Reach

13 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

What more can Fletcher do? His performance have been very good and he more than does his job, he just needs a partner so we can score more goals as a team. 

Probably nothing, he’s playing the best football of his career. In the system we play, using a lone target man, he doesn’t offer enough attacking options though Were we to change to a 4-4-2, then he might be more effective, with the right person alongside. I don’t think we will change to a 4-4-2 though, other than perhaps for the odd game. So for me, that means bringing in a more complete centre forward, or replace the wingers with wide attackers so the goals can be shared around

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Probably nothing, he’s playing the best football of his career. In the system we play, using a lone target man, he doesn’t offer enough attacking options though Were we to change to a 4-4-2, then he might be more effective, with the right person alongside. I don’t think we will change to a 4-4-2 though, other than perhaps for the odd game. So for me, that means bringing in a more complete centre forward, or replace the wingers with wide attackers so the goals can be shared around

I agree with your last point, as I’d personally blame the players behind him for not pulling their weight, bar Harris. 

Fletcher has been nothing short of fantastic but can’t do it all by himself. I despise playing up one top, always have. 

Westwood 

Palmer     Iorfa        Borner          Fox 

Hutch 

Bannan 

Luongo.          Harris ->

NEW.     Fletch 

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

2 wings x 2 matches x 90 minutes = 360 minutes

QED

Never knew what QED meant. 

It stands for Quantum Electro-Dynamics, one of the branches of Quantum Mechanics (QM).  

As for Reach, the Wednesday Wings, and so forth, this Thread makes many valid points, based upon the same number of Opinions.  

The main issues seem to be, in order, that Reach is not a tough-guy, doesn't score enough, and has no "football brain" which results in him not knowing what to do with the ball, when he get's the ball.  For me, I wouldn't throw him out just yet, but if somebody came along with a reasonable offer, I might think about accepting such an offer, and that goes for any of the Wednesday Squad.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I agree with your last point, as I’d personally blame the players behind him for not pulling their weight, bar Harris. 

Fletcher has been nothing short of fantastic but can’t do it all by himself. I despise playing up one top, always have. 

Westwood 

Palmer     Iorfa        Borner          Fox 

Hutch 

Bannan 

Luongo.          Harris ->

NEW.     Fletch 

Palmer provides no attacking threat whatsoever. For someone who used to play in midfield he’s terrible with the ball at his feet but in this system he’s the only outlet on the right hand side. Harris is playing well but you’ve moved him to play in to the centre so we can accommodate an extra striker. 

Our current forwards are Nuhiu, Rhodes Winnall and FF. Which of these forwards do you think are worth bringing in to that position?

22 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Reach is a left winger. We paid 5 million for a left winger who showed ability in that position both at Boro and Preston.

Since he’s signed for us, he’s played left back, centre mid, right mid, behind the striker. I don’t think he’s ever played more than five games in his ACTUAL position.

We’ve killed the lad yet his goals and assist return over the past couple of years has been one of the best in the division. Play to his strengths and we will reap the rewards. 

Killed him ? Did Sheffield Wednesday make him nesh challenges , and offer little in games ? No . The lads got no bottle or will to win . Mediocre at best . Would love to get some money for him to find a couple of decent loans in January 

Can I just clarify again, what I am talking about here, the balance of our front three, won’t deliver us the goals that are needed. 

To many, such a statement doesn’t make sense, and it’s easy to see why they may think that. Fletcher, leading the line, is perhaps in the form of his career, flanked on one side by Harris, whose pace causes the best defences problems, and on the other side by Reach. Now Reach may be overrated by many of us, but he is still one of the better wide players in the division. 

So what’s the problem? Well, in short, as a front three, they won’t score enough goals. None of them have ever been prolific, plus they all possess a limited skill set, which reduces the options we have for scoring different types of goals. 

For us to make this system work, we need to add different options to the front three. That means, either finding someone who can replace Fletcher, who could deliver us 25+ goals a season, or replace one, or both of the out and out wingers, with wide attackers. That, in my opinion, will be the tough choices facing Monk in January

4 hours ago, robswfc said:

Except a few games ago vs. Boro where he was easily MOM

I wouldn't say easily man of the match but you are right he was among our best performers that day. Your first word is the most important though. This season and a fair few games in the 2nd half of last season, performances like the one at Boro have been the exception to the norm for him and it is fair to expect more. 

2 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

If you are gonna play Reach and Harris up top in a front 3, please please please Monk give them a go on their stronger foot sides. Reach on the left and Harris on the right ....

Yes that might help, but a front three of Harris, Fletcher and Reach, won’t get you promotion

19 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

If you are gonna play Reach and Harris up top in a front 3, please please please Monk give them a go on their stronger foot sides. Reach on the left and Harris on the right ....

Been saying this for a few weeks. Neither player looks comfortable, especially when they’re stretching to put a cross in on their weaker side. 

Guest LittleG
23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes that might help, but a front three of Harris, Fletcher and Reach, won’t get you promotion

You are correct, but also a front 3 which includes FF instead of Reach also won't get us promotion and I'm not knocking either one of them. We still need additions to the team;  our forward options are very poor, we still need a dominant midfielder and improvement at full backs.

Guest LittleG
On 20/10/2019 at 06:58, 83owl said:

Palmer provides no attacking threat whatsoever. For someone who used to play in midfield he’s terrible with the ball at his feet but in this system he’s the only outlet on the right hand side. Harris is playing well but you’ve moved him to play in to the centre so we can accommodate an extra striker. 

Our current forwards are Nuhiu, Rhodes Winnall and FF. Which of these forwards do you think are worth bringing in to that position?

Thats just one of the problems we have. There are stats to suggest that FF is best when played out wide and the other 3 are just not good enough; it's the first area we need to address in Jan.

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Looked at individually, you might be able to make a good case for all of those three, plus Forestieri, but collectively, they’re all wrong

I wouldn't say 'they're all wrong'. Harris & Fletcher have been great. It's not quite happening on our right side for Reach or Murphy. That's the problem. A couple more goals from those two at this stage may have put us amongst the front runners. 

On 19/10/2019 at 09:51, daveyboy66 said:

And this weeks scapegoat is...

Couldn't agree more. It just rotates in football i guess, fans have to get wound up by something. Blame culture, it has to be someones fault. Friday we were better for 60 minutes, should have had 2 but cracked the bar with our free-kick. They were better for 30 mInutes and curled their free-kick into the corner. That's football, move on. Overall we played well and i include Reach in the team performance. He would be in my starting 11 and he is beating Murphy to a place in the team. I think Harris coming in and having a belting season isn't helping, but that suddenly doesn't make Reach terrible like some are making out on here. If we had a right footed Harris then he would play, but we don't so reach is playing on the other wing, centre mid, left back, up front and where ever else we haven't got suitable cover. Because he is a team player. Also he covers these positions well. Tell Fletch to go play centre mid, or fessi to play left back or Bannan up front. Because he is a good team player willing to cover gaps is not his fault. Lay off him.

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

I wouldn't say 'they're all wrong'. Harris & Fletcher have been great. It's not quite happening on our right side for Reach or Murphy. That's the problem. A couple more goals from those two at this stage may have put us amongst the front runners. 

I certainly can’t find a potent combination there. Whatever way you look at it, there won’t be enough goals in that trio. Replace any one of them with a goalscorer, and things might look different