Reach

1 minute ago, s6 owl said:

It must be a mentality thing and that's why I say we'll never get out of this league while ever we are carrying players like Adam Reach week in week out.

Mentality from the fans maybe. He has provided 25% of our goals for nearly 4 seasons now. We are not carrying him in any way.

Just now, s6 owl said:

It must be a mentality thing and that's why I say we'll never get out of this league while ever we are carrying players like Adam Reach week in week out.

6 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

But the fact is, although he’s been one of our highest creators, he’s had no one to challenge those fairly average stats. Watch Harris far exceed anything he does this season. 

You look at Harris as a winger, and he shows all the attributes Reach doesn’t - pace, determination, trickery, two-footed crosses, gets his foot in, doesn’t shy away.

Reach gets the ball and has no clue what to do with it. That’s not a winger 

Agreed 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Opinions opinions. I think Reach is poor in CM. Much better wide.

I look at it like this....

We seem to be going mainly 433. I’m glad. I think that suits our current squad well.

We have four players for the two wide forward shirts - Harris, Reach, Forestieri and Murphy.

Murphy has been disappointing. Can’t start.

Reach and Harris have been a successful pairing. They are fit. It works.

Forestieri has the ability to be better than both of them. However, for whatever reason, our team has been a complete disaster when he has started. Relegation form over those 16 games. Therefore, he needs to win back his place, not be handed it against all logic.

In the Stoke and Leeds games our wide players have to play a combined 360 minutes. I very much hope that Forestieri gets some time against Stoke, for whichever of Harris or Reach tires or under-performs. Forestieri should be like a coiled spring. If he gets 30 minutes on Tuesday he has a golden opportunity to make himself undroppable for dirty Leeds. Once he has the shirt, it’s his to lose.

If we can go thru our remaining 34 games with almost every single minute being shared by Harris, Reach and Forestieri, according to fitness, fatigue and form, we will surely be a top six side come May.

I think that only tells us half the story When you are a wide man in a 4-3-3, particularly when your central striker isn’t prolific, you need a lot more. In this system, Harris and Reach are wide attackers, a completely different role to a winger in a 4-4-2 set up.

2 minutes ago, Minton said:

Does he need to be a team leader to be good though? Look at his games played, goals scored and goals assisted stats and tell me he is crap.

Untitled 2.jpg

8 goals & 7 assists in 42 games which is his most productive isn’t anything to write home about when you look at where he played for the majority of last season I would suggest 

The amount of games he has played well in must be in single figures for 2 seasons now 

The one positive is he plays so many games but when you are nowhere near the play you are highly unlikely to get injured 

Apologies if anyone else has posted this already but here's the Championship team of the Month for September (from whoscored.com based on each player's effectiveness for their team).

I really don't understand why Reach gets such a hard time from our fans many of whom don't seem that keen on Bannan either (also featured in that 'team'). Why don't we just enjoy having players like this in our side.

Championship best.png

22 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Apologies if anyone else has posted this already but here's the Championship team of the Month for September (from whoscored.com based on each player's effectiveness for their team).

I really don't understand why Reach gets such a hard time from our fans many of whom don't seem that keen on Bannan either (also featured in that 'team'). Why don't we just enjoy having players like this in our side.

Championship best.png

Just seeing Glatzel alongside Fletcher discredits those stats Sometimes you have to trust your eyes 

Going on those stats, Zaha is one of the worst performing players in that position, in the Premier League. 

My eyes tell me something else

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the monk said:

Just because someone on a forum mentions 10m doesn't mean that's what he is worth 

The club cant sell him if there is no one interested ,same as Rhodes 

Hardly comparable. Reach starts week in week out. Every manager at the club has rated him. Rhodes on the other hand cant get a look in. We could sell Reach tomorrow with no difficulty. Maybe not 10 million but we would make back more than we paid for him.

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Just seeing Glatzel alongside Fletcher discredits those stats Sometimes you have to trust your eyes 

Going on those stats, Zaha is one of the worst performing players in that position, in the Premier League. 

My eyes tell me something else

But Reach has been famously undroppable by every manager since he arrived here. Those who live and die by their opinions of players must have been happy with his contribution. There's not much likelihood of him being dropped after such a 'shocking' performance. The stats suggest he was the best wide-right midfielder in the Championship last month. Maybe there's more to this than you are seeing.

26 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

But Reach has been famously undroppable by every manager since he arrived here. Those who live and die by their opinions of players must have been happy with his contribution. There's not much likelihood of him being dropped after such a 'shocking' performance. The stats suggest he was the best wide-right midfielder in the Championship last month. Maybe there's more to this than you are seeing.

I think I am generally realistic in my assessment of his, or any other players performances There have been plenty of times when he has contributed, but you always get the feeling he has the ability to deliver more. He is nowhere near the best wide right attacker, whatever the stats might say. Even based on the stats, there are at least half a dozen wide players with more goals and assists

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Opinions opinions. I think Reach is poor in CM. Much better wide.

I look at it like this....

We seem to be going mainly 433. I’m glad. I think that suits our current squad well.

We have four players for the two wide forward shirts - Harris, Reach, Forestieri and Murphy.

Murphy has been disappointing. Can’t start.

Reach and Harris have been a successful pairing. They are fit. It works.

Forestieri has the ability to be better than both of them. However, for whatever reason, our team has been a complete disaster when he has started. Relegation form over those 16 games. Therefore, he needs to win back his place, not be handed it against all logic.

In the Stoke and Leeds games our wide players have to play a combined 360 minutes. I very much hope that Forestieri gets some time against Stoke, for whichever of Harris or Reach tires or under-performs. Forestieri should be like a coiled spring. If he gets 30 minutes on Tuesday he has a golden opportunity to make himself undroppable for dirty Leeds. Once he has the shirt, it’s his to lose.

If we can go thru our remaining 34 games with almost every single minute being shared by Harris, Reach and Forestieri, according to fitness, fatigue and form, we will surely be a top six side come May.

360 minutes for the next two matches, Holmy ?? I hope there aren't that many stoppages FFS. lol 

19 hours ago, owls79 said:

Yes I know this has been done before but I’m astounded nobody has brought his performance up tonight. Fair enough they say he helps defence and does a lot of tracking back but as an attacking option I’m sorry to say he was shocking. I can’t remember 1 cross he actually put into there area. 

I think your clueless just my opinion 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AndersonOWL said:

Reach's best time was when everyone else was injured, now he is back to being a sideman. Too slow for the wing, too sloppy for centre midfield and too weak for full back. 

Someone finally gets it. He benefited from a host of injuries, and even then only put up average stats. The love in for him on here is bewildering 

14 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Someone finally gets it. He benefited from a host of injuries, and even then only put up average stats. The love in for him on here is bewildering 

I must have missed this "love in". 

Every week he has a thread dedicated to how crap he is. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

360 minutes for the next two matches, Holmy ?? I hope there aren't that many stoppages FFS. lol 

2 wings x 2 matches x 90 minutes = 360 minutes

QED

Never knew what QED meant. 

47 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I must have missed this "love in". 

Every week he has a thread dedicated to how crap he is. 

And then about a hundred saying we’re talking shiiite and he’s one of the best in the league. The facts are he’s an average championship midfielder 

In my opinion, we need better options than Reach and Fletcher, if we want to challenge It doesn’t mean we have to discard them though, as like most of our players, they’ll have a role to play In fact, you could say it’s a mark of where we are, if we are looking for better than those two. 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

In my opinion, we need better options than Reach and Fletcher, if we want to challenge It doesn’t mean we have to discard them though, as like most of our players, they’ll have a role to play In fact, you could say it’s a mark of where we are, if we are looking for better than those two. 

What more can Fletcher do? His performance have been very good and he more than does his job, he just needs a partner so we can score more goals as a team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Fletcher is one of our best players.