Premier League 2019/20

9 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Obviously not been for several years, but I have heard a few people saying the ground is in need of a major refurb. 

Sounds absurd saying this when we have Hillsborough, but OT is becoming increasingly dated compared to what is on offer at other top clubs. I've heard loads of stories about where the Glazers have looked to cut costs- right down to eliminating free meals for staff at the training ground. 

• Thanks 1

With Fergie in charge, they could get away with it.

Now they dont have him, their poor ownership and lack of foresight has been ruthlessly exposed.

The likes of City and Liverpool are way ahead in all respects right now.

Spurs, Chelsea might not be so great at the moment, but I see them turning it around quicker than United. 

Arsenal...well, I think the problems there are similar to those at United. 

You just look at the teams the two put out and you are underwhelmed. Some decent players, but disjointed, lacking in cohesion and some real mediocre players making up the numbers. 

Miles off what they want to be.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

With Fergie in charge, they could get away with it.

Now they dont have him, their poor ownership and lack of foresight has been ruthlessly exposed.

The likes of City and Liverpool are way ahead in all respects right now.

Spurs, Chelsea might not be so great at the moment, but I see them turning it around quicker than United. 

Arsenal...well, I think the problems there are similar to those at United. 

You just look at the teams the two put out and you are underwhelmed. Some decent players, but disjointed, lacking in cohesion and some real mediocre players making up the numbers. 

Miles off what they want to be.

Right managerial appointment and some astute signings is the difference. It wasn't long ago that Liverpool were in the same place with American owners at the helm, spending literally billions to go nowhere. Now they're geniuses. Tables turn quickly, Man Utd will be back eventually.

Definitely needs an identity at Utd.

Klopp and Guardiola have their gegenpress philosophy which requires specific players to make it work.

Apparently this is what Ole wants at Utd except he can only do the counter attacking part to an average standard right now, with the ball attacking they are useless. Liverpool midfield shows you haven't got to have world beaters but must be the right players.

7 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Because the Glazers have no one behind the scenes who know anything about football. Ed is a banker. His job is to keep costs down, raise money through absurd sponsorship deals and to keep the share price up for his Floridian pay masters. 

The whole set up is geared towards cashing in on United's heritage and global support, not being a successful football club.  

But surely they know that not being a successful football club will impact on their income? 

I heard on 5 Live yesterday that many of their current major sponsorship deals are success dependent and the income is reduced by significant percentages if they fail to get into the Champions League or Europa League.

Woodward is not the one picking the players to target or purchase, he's just the one making a mess of the deals, whose idea was it to let their focal point in attack leave and not replace him, leaving them with 2 good wide forwards but nobody to play off?  

22 hours ago, SiJ said:

Is Ricardo (the right back for Leicester) one of the most underrated players in the Prem right now? 

Every time I watch him, I think he's absolute class. 

Excellent player. 

There are four or five players on Leicester that are absolute class.  Even Iheanacho seems to have turned a corner and turned into a proper player

52 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But surely they know that not being a successful football club will impact on their income? 

I heard on 5 Live yesterday that many of their current major sponsorship deals are success dependent and the income is reduced by significant percentages if they fail to get into the Champions League or Europa League.

Woodward is not the one picking the players to target or purchase, he's just the one making a mess of the deals, whose idea was it to let their focal point in attack leave and not replace him, leaving them with 2 good wide forwards but nobody to play off?  

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/manchester-united/story/3501922/manchester-united-can-make-money-regardless-of-results-ed-woodward

They know they can make good money out of United even by standing still. 

5 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Sounds absurd saying this when we have Hillsborough, but OT is becoming increasingly dated compared to what is on offer at other top clubs. I've heard loads of stories about where the Glazers have looked to cut costs- right down to eliminating free meals for staff at the training ground. 

Hillsborough has old soul.  OT is just tatty.

3 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

No doubt they can make enough money to turn good profits regardless but they could be making more and will be losing money as a result of their performances.

The article you have linked was quoted in the discussion last night as being symptomatic of Woodward's approach. They are tied into a few performance related deals where they will lose income if they aren't playing in Europe.

Guest Bulgaria
3 hours ago, beswetherick said:

They’ve spent sumat like £800m on transfer fees since Fergie retired and they’re worse now than they were then! Quite amazing really

Aye, those owners are parasites!!!

Guest Bulgaria
10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It is the clubs money though, not their own fortune.

How many times. 

Don't they own the club?

If so, isn't the clubs money there's or am I missing something?