REACH FLETCHER PARTNERSHIP.

Reach had always been a LW until we got him.

Harris had always been a RW until we got him.

Call it a wild stab I the dark but I suspect Monk will want to see them in their career-long position before he starts experimenting.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Call it a wild stab I the dark but I suspect Monk will want to see them in their career-long position before he starts experimenting.

The idea of the wide players not playing on their natural side, is to get them into more scoring positions In effect, in a 4-3-3, they are acting as wide attackers, who need to weigh in with their share of goals. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

The idea of the wide players not playing on their natural side, is to get them into more scoring positions In effect, in a 4-3-3, they are acting as wide attackers, who need to weigh in with their share of goals. 

Reach and Harris score from either side. I looked it up.

4 hours ago, tarn owl said:

Personally if we are going to try something like this i would stick Reach and Harris on the wings and Murphy up top with Fletcher. Murphy has pace to get in behind and feed off drop downs from Fletch. Plus i think Reach is such a good crosser of the ball it would be a shame to lose this. I think for this though you would lose your 3 man midfield as Murphy could drop slightly deeper, but not enough like Reach does. So for this formation you would need Hutch or Luongo to play in a midfield 2 with Lee and Bannan for strength. I would personally try Bannan and Hutch in a 2 and tell Bannan he has to dictate play and feed balls into Fletch and Murphy quickly. If he can't join up play then try Lee or Luongo in the role instead. Would be a slight variation between 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 with the flexibility to drop to 4-5-1 if under pressure by sliding Reach into midfield if we are struggling to gain the ball. I'm sure the Monk will figure it out.

The whilst I agree with playing Reach out wide. 

I think the whole playing bazza in the cm of a two has been done to death. 

It worked first season till everyone found out he can't play when pressured or pressed. He became in effective and would be further back than hutch. 

Hence why  Carlos did what every other club and manager that bazza had previously played for did and moved him into space wide left mid where he could still be effective. 

For me when Loungo & lee get fully fit and now we have a proper manager who's far better tactically (no disrespect to bully) 

I'd fully expect us to play to generally keep the three in cm with reach rotating with Murphy & Harris on the wings. 

If we do go back to 4-4-2 I honestly espext us to play with a two of hutch Loungo or Lee, with bazza wide left mid. 

13 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

It worked first season till everyone found out he can't play when pressured or pressed. He became in effective and would be further back than hutch. 

Hence why  Carlos did what every other club and manager that bazza had previously played for did and moved him into space wide left mid where he could still be effective. 

For me when Loungo & lee get fully fit and now we have a proper manager who's far better tactically (no disrespect to bully) 

I'd fully expect us to play to generally keep the three in cm with reach rotating with Murphy & Harris on the wings. 

If we do go back to 4-4-2 I honestly espext us to play with a two of hutch Loungo or Lee, with bazza wide left mid. 

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I know what you’re trying to say, but in a way, Harris is up front. Although it’s alien to all our wide players to look to get close to Fletcher, in a 4-3-3, thats what they have to do To be fair, Harris is the one who’s tried to do that.

Depends how you play 4-3-3

Klopps style is the best example of the tactics you describe. Salah and Mane play the width of the penalty area on their “wrong side” as inside forwards. Liverpool’s width comes from their full-backs. For us to do this I would go with Harris and Forestieri as our inside forwards: Iorfa and Reach as our full-backs: Lee, Hutchinson and Luongo in midfield 

Peps 4-3-3 is different with wide forwards on their “right side” to make the pitch as big as possible when city win the ball back. City’s width comes more from their wingers with midfielders flooding the box. For us to do this I would go with Harris and Murphy as wingers: Palmer and Fox as “stay at home” full-backs. With Hutch as our Fernandinho, Lee as our De Bruyne and Bannan as our Silva. 

19 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I know what you’re trying to say, but in a way, Harris is up front. Although it’s alien to all our wide players to look to get close to Fletcher, in a 4-3-3, thats what they have to do To be fair, Harris is the one who’s tried to do that.

If he ever gets on the pitch again, Forestieri is the most natural wide player to get close to Fletcher. Agree I would go for Harris as the other wide player 

19 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

If we did go 4-4-2 I would pick 2 from Hutch, Lee, Luongo in CM and 2 from Murphy, Harris, Reach out wide. 

Fletch plus one from Rhodes, Winnal or Borukov up top. 

No place for Fessi or Bannan in a 4-4-2 (which I know is likely to get me lynched on OT) but they just don’t suit the system. 

Also, not much love for Rhodes or Winnal on OT but they are the only 2 natural “second strikers” in the squad 

4 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

If we did go 4-4-2 I would pick 2 from Hutch, Lee, Luongo in CM and 2 from Murphy, Harris, Reach out wide. 

Fletch plus one from Rhodes, Winnal or Borukov up top. 

No place for Fessi or Bannan in a 4-4-2 (which I know is likely to get me lynched on OT) but they just don’t suit the system. 

Also, not much love for Rhodes or Winnal on OT but they are the only 2 natural “second strikers” in the squad 

Don't know what's going on with Winnall? Bud. 

Looked like a proper old school centerforward at Barnsley, tough, aggressive, loved a battle with defenders and scoredplenty of goals. 

We did see glimpses before the Nando debacle, handbags, spat call it what ever and while on loan with Derby. 

Though till now he's just not recaptured that form while here,hopefully under monk with a clean sheet maybe he could, as I think if he could he's the closest in style to be able to deputise for fletch if injured or needs a rest. 

1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

Don't know what's going on with Winnall? Bud. 

Looked like a proper old school centerforward at Barnsley, tough, aggressive, loved a battle with defenders and scoredplenty of goals. 

We did see glimpses before the Nando debacle, handbags, spat call it what ever and while on loan with Derby. 

Though till now he's just not recaptured that form while here,hopefully under monk with a clean sheet maybe he could, as I think if he could he's the closest in style to be able to deputise for fletch if injured or needs a rest. 

For years now we haven’t been able to create chances for our forwards. May, Hooper, Rhodes and Winnal we’re proven forwards when they came here. When you what them on tactics cam on Sky ( I know, I’m a saddo ) they all made great runs and found space in the box but we haven’t had creative midfield players to see the runs or play them in or wingers to consistently deliver the ball into the channel between 6 yard box and penalty spot. 

I also think successive managers haven’t really trusted an out and out striker by giving them a run of 10 games or so and let them of defensive duties. It seems to be the modern way

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

For years now we haven’t been able to create chances for our forwards. May, Hooper, Rhodes and Winnal we’re proven forwards when they came here. When you what them on tactics cam on Sky ( I know, I’m a saddo ) they all made great runs and found space in the box but we haven’t had creative midfield players to see the runs or play them in or wingers to consistently deliver the ball into the channel between 6 yard box and penalty spot. 

I also think successive managers haven’t really trusted an out and out striker by giving them a run of 10 games or so and let them of defensive duties. It seems to be the modern way

Hooper scored goals, and you can’t put him in the same bracket as the other three, who are quite honestly, pretty useless

On 09/09/2019 at 19:21, Holmowl said:

Remember reading a piece from Simon Grayson (sp?) when we signed Reach. Grayson wanted to sign him for Preston (but couldn’t afford the fee) who he had been on loan at. Said they played Reach at left wing, left wingback and role in behind the striker. 

Edit: Not at the same time!

Edited by Walt

Reach isn't technical enough to play no10 role imo.

He's a strong runner and is best bombing up and down, box to box or touchline to byline.

It's telling that after a few years nobody really knows his best position, but even though hes a bit jack of all trades hes a versatile and very useful squad player.

He's reliable, solid and can be shifted about for the teams sake possibly at the expense of his own.

Out of lwb in 532, cm, lcm in a 3, lm or rm in a 4, rw or lw in a front 3, he might best suit lm in a 4 putting low crosses in, with a proper winger like harris on the right, but we dont play 442.

In 433 probably lcm where a lot of ground needs to be covered, but that leaves lee out so either rw in a 3, where he may be fairly ineffective or lw.

If he played lw in a 3, harris would need to get in the box near fletcher and reach in the box when harris had it on right, but they might be shooting on their weaker foots!

Maybe try swapping harris and reach round in a 433 then to see what works best? Murphy sub for now.

35 minutes ago, Walt said:

Remember reading a piece from Simon Grayson (sp?) when we signed Reach. Grayson wanted to sign him for Preston (but couldn’t afford the fee) who he had been on loan at. Said they played Reach at left wing, left wingback and role in behind the striker. 

Edit: Not at the same time!

Preston

LW 16 (3 goals)

LB 13

SS 7 ( 1 goal)

Boro

LW 60 (5 goals)

RW 3

LB 1

And when you take into account that Harris had always played on the right, I do find it odd that there isn’t a clamour to have a few games with a front three, left to right, of Reach Fletcher Harris.

I would love to see this given five or six games to settle in, with the wingers swapping sides mid-match. 

53 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Preston

LW 16 (3 goals)

LB 13

SS 7 ( 1 goal)

Boro

LW 60 (5 goals)

RW 3

LB 1

And when you take into account that Harris had always played on the right, I do find it odd that there isn’t a clamour to have a few games with a front three, left to right, of Reach Fletcher Harris.

I would love to see this given five or six games to settle in, with the wingers swapping sides mid-match. 

I suppose the argument is (in a front 3) that you want your wingers / inside forwards cutting in on their stronger foot.

Edited by Walt

18 minutes ago, Walt said:

I suppose the argument is (in a front 3) that you want your wingers / inside forwards cutting in on their stronger foot.

Im sure it is. But that negates the benefit of Fletcher. We saw what he can do to an out swinging cross at Preston.

37 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Im sure it is. But that negates the benefit of Fletcher. We saw what he can do to an out swinging cross at Preston.

Yes that’s true but then again we saw against Barnsley how the front three all worked brilliantly together, when the two ‘wingers’ got close enough to Fletcher to make a difference and not leave him isolated. 

On 09/09/2019 at 10:41, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

With Murphy and Harris on the wings ,Why not try these two up front ,Could be like Curran and McCulloch. Fletcher is fearless and works his socks off ,Just like Andy was .And Curran had a bit of flair and could score a goal ,Just like Reach. We have two wingers so why not play Reach up front.

Hi Garry 

:Chansiri: