Best start (5 games) since promotion in 2012

tbf, 9 points out of 15 isn't a bad haul. 

Think people are concerned that we haven't "played anyone good yet"...but then those same people would be going schizo if we had only say won 1 game. 

Guest Theboylangers

We could have won 2, drawn 2 and lost only 1 and we'd have 1 less point than we do now but on paper it doesn't look as bad as the 2 defeats. 

We're better off winning lots and losing lots than drawing any. 

The fact that this is our best start since 2012 in terms of points won after five games and yet there's a general air of ambivalence among the fanbase is surely quite telling?

We've not looked convincing since the Barnsley game and the managerial situation is leading to uncertainty.

Decisive action is needed by Chansiri to build some real positivity now.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SiJ said:

tbf, 9 points out of 15 isn't a bad haul. 

Think people are concerned that we haven't "played anyone good yet"...but then those same people would be going schizo if we had only say won 1 game. 

I think we'll actually play well against teams who command the ball with our pace. 

Where we struggle is when the onus is on us, either when we're expected to win or go behind. 

We're yet to lose points from a winning position and we're also yet to win points from a losing position. 

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The fact that this is our best start since 2012 in terms of points won after five games and yet there's a general air of ambivalence among the fanbase is surely quite telling?

We've not looked convincing since the Barnsley game and the managerial situation is leading to uncertainty.

Decisive action is needed by Chansiri to build some real positivity now.

Why is it quite telling?

Were you happier under Carlos when we had 5 points at this point for both seasons?

Would this have been acceptable under Bruce?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Why is it quite telling?

Were you happier under Carlos when we had 5 points at this point for both seasons?

Because the football we've played in the majority of the games so far has left much to be desired, and it seems the fanbase are responding to that. 

I honestly can't remember how I felt exactly five games into the season three and four years ago respectively. I didn't say I was unhappy now - I'm just trying to answer your question.

You're focussing on the points haul and I'm suggesting that the answer you're looking for might lie somewhere other than that.

35 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Because the football we've played in the majority of the games so far has left much to be desired, and it seems the fanbase are responding to that. 

I honestly can't remember how I felt exactly five games into the season three and four years ago respectively. I didn't say I was unhappy now - I'm just trying to answer your question.

You're focussing on the points haul and I'm suggesting that the answer you're looking for might lie somewhere other than that.

The same folk moaning about the current performances whilst ignoring the points total would be the same folk moaning if we were playing well but not picking up points.

They enjoy moaning.

It may be the best start for a long time and but I’m under no illusion with Bullen  being manager.

let’s start  from the first game Reading was a good performance a good win teams will soon pick up how we are playing if they do not change the system that’s down to the manager we went on and won Barnsley a team that will be Avoiding relegation at best .

Then we lost to Millwall they will be lucky if they’are in the top 10 .

then we won Luton Another team I that I think will be avoiding Relegation but Possibility they may finish mid-table at best .

leaves us to today’s game absolutely shocking until the last 10 minutes I think we had two shots on target all game .

They’re getting used to Bullens one and only tactic with no Plan B.

Don’t get me wrong I love the guy but I don’t want him  becoming manager

Please forgive me for any spelling I’ve had one or two pops tonight

Just that gutted with that performance

21 minutes ago, Owlsend said:

leaves us to today’s game absolutely shocking until the last 10 minutes I think we had two shots on target all game .

Without the crazy penalties, we had more shots on target than them. We also had more attempts than them. Yep we were poor today but were hardly well beaten by a decent preston side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owls2k said:

No.

Yes.

But most posters don’t seem to want to give Bullen a chance. Reading, Barnsley and Luton have had some terrific results, but apparently they are crap and easy meat.

I suppose DC will assess at the international break after QPR. If we have 12 points from a possible 18 I for one would be very disappointed to see Bullen go.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Without the crazy penalties, we had more shots on target than them. We also had more attempts than them. Yep we were poor today but were hardly well beaten by a decent preston side.

Good point.

Shots - Preston 6 v 11 Owls

Ridiculous tackles in the box - Preston 0 v 2 Owls

Look no further. 

4 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

The same folk moaning about the current performances whilst ignoring the points total would be the same folk moaning if we were playing well but not picking up points.

They enjoy moaning.

That's too simplistic.

I'm certainly not someone who's accused of 'moaning' of here too often - I think 'clapper' is the term that's more usually bandied around by those who disagree with me. Yet I'm not currently feeling overly optimistic about our prospects for the season given the situation which has been allowed to develop.

The OP has asked a fair question and I've tried to give him an honest answer. Of course the points haul is important, but after five games it's only one factor in the bigger picture. We don't have a permanent manager or a proper coaching team - we needed this in place about a month ago; some fans seem unconvinced by Bullen's tactical nouse in games where we've fallen behind or had to break down a stubborn defence; and ultimately, they don't see the way the team's currently playing football as having the potential to take us where they believe we could go over the course of this season. 

All of of which is playing out against a backdrop of uncertainty due to Chansiri's decision to wait more than 40 days to appoint a permanent manager and coaching team.

As I said, there's a bigger picture here which might help to explain the generally lukewarm reaction to what is on paper our best league start since we climbed back out of League One. After all, if there wasn't such a reaction among much of the fanbase, then the OP wouldn't be posing his question in the first place, would he?

The positive is that in both games we’ve lost, it’s been from errors. We haven’t really been under the cosh. 

The negative is that whilst there are no easy games, other teams will test us more and punish us too. That test is yet to come, so it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. Should’ve had 2 more points at this stage at least.

If I were to project how we think we will do based on this start. My gut feel would be top 10 but perhaps not quite enough to be top six unless we do something in jan. Hope I’m wrong. 

Even in 2015 we were outsiders and there were lots of things to improve on. But our midfield is still very similar to that team, but older.

Edited by Bluesteel

7 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

We still got beat and would we have gone hung ho at 0-0 or just carried  on cancelling one another out , it was tbf a borefest until we were 2 down