Millwall’s goal

Just watched the highlights and was surprised that we didn’t have a defender on the front or back post for the corner when Millwall scored. From Westwood’s perspective it makes even riskier to go flapping at the cross with nobody protecting the goal line. I’m maybe a bit old fashioned, but always prefer to have a defender on each post for corners.

40 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Can’t watch highlights when we lose and I don’t want to look at the table till we win next . With such a threat from set pieces you would expect extra defensive protection but not the flap from Westwood   By all accounts .

That's just made me laugh. I'm exactly the same. Only watch highlights when we win and don't look at table when we've lost. Then I can try and put it out of my mind. 

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

Watch again. We did have a defender tracking him - Iorfa. Unfortunately, he decided not to challenge Smith for the ball and was simply pushed aside too easily. No surprise he was pulled at half-time. Crap goal to concede. Westwood & Iorfa both at fault there. 

1 hour ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Just watched the highlights and was surprised that we didn’t have a defender on the front or back post for the corner when Millwall scored. From Westwood’s perspective it makes even riskier to go flapping at the cross with nobody protecting the goal line. I’m maybe a bit old fashioned, but always prefer to have a defender on each post for corners.

Westwood has obviously lost the flight of the ball so has to carry the can. The defenders at the back post were also too lightweight so are not blameless. 

Was at the game, haven't watched any replays since, but it seemed that he went for it but when it was apparent it was out of his reach instead of leaving it he went for it anyway and it cost us at least a point (doubt Millwall would have sat back as they did in the second half had they been drawing instead of winning). So Westwood has to take the rap, but that said he'd made 2 excellent punches under pressure shortly before that so was perhaps over confident.

15 hours ago, bobbobbins said:

I'm not sure it would have stood in the VAR prem as Smith pushed Iorfa in the back with both hands.

It wasn't much of a push. I've seen them given but a lot more like it aren't. Iorfa was too easy to off balance, lightweight infact. If that's him challenging for a header he'd better resign himself to being a full back because I'd expect more from a CB.

Westwood has not had a cracking start to the season, sent off and now is caught chasing a cross that goes over his head. I love him and i'm sure he will come back to normal form, but a job for Weaver to get Westwood back on track.

15 hours ago, East Yorks Owl said:

couldn't agree more, for certain sides it appears to have gone from the game.

8 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Westwood has not had a cracking start to the season, sent off and now is caught chasing a cross that goes over his head. I love him and i'm sure he will come back to normal form, but a job for Weaver to get Westwood back on track.

Saturday's was another judgement call (and on matchday he's not least hot-headed keeper we ever had).

I assume millwall's aerial threat had been noted, and dawson's handling under a high ball taken into account, perhaps westwood was aware that he'd have to come for one or two with their aerial prowess, but IF that was the plan then the keeper needs cover on the line. TACTICS.

15 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Can’t watch highlights when we lose and I don’t want to look at the table till we win next . With such a threat from set pieces you would expect extra defensive protection but not the flap from Westwood   By all accounts .

I generally don't, after watching them though we were all over them and should have won that game comfortably. Just one of those days I guess.  

15 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Watch again. We did have a defender tracking him - Iorfa. Unfortunately, he decided not to challenge Smith for the ball and was simply pushed aside too easily. No surprise he was pulled at half-time. Crap goal to concede. Westwood & Iorfa both at fault there. 

Yeah this for me too. 

Westwood wasn’t blameless however LB made a big deal leading up to the game that we had changed our team (playing Iorfa) to deal with Millwalls threat from set pieces. That said player is then the one to blame for them scoring. He didn’t even challenge Smith for the ball, yeah i know Smith gave him a budge but Iorfa needs to be stronger there for me.

15 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Iorfa was clearly fouled. He was in front of Smith and received a shove with both hands which pushed him to one side. It was clearly a foul in whatever era but like many fouls in game was not given. I do not think Iorfa was tracking Smith we appeared to be defending with a mixture of zonal and man marking. It is difficult to say if Iorfa should have been stronger as an unexpected two handed push in back is not easy to counter. I suppose you could say he should have expected it. Westwood put his hand up and was at fault but earlier point about having players on goal line when goalkeeper coming for ball is a good one. 

Many of our decisions were difficult to understand and although coaches did well against Barnsley this was not a day they could say tactics worked. We played into their hands second half.

Guest wilyfox
59 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

Yeah this for me too. 

Westwood wasn’t blameless however LB made a big deal leading up to the game that we had changed our team (playing Iorfa) to deal with Millwalls threat from set pieces. That said player is then the one to blame for them scoring. He didn’t even challenge Smith for the ball, yeah i know Smith gave him a budge but Iorfa needs to be stronger there for me.

Yep.

45 minutes ago, Quist said:

Iorfa was clearly fouled. He was in front of Smith and received a shove with both hands which pushed him to one side. It was clearly a foul in whatever era but like many fouls in game was not given. I do not think Iorfa was tracking Smith we appeared to be defending with a mixture of zonal and man marking. It is difficult to say if Iorfa should have been stronger as an unexpected two handed push in back is not easy to counter. I suppose you could say he should have expected it. Westwood put his hand up and was at fault but earlier point about having players on goal line when goalkeeper coming for ball is a good one. 

Many of our decisions were difficult to understand and although coaches did well against Barnsley this was not a day they could say tactics worked. We played into their hands second half.

Disagree. He started to track Smith's run round the back, then got caught ball-watching at the crucial moment. Yes, Smith nudged him - but it's a contact sport. Iorfa has got to anticipate that challenge and compete. That's what he's there for. He needed to pay as much attention to the man as he did the ball. 

1 hour ago, Quist said:

It's an interesting point about having players on the line. 

We seem to see it a lot in modern football where the posts are left exposed don't we. Back in the day there seemed to be a man on both posts whenever any team defended a corner. Though maybe it's just my memory.

Mind, still have visions of Worthington on the post that day when Bruce's header went in. Proper day dreaming!

We conceded a goal be it a foul by Smith, Lees and Iorfa not marking the man properly, or a Westwood flap.

We created 21 chances with 9 on target and failed to score, either their keeper played a blinder, or shooting practice should be the order of the day not worrying about defending.