Millwall’s goal

52 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's an interesting point about having players on the line. 

We seem to see it a lot in modern football where the posts are left exposed don't we. Back in the day there seemed to be a man on both posts whenever any team defended a corner. Though maybe it's just my memory.

Mind, still have visions of Worthington on the post that day when Bruce's header went in. Proper day dreaming!

Think with zonal marking all areas are marked out including role of goalkeeper and blocking off of goalkeeper and this seemed to stop use of men on line. If you have goalkeeper who is going to come for ball it seems sensible to cover both posts or one post at least if goalie only going to go for ball if in one area. Kieran Lee is good on line seen him clear ball two or three times far better employed there than challenging somebody in aerial duel which he is not cut out for. Think Bullen may have been influenced by foreign coaches on way we defend set pieces.

Your point saying we did well in first two games is correct we were set up correctly for them no doubt. Millwall had obviously watched us and had a plan to stop us and it worked. Just saying it as it was we were not good and our tactics in second half played into their strengths. Our planning for game was poor. 

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Iorfa has got to anticipate that challenge and compete. That's what he's there for. He needed to pay as much attention to the man as he did the ball. 

This. I like Iorfa, but he's got to be a bit cuter in that situation.

You first priority shouldn't be to try and get on the end of the ball so you can head it away, as weird as that might seem. Number one is to get yourself between the attacker and the position in which they want to head the ball. You block them from getting that run.

I remember watching Chelsea Everton a few years back. Stephen Naismith, who was past 30 and certainly not the quickest at that point, was being marked by Cahill. Everton knock a long diagonal over both their heads.. Naismith knows he's going to lose a foot race against Cahill every single time, so instead of immediately heading towards the ball to try and get one it, instead he steps the opposite direction, towards Cahill, Cahill turns to follow the ball and finds Naismith right in his way, so halts of a moment. That's when Naismith makes the run and gets a couple of yards on Cahill as a result and gets to the ball first as a result. It was a lovely intelligent piece of play, and he somewhat embarrassed Cahill by doing it more than once.

And for me that's what Iorfa needed to do. Not try and clear the ball, but just make sure the player didn't get to it ahead of him. Watching the replay, Iorfa gets in position to clear it, then tried to make space and push his man back, but Smith give him a push back and is then in the position to head it. If Iorfa defends the area before the point at which they'd want to make the header then after the pushes, Smith still wont be in a position to head it and the ball will go out on the far side.

Like I said, I like Iorfa, he's got good attributes and contributes at both ends, but he needs to be cuter there. He's only just turned 24, so he's still learning, and if he can get this sort of thing down then he'll be really good for us for years to come.=

• Like 1

image.png.6eddd5e929c7637f1499e4e6d8de66ab.png

"I thought we controlled the game even with 11. We moved the ball from side to side and they were just sat inside the box but we couldn't find a breakthrough.

If you give a goal away, you have a mountain to climb here (Millwall) because that's what they love. They love having something to hang on to. To be fair to them, they defended their box for their lives.

We knew it would be a set play if they were going to cause us problems and it ended up being that. I thought we defended the majority of them well but we got caught on one and it gave them something to hold on to.

When they are camped in their 18-yard box, it is not easy to break down. On another day, one drops to us or we take one of our chances. We went right to the last minute trying to nick something and nobody can fault us for not giving it our all to try and get that equaliser.”

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Like 2

Who'd be manager?.....goalie makes a clanger and the manager cops some for crap tactics........Westwood catches the ball and reach shoots a foot lower and we win the game with buĺlen being praised for bringing home the points.....tough job

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Who'd be manager?.....goalie makes a clanger and the manager cops some for crap tactics........Westwood catches the ball and reach shoots a foot lower and we win the game with buĺlen being praised for bringing home the points.....tough job

Perfect summary 

10 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Who'd be manager?...goalie makes a clanger and the manager cops some for crap tactics....Westwood catches the ball and reach shoots a foot lower and we win the game with  buĺlen the players being praised for bringing home the points....tough job

Forget which gaffer said it after getting the boot..... "Players win games, managers lose them"

Wasn’t Westwood’s finest moment at all! I’m sure no one even needs to tell him that! He’s had a bad start to the season so far! Reckless at Reading and then Millwall. But there’ll be more games he wins us points than loses, that I am sure. 

Westwood has done this type of thing before, it's a flaw in his game coming when he should stay

It's probably over eagerness, but he needs to calm down a bit

Two silly errors in his only two games this season is two too many

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I think Westwood should take most of the flak for conceding that goal. If you look at Iorfa and Lees (I think) they were with Smith until they saw Westwood coming and so they kept out of the way so he could get the flap/punch away. I suspect there were no defenders on the posts because we'd looked at what they did from set pieces and I suspect Smith wouldnt have got a header if Iorfa and Lees had been left to deal with him.

I'm not complaining because as we all know, on balance, KW will save us more points than he will lose us. So hes allowed one mess up now and again.

And before you say it, he made one against Reading. That one was down to Odubajo in my book although KW could possibly stayed on hie line and waited to see what happened.

However, he need to start payback.

6 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

Wasn’t Westwood’s finest moment at all! I’m sure no one even needs to tell him that! He’s had a bad start to the season so far! Reckless at Reading and then Millwall. But there’ll be more games he wins us points than loses, that I am sure. 

Could this be his last season as a top keeper ? 

• Haha 1

Westwood had a shaky moment last night too, almost getting caught dithering on the ball when he should have just cleared his lines.

I like his confidence and I'm sure that helps the defense, but he does seem to have a bit of a hero complex, wanting to be some kind of superhuman who handles everything, and that leads to mistakes and fairly regular pens against us.

Still the best keeper we've got, just saying, it's part of his game. He might not be as good as he is if he didn't have that complex tho, so it's a bit of a catch 22. Just got to trust that over the season he'll save a lot more points than he'll concede.

And if Westwood is the weakest bit of our defense (even fox making a great saving tackle last night) then things are pretty good!