A Nightmare on Jihadi John Street

darra

Saw on Facebook somebody (a blade) saying that this is the first time they've actually been in the top six of the top division in February since 1962. That's 58 years.

That can't be right can it? If it is, for a supposed big club that's just... pathetic. 

8 hours ago, Sova said:

The expected goals table https://experimental361.com/2020/02/01/expected-goals-table-premier-league-1-2-feb-2020/ has them 13th. But it could get even worse. Looking at their upcoming games, they could be challenging for a Champions League spot come mid-March. And they could easily be in the Cup QFs then as well.

Expected goals tables are stupid because it acts like the quality of your chance conversion is meaningless when actually it is probably the most important trait of your forwards.

On 02/02/2020 at 01:59, Growl67 said:

As somebody who’s probably older than most on this forum and seen it all before,  I think that the time is right to reassure my fellow Owls that they should hang on in there. Our time will come, football IS cyclic and one day we will be top dogs again. Just don’t bank on it being anytime soon as long as that chuff Wilder is there.

And there you have the difference between us and the other lot. Rejoice and bide your time Owls. 

I am also an old fart who remembers the 60s and 70s well. The worst thing about the 70s was that we got relegated to the third tier, nearly going broke in the process, before they joined us so lets hope that doesn’t repeat itself! Meanwhile they are currently doing well in the richest league in the world, amassing sky money and with their free transfers being talked about as targets for Top 6 teams at multi-million figures while we are haemorrhaging money every year, owe Chansiri tens of millions and have a team full of bottlers. I DO SO hope you’re right my friend and I’m sure they will decline and fall but I’m not optimistic about us taking their place in the PL. 

Edited by Mobley

2 hours ago, Mobley said:

I am also an old fart who remembers the 60s and 70s well. The worst thing about the 70s was that we got relegated to the third tier, nearly going broke in the process, before they joined us so lets hope that doesn’t repeat itself! Meanwhile they are currently doing well in the richest league in the world, amassing sky money and with their free transfers being talked about as targets for Top 6 teams at multi-million figures while we are haemorrhaging money every year, owe Chansiri tens of millions and have a team full of bottlers. I DO SO hope you’re right my friend and I’m sure they will decline and fall but I’m not optimistic about us taking their place in the PL. 

I can’t argue with that. As I said, regarding United it depends on how long Wilder and his sidekick stick around. They got the right people in at the right time but with McCabe in charge back then I bet it was as much about their wages then McCabe finally getting it right. He rolled the dice and eventually he got two sixes. I’m sure that what has happened over there is 100% down to Wilder and the way he works, he’s running that club and it seems the new owner will back him and let him get on with it unlike McCabe.

There’s no point in kidding ourselves on or letting it get to us, what Wilder’s done for them is incredible and it remains to be seen how far he can take them if he continues to be backed. But let’s not forget just what a sorry state they were in before McCabe got lucky with Wilder, and if they can do it so can we. First of all we need that bloody clear out, a fresh start in the close season. Chansiri should now be reviewing everyone’s performance on and off the pitch including his own. Hopefully he can learn from his mistakes and start running this club as it should be run, and if that takes somebody in the mould of Wilder to do most of it for him so much the better.

10 hours ago, alanharper said:

Saw on Facebook somebody (a blade) saying that this is the first time they've actually been in the top six of the top division in February since 1962. That's 58 years.

That can't be right can it? If it is, for a supposed big club that's just... pathetic. 

I don't think that is as bad as 20 years outside the top division.

14 minutes ago, Growl67 said:

I can’t argue with that. As I said, regarding United it depends on how long Wilder and his sidekick stick around. They got the right people in at the right time but with McCabe in charge back then I bet it was as much about their wages then McCabe finally getting it right. He rolled the dice and eventually he got two sixes. I’m sure that what has happened over there is 100% down to Wilder and the way he works, he’s running that club and it seems the new owner will back him and let him get on with it unlike McCabe.

There’s no point in kidding ourselves on or letting it get to us, what Wilder’s done for them is incredible and it remains to be seen how far he can take them if he continues to be backed. But let’s not forget just what a sorry state they were in before McCabe got lucky with Wilder, and if they can do it so can we. First of all we need that bloody clear out, a fresh start in the close season. Chansiri should now be reviewing everyone’s performance on and off the pitch including his own. Hopefully he can learn from his mistakes and start running this club as it should be run, and if that takes somebody in the mould of Wilder to do most of it for him so much the better.

The problem for him and the club as I see it is that re his 40k a week digs about us he is now working in a league where a lot of the players in the league are earning two, three, four times as much a week and it's how long his players will be happy with that?

Yes I think that could be an issue as well although as long as there’s the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley and the newly promoted clubs around there’s always going to be some clubs up there not paying massive wages. The Prince will be key to them going forward and whether or not he brings serious investors onboard as he promised. Fingers crossed he’ll want it all to himself.

25 minutes ago, smhouston said:

Their luck literally has no bounds. Was reading commentary up to that point too and it said they'd not even had an attempt

The two games they played before Saturday it was around 60 minutes before they had a shot. Was mentioned in commentary in one of the games.

On 02/02/2020 at 23:24, alanharper said:

They finished 6th in 74-75.....

8 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

How much of an idiot is Kevin McCabe? 

Screwed himself out of an absolute fortune. 

We can but hope that the Prince is as useless in the long term. 

15 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The last sentence from the quote sums it up perefectly.

“When he put us in a corner, should I sell him my shares for cheap? No, I will not do that. He forced us to do what we did. And if anybody has to feel sorry, he should feel sorry.”

McCabe with the worst business decision of his career.

1 minute ago, Matt_1 said:

The last sentence from the quote sums it up perefectly.

“When he put us in a corner, should I sell him my shares for cheap? No, I will not do that. He forced us to do what we did. And if anybody has to feel sorry, he should feel sorry.”

McCabe with the worst business decision of his career.

His own arrogance cost him. 

What a fool. 

Unfortunately, as long as they are in the Prem, I think the Prince's ownership (or lack thereof) will probably not be too much of an issue. 

He hasn't got all that much money, but the tv deal, sponsorship etc., will likely be more than enough. 

If they did go down though, parachute payments or not, I think some issues may arise. 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

If Mcabe was still there he’d be selling players to fund more redevelopment of Bramall Lane not buying international midfielders for £22million. 

The prince has had Mcabe’s pants down, he’s far from useless, you need to look closer to home to see useless club owners.