Just a nod to the Chairman.

1 hour ago, vulva said:

DC is here to make money, not friends. 

Not according to him:

I have never thought about worth or value to myself or my family since I am here, I have never had one penny from Wednesday. I have always put our fans first and never thought about business because that would conflict with the ambitions and emotions everyone connected to our club has. Throughout my life, I have never done business before like this. Normally, a business will think of profit first but if we want to stay in this division and also have a chance of promotion, this is impossible and I understand that.

Some people think I want promotion to make a profit but the investment required to stay in the Premier League makes that impossible and it was never my intention anyway. It would probably take four or five years in the Premier League to break even and then more before anyone could even think about profit. So as an owner, until many years down the line, I lose either way.

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

So why dont they do as you suggest?  Could it be that they have checked out the figures and it doesn't work?

What doesn’t work? How can having a stadium of 35k plus not being filled work financially or for the benefit of the team.

if 2 millionaires stumped up 50% of the normal gate and sat on their own on the kop would that work?

there needs to be a balance and chansiri has never got that.

i don’t dislike the bloke - but I don’t think he has a clue what he’s doing - short termism on a massive scale.

if he really wanted to generate long term revenue - and build a fan base - he could do so much more.

particularly when there’s now a premier league side down the road unfortunately.

Think of all the people who live in the city who aren’t wednesday or united but living here for one - where would you take your kids for £40 a match - us or the premier league game? 

we should be trying to draw people to the club / not banking 23k fans at rip off prices.

9 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

So when I mention a plan to increase member numbers and have a £10 members day game asap - you thought it rubbish.

Right at this moment, we are in the hunt.

Still early enough in the season, to become a member - It's only financially sensible to link it with a members day £10 game, as its £50 for the membership.

If we have the chance to get to Wembley, The priority of a membership for ticketing/better seating becomes quite valuable.

Your idea is rubbish 

£60 a ticket isn’t going to be a goer is it??

7 hours ago, ka58 said:

What doesn’t work? How can having a stadium of 35k plus not being filled work financially or for the benefit of the team.

if 2 millionaires stumped up 50% of the normal gate and sat on their own on the kop would that work?

there needs to be a balance and chansiri has never got that.

i don’t dislike the bloke - but I don’t think he has a clue what he’s doing - short termism on a massive scale.

if he really wanted to generate long term revenue - and build a fan base - he could do so much more.

particularly when there’s now a premier league side down the road unfortunately.

Think of all the people who live in the city who aren’t wednesday or united but living here for one - where would you take your kids for £40 a match - us or the premier league game? 

we should be trying to draw people to the club / not banking 23k fans at rip off prices.

So produce the formula to make it work.  Agree 100% with your sentiments but we need to generate money and by charging lower prices it just doesn't work or he would do it why wouldn't he? 

1 minute ago, torres said:

Your idea is rubbish 

£60 a ticket isn’t going to be a goer is it??

There's loads of benefits to get fans onboard, like discounted tickets throughout the season etc...

But it's like talking to a brick wall with you. The membership comes at a cost, that can't be avoided but £10 for your first fixture would make it more appealing.

8 hours ago, the monk said:

Utter rubbish 

Why is it? DC need to generate as much income as possible to get the best team he can, to give him the best chance to get up. That might not fit into to the romantic idea of football, but we are where we are. 

Its business. Welcome to football in 2019. And tbf, there is a tipping point with prices. I honestly don’t think we’d fill the ground on a regular basis if it were free. 

8 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Not according to him:

I have never thought about worth or value to myself or my family since I am here, I have never had one penny from Wednesday. I have always put our fans first and never thought about business because that would conflict with the ambitions and emotions everyone connected to our club has. Throughout my life, I have never done business before like this. Normally, a business will think of profit first but if we want to stay in this division and also have a chance of promotion, this is impossible and I understand that.

Some people think I want promotion to make a profit but the investment required to stay in the Premier League makes that impossible and it was never my intention anyway. It would probably take four or five years in the Premier League to break even and then more before anyone could even think about profit. So as an owner, until many years down the line, I lose either way.

DC has done loads of good work here, but like Milan, and many more chairman, you’ve got to play to the crowd now and again. It’s a bit like players kissing the badge. I never quite believe it. 

9 hours ago, Ash77 said:

Not so sure about making money, its a big unnecessary gamble if that is the sole purpose.

Hes lost several 10's of millions so far and counting despite getting us 1 game away from prem, and if he got us up would likely have to spend a few more 10's of mills to keep us there.

Some owners just love football, projects, challenges, gambles etc, who can say for sure what drives the very wealthy when they don't need any more money?

Simple maths example

23,000 x 43 = £989k

x 23 = £22.7m

28,000 x 28 = £784k

x 23 = £18m

Difference nearly £5m. I’m not saying it’s right btw, but that’s why he’s adopting the pricing we have. It goes back to DCs point a while back about needing income, not money. This is as much about FFP as it is about DCs choice of ticket price. 

31 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

There's loads of benefits to get fans onboard, like discounted tickets throughout the season etc...

But it's like talking to a brick wall with you. The membership comes at a cost, that can't be avoided but £10 for your first fixture would make it more appealing.

Do you seriously think part timers - who by definition are not that bothered are going to part with £50 to be able to get a one of £10 ticket?

You have to have a bit of logic behind any ideas you have.

11 minutes ago, vulva said:

Simple maths example

23,000 x 43 = £989k

x 23 = £22.7m

28,000 x 28 = £784k

x 23 = £18m

Difference nearly £5m. I’m not saying it’s right btw, but that’s why he’s adopting the pricing we have. It goes back to DCs point a while back about needing income, not money. This is as much about FFP as it is about DCs choice of ticket price. 

Simple economic theory that Revenue = Quantity x Price. Then it gets a bit complicated after that to work out as you say the tipping point, which will vary per match based on opposition, tv coverage, league position and like on Saturday the weather.

The key to the peripheral takings is not revenue but profit. So 5000 extra folk in the ground will de facto increase the revenue but impact on profit will be marginal

On 27/10/2019 at 07:47, latemodelchild said:

They're both about the chairman? 

The first bit is praising him and the second bit asking him to make it a bit cheaper so we might get a few more fans in, thus maybe improving the atmosphere and selling a bit more food and drink. I think. 

Not read the full thread, but a genuine question. How much of a reduction do people want. Because when tickets were a decent price, against premiership opposition ( Everton) I didn’t notice that the ground was full? If bringing the price down only results in a few more turning up then all-it will do is add to our ffp promble?

28 minutes ago, vulva said:

DC has done loads of good work here, but like Milan, and many more chairman, you’ve got to play to the crowd now and again. It’s a bit like players kissing the badge. I never quite believe it. 

Well if he's trying to make money, then he could have done a lot better than ploughing his dosh into Sheffield Wednesday!

2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Not read the full thread, but a genuine question. How much of a reduction do people want. Because when tickets were a decent price, against premiership opposition ( Everton) I didn’t notice that the ground was full? If bringing the price down only results in a few more turning up then all-it will do is add to our ffp promble?

I guess no one knows the answer but Wednesday do have a wide geographical base of supporters. Why we get decent away day crowds on a Tuesday in London because I reckon a third of those attending live in that general area. 

I was tempted by the Everton game but a 5 hour round trip (which as I run a business as an opportunity cost to it) and min 30 quid in fuel the cost of the ticket was almost irrelevant

24 minutes ago, vulva said:

Our issue with income isn’t ticket prices, it’s the lack of commercial nouse around the edges to supplement this income stream. 

Totally agree with this.

We are currently and have been for a while so poor at this side. 

This was the one thing I was expecting DC to improve on his arrival - if anything it’s got worse!!

54 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

So produce the formula to make it work.  Agree 100% with your sentiments but we need to generate money and by charging lower prices it just doesn't work or he would do it why wouldn't he? 

if he’s only interested in the short term he might not do it.

its like over hunting isn’t it? You can kill all the deer’s now and have loads to eat - but there’ll be none tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, ka58 said:

if he’s only interested in the short term he might not do it.

its like over hunting isn’t it? You can kill all the deer’s now and have loads to eat - but there’ll be none tomorrow.

He's said thats hes here for the long term.  I've no idea with economics but surely he would put in place the answer if it was so straight forward.  

It's a bit harsh on the deer isn't it? 

34 minutes ago, torres said:

Do you seriously think part timers - who by definition are not that bothered are going to part with £50 to be able to get a one of £10 ticket?

You have to have a bit of logic behind any ideas you have.

There's only 2 ways to get people onboard.

Ticket bundles and Membership Offers.

You could also add any ticket bundle is only available to members. 

Then add the discounts on other fixtures and wembley priority (fingers crossed) 

£50 seems a very viable option

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Why is it? DC need to generate as much income as possible to get the best team he can, to give him the best chance to get up. That might not fit into to the romantic idea of football, but we are where we are. 

Its business. Welcome to football in 2019. And tbf, there is a tipping point with prices. I honestly don’t think we’d fill the ground on a regular basis if it were free. 

Yes but there is only about 1-2k that walk up.now that ain't going to buy a lot,  hence embargo ,hence ground sold 

Sounds like a reyt plan this 

Edited by the monk