Reach

It’s the same points brought up after every single game for the majority of his time here. 

I’ve thought for a long time it’s his attitude that his is main downfall 

Not in terms of running or distance covered but in actual self belief, aggression, the will to succeed and make any positive influence on a game.

As a so called attacking player, his first thought is to go backwards too many times, he rarely comes looking to get involved or stamp any authority on the game. 

He appears far too happy playing a role on the periphery of the game. 

For someone with his attributes he is a shadow of what he could be.

I hope for the special Reach to turn up in every game but it just doesn’t happen. He works hard and runs far but there were moments in that first half last night where you had to question his actions. Even the commentator was surprised when he didn’t keep a ball in play, he seemed to slow his run down and get to the ball too late.  And another time he could have leathered the ball at goal but instead tried to run past a defender in the box.

sadly I think he’s bordering on the flatters to deceive category, and of our starting line up it’s probably his position/role where we need someone more influential in games

6 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

I hope for the special Reach to turn up in every game but it just doesn’t happen. He works hard and runs far but there were moments in that first half last night where you had to question his actions. Even the commentator was surprised when he didn’t keep a ball in play, he seemed to slow his run down and get to the ball too late.  And another time he could have leathered the ball at goal but instead tried to run past a defender in the box.

sadly I think he’s bordering on the flatters to deceive category, and of our starting line up it’s probably his position/role where we need someone more influential in games

This 

17 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Because Murphy is one of the worst players to wear a Wednesday shirt in the last 5 years and other than that there isn't really anyone else. Now FF is back, that may change. 

both the Murphy brothers are the same, somehow they managed to get premier league contracts but in reality their contribution to games and consistency could be equalled by a league 1 player. 

i’d send ours back in January and try to get someone more influential. Maybe the Hidalgo boy will show more ability in his time with us before then 

Just now, gurujuan said:

Our right wing options in Murphy and Reach are weak, and I’d switch Harris over to the right, which will do wonders for his crossing, and play Forestieri on the left. We need somebody in the forward areas with a football brain

Reach is a left winger. We paid 5 million for a left winger who showed ability in that position both at Boro and Preston.

Since he’s signed for us, he’s played left back, centre mid, right mid, behind the striker. I don’t think he’s ever played more than five games in his ACTUAL position.

We’ve killed the lad yet his goals and assist return over the past couple of years has been one of the best in the division. Play to his strengths and we will reap the rewards. 

The thing with Reach is that while he might look awkward at times, he is effective in that he covers a lot of yards, defensively he covers well and always a willing runner going forward, contributing assists. 

I think his current position is a pragmatic move by Monk. I think he may best be suited in a midfield 3. I know many may disagree, but I think it suits his game better to attack from deep and acknowledging his weaknesses in a tackle, energy and closing down in that area would be an advantage.

Edited by striker

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Our right wing options in Murphy and Reach are weak, and I’d switch Harris over to the right, which will do wonders for his crossing, and play Forestieri on the left. We need somebody in the forward areas with a football brain

Returning the favour, this^
I hope to see a forward three of FF, Fletch and Harris on Tuesday, with Bannan, Hutch and Luongo in the middle. 
but due to Reach’s work rate it seems he’s undroppable so will be interesting how Monk plays it 

Monk has stated several times now that he’s a big believer in doing the basic things correctly. 
The basics of wing play are to use the width of the pitch, get crosses to strikers and track back to cover defensively when needed.
Last night Reach did little of these basic elements. The only reason I see for him being deployed there is the occasional chance of a long range shot when cutting inside. Every Championship team is now wise to this and find it easy to counter..

So why not get back to basics and use our right footed winger, Harris on the right and our left footer, Reach on the left where they have the ability to get those  crosses in. If Reach still doesn’t show some form I am certain Forestieri will be more than ready to replace him there. Forestieri has always been at his most effective playing on the left. True he is not a conventional winger but it’s where most of his goals have come from.

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Can’t help thinking, Reach runs a lot, but to little effect There was so much space for him to attack in front of Cardiff’s back line, but he never looked to capitalise. We are carrying him at the moment

His “work rate” is just running about.  Might has well have Mo Farrah out wide. 

9 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Noticed it a few times tonight. It’s a half hearted jump with his head tucked in. Criminal 

He hides. He tries to make it look like he's working hard and going all out. But he's a powderpuff in the challenge. He ducked out of so many headers last night which he should have been challenging for. He also seems to have lost a yard of pace. There was at least one ball he should have kept in at the byline.  He's a luxury player who you'd bring on when we're winning and the opposition are beaten and heads down. He's been the weak link all season so far. I'd rather see Lee on the pitch than him at the moment.

Edited by OwlBiSeeinThi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1