Just a nod to the Chairman.

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Well no cos if you only have tenner disposable income you'd spend it on something more worthwhile.

When you fall out the habit regardless of price you dont get back into easy. Always something else comes up or find an excuse.

Yet if we got to the Prem....

You fall outta the habit, when you find it not worth the outlay Birley..I agree its hard to drag 'em back

8 hours ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Must admit 2nd v 3rd Yorkshire derby,all the ground especially north did have more empty seats then i would have expected...

UTO FTFB..

With the restrictions i thought they don't sell tickets on the North anymore ? The allowed capacity being taken up by us ST holders

Another way of looking at it.

Started going to matches in the 70s and in 23 years I went to many away games and missed 4 home games. Before we had kids I used to travel from Lincolnshire for home games. When we had kids things like money and having to look after the kids whilst the Mrs was at work got in the way and as others have said you fall out of the habit. If I were to start going regularly again it would mean leaving home around 12 for the 2 hour drive then trying to find somewhere safe to park. After the game the journey home could and probably would be around 3 hours meaning i'd get in around 8. So an 8 hour day to watch a game I can listen to in the comfort of my home and see the goals if you know where to look. Maybe if I was younger maybe but I'm an old bugger .

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

People stopped going and fell out of the habit when we turned poo around 2000. Most havent come back.

Tickets at a £10 or £40 doesn't matter. When you don't go anymore you don't go.

that’s not true - I know it’s not true because i regularly am torn as to whether to go or not and I normally weigh it up on a cost / benefit ratio.

at c £40 - if it’s good opposition / meaningful fixture, if fair few of mates are going, if I can make a bit of a day out of it before and after etc - I’ll pay it.

if these things aren’t happening and it’s just a matter of walking down to the ground and back and handing over £40 I don’t bother - if it was £20/25 I would more than likely go down anyway.

If it’s on telly I never go. Again If it was more reasonably priced I probably would.

Edited by ka58

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, ka58 said:

that’s not true - I know it’s not true because i regularly am torn as to whether to go or not and I normally weigh it up on a cost / benefit ratio.

at c £40 - if it’s good opposition / meaningful fixture, if fair few of mates are going, if I can make a bit of a day out of it before and after etc - I’ll pay it.

if these things aren’t happening and it’s just a matter of walking down to the ground and back and handing over £40 I don’t bother - if it was £20/25 I would more than likely go down anyway.

If it’s on telly I never go. Again If it was more reasonably priced I probably would.

There are thousands of people thinking exactly like this. And that’s why a 20% increase on the gate if prices were dropped would be realistic 

Also, nobody has mentioned the long term with this. People often say things like ‘we’ve never got gates above X, so we wouldn’t with lower prices anyway’. But there’s a generational difference here too. 18-35 year olds are all about the experience and are more likely to pay for services than baby boomers. It’s bad that it isn’t accessible for them financially as imagine in 20 years when the older generation are no longer going.. will be harder to up gates then if people have literally never been regular attendees. They aren’t going to start at 50

24 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

There are thousands of people thinking exactly like this. And that’s why a 20% increase on the gate if prices were dropped would be realistic 

Also, nobody has mentioned the long term with this. People often say things like ‘we’ve never got gates above X, so we wouldn’t with lower prices anyway’. But there’s a generational difference here too. 18-35 year olds are all about the experience and are more likely to pay for services than baby boomers. It’s bad that it isn’t accessible for them financially as imagine in 20 years when the older generation are no longer going.. will be harder to up gates then if people have literally never been regular attendees. They aren’t going to start at 50

So why dont they do as you suggest?  Could it be that they have checked out the figures and it doesn't work?

Guest LondonOwl313
9 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

So why dont they do as you suggest?  Could it be that they have checked out the figures and it doesn't work?

Well two reasons I suspect.. first one is that I think revenue would be a bit lower than under the current system. But I think it wouldn’t be a massive difference and worth it. Not sure a football chairman would agree with that though 

Second reason is that it’s riskier. Current system provides most of the revenue up front from season tickets.. means it’s less dependent on performances on the pitch. You can only speculate on how it would work with lower prices until you actually try lower prices. Nobody knows for sure 

And it would only work if they committed to it for a full season. Not expecting them to change anything, but it ironically it might if we were promoted as gate receipts become a less important income stream

3 hours ago, darra said:

Another way of looking at it.

Started going to matches in the 70s and in 23 years I went to many away games and missed 4 home games. Before we had kids I used to travel from Lincolnshire for home games. When we had kids things like money and having to look after the kids whilst the Mrs was at work got in the way and as others have said you fall out of the habit. If I were to start going regularly again it would mean leaving home around 12 for the 2 hour drive then trying to find somewhere safe to park. After the game the journey home could and probably would be around 3 hours meaning i'd get in around 8. So an 8 hour day to watch a game I can listen to in the comfort of my home and see the goals if you know where to look. Maybe if I was younger maybe but I'm an old bugger .

It's a fair point and does not mean you're less of a supporter. With all the media saturation you can follow your club from anywhere by any means.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, torres said:

I’d love to see a full stadium-it could make such a difference, both on field and off field. 

It needs to start with bringing the cost of season tickets down. 

We have around 21k supporters that have dug deep to support their club - the club can’t pander to the part timer/casual attender to the determinant of the season ticket holder - because ultimately that would reduce overall attendance 

The problem DC has (of his own doing) is the multi year season tickets that are priced so wrongly - so we are stuck for 3 or 4 years 

So when I mention a plan to increase member numbers and have a £10 members day game asap - you thought it rubbish.

Right at this moment, we are in the hunt.

Still early enough in the season, to become a member - It's only financially sensible to link it with a members day £10 game, as its £50 for the membership.

If we have the chance to get to Wembley, The priority of a membership for ticketing/better seating becomes quite valuable.

25 minutes ago, vulva said:

DC is here to make money, not friends. 

Not so sure about making money, its a big unnecessary gamble if that is the sole purpose.

Hes lost several 10's of millions so far and counting despite getting us 1 game away from prem, and if he got us up would likely have to spend a few more 10's of mills to keep us there.

Some owners just love football, projects, challenges, gambles etc, who can say for sure what drives the very wealthy when they don't need any more money?

Edited by Ash77