.
With both Pelupessy and Hutchinson playing their naturally defensive roles, it left only Lee who is still struggling for match sharpness, to supply any attacking creativity. 
We still look lightweight in the centre of midfield and our lack of adequate replacements is something that still needs addressing if a serious attempt at promotion is the aim. Some clever recruitment in the loan/ free transfer market needed. The new recruiters have been pretty good at unearthing hidden gems lately....more needed.

Would like to hear Monk’s thinking on how he decides whether we play 442 or 433/451.

Not knocking him but be nice to understand. 

For all we know he might have played 451 against Leeds if Luongo had been fit.

I suspect it’s whether he thinks our two forwards can dominate the opposing centre halves. They need to otherwise you are in trouble with 442.

I don’t like swapping formations all the time it shows we are not good enough to have our own style of play.

On 03/11/2019 at 10:47, Owling said:

We're all ways better in the so called tough ones.

no we’re not.

the only results we’ve had this season were against the strugglers. 

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I heard Jeff Stelling day on Saturday that Swansea are the only team in England that’s not lost away yet.

As soon as I heard that, I knew that we will beat them on Saturday.

It's OK Hirsty lad. Swansea's in that Welshwales place , dude, FFS lol 

• Haha 1