REACH FLETCHER PARTNERSHIP.

For me reach needs to play wide either in the 4-4-2 or 4-1-2-2-1 system we were employing under bully. 

He's much more effective out wide and would give us a different option when rotated in and out with the speed merchants Harris & Murphy. 

Personally I'd Love to see reach on the left wing Harris on the right have a run of games, so they could learn to swap wings and cross over allowing reach to come inside on from the right and crack some shots off too. Would give us something different and make us less predictable offensively. 

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

He dosnet have warhursts attitude either, he knew how to use his build and strength effectively, if I remember was probably quicker too back then. 

Warhurst was rapid.

Also loved to run with the ball out of defense.

We could do with someone like him now - in defence!

Personally if we are going to try something like this i would stick Reach and Harris on the wings and Murphy up top with Fletcher. Murphy has pace to get in behind and feed off drop downs from Fletch. Plus i think Reach is such a good crosser of the ball it would be a shame to lose this. I think for this though you would lose your 3 man midfield as Murphy could drop slightly deeper, but not enough like Reach does. So for this formation you would need Hutch or Luongo to play in a midfield 2 with Lee and Bannan for strength. I would personally try Bannan and Hutch in a 2 and tell Bannan he has to dictate play and feed balls into Fletch and Murphy quickly. If he can't join up play then try Lee or Luongo in the role instead. Would be a slight variation between 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 with the flexibility to drop to 4-5-1 if under pressure by sliding Reach into midfield if we are struggling to gain the ball. I'm sure the Monk will figure it out.

4 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Must admit that i hadn't considered this , but I think, and having seen his goal collection,, I think this could work. he is not the conventional 'big,burly , bustling CF of old, but seems to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time and is certainly a clinical finisher. He certainly has a knack of 'neshing' tackles in midfield, although much of this is often not 'neshing' but often pulling out of tackles he does not winl This may well be worth a try especially when we are without FF for 6 games. 

And there is no doubt he has one advantage over the majority of our other players - he can find the goal! 

sorry have to disagree about the clinical finisher - he aint

Maybe from outside the box is what you mean?

He was through one on one v Barnsley early on and should have scored 

Friendly v Villareal he fluffed his lines twice inside the box in similar situations 

If he was that clinical finisher surely previous managers would have already have looked into this idea 

Not against giving it a go in light of where are goals gonna come from but thing is with Reach no one probably including himself really knows how best to use him 

This is why I also think we could sell, make money and not miss him too much

Good energy but part from his wonder goals he doesn't command or dictate play and can't think of a time when I've walked away thinking 'Reach has had a stormer' like have with others eg Bannan, FF, or even when defenders eg Hector, Lees have been commanding  

Guest addedtime
31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Or the same single mindedness in front of goal

Indeed. That golden season, he was like a machine. Completely ruthless.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Reach shows no strikers instinct at all, and I feel he’d be lost. With his height, and finishing ability, you’d think he might get goals aplenty, but he never attacks the far post, even when it’s obvious a cross is going to come in

3 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Have to agree cant see Reach being used as a striker.

2 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Reach is wasted down the middle.

He just doesn't get involved enough for me.

57 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Warhurst was rapid.

Also loved to run with the ball out of defense.

We could do with someone like him now - in defence!

42 minutes ago, addedtime said:

Or pace

39 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Or the same single mindedness in front of goal

38 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Or the will to win 

7 minutes ago, addedtime said:

Indeed. That golden season, he was like a machine. Completely ruthless.

so in all honesty all Warhurst and reach have in common is, they both owned football boots.

12 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Some fabulous goals there. More of the same please Adam.

a top class striker (with very few exceptions such a shearer) doesn't score 'fabulous goals' gerd muller, clive allen, allan clarke, jimmy greaves, drogbha, fowler, andy cole are generally big numbers men, and not goal of the season winners.

Reach has never been played as an out and out striker. Yes , he was played occasionally on the wing, . He has , however scored many goals from the old 'inside ' positions. and has  proved he can score form either inside or outside the box, with either foot, and with his head. He has also been a provider/assister.

My own view is that he would either play as an out and out winger, or just behind the attacking forward/Fletcher. He is very much the goal poacher type of player and can run onto forward balls. He is a far bigger danger when playing forward than Bannan, who's shooting is  not of the best quality in fact it's rather crap even when shooting in warm ups.

I also think that Reach tends to be a bit 'light' when playing a mid-field role, but his scoring record is as good as  any we have.

I personally think it's worth a try. the one thing we have been missing for a long time is a striker who knows where the goal is, something Reach has shown  appliees to him.

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

Would prefer to stick Reach on the left and stick Harris upfront.

With his speed, power and skill, Harris would be a nightmare for defenders and a quick outlet if needed to turn defence into attack. 

I know what you’re trying to say, but in a way, Harris is up front. Although it’s alien to all our wide players to look to get close to Fletcher, in a 4-3-3, thats what they have to do To be fair, Harris is the one who’s tried to do that.