Borner if Hector comes in

47 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Dont know what that part means but I agree with the rest , Hector only really came into his own after Jos had gone 

EVERYONE only came into their own after Jos had gone.

Even though we. somehow, sneaked into the top six at one point last season I can't remember one game in which

we played really well or looked capable of pushing on and cementing even a top half finish. In act after attaining the heady heights of sixth place we looked more like relegation contenders until, thank f*ck, DC finally saw the light and got rid of the waster.:Chansiri:

Edited by oldtawnyowl

Have been reading the latest piece on The Athletic about Borner (worth checking out. Dedicated Wednesday reporter and proper features, no ads, £2.50 a month with promo code).  Says he used to play left back. Might offer some versatility.

https://theathletic.com/1103220/2019/08/05/a-tough-tackler-and-a-world-cup-winning-wife-julian-borner-determined-to-be-a-hit-at-wednesday/

All this talk of Hector and new signings. 

I'll admit I've sadly come to the conclusion VanAkren isn't up to the job. 

For me though I think Jordan Thornilly has proven an able depty when called upon and will improve with age, so having him as cover for borner and iorfa as cover for Lees means until we get into a better financial position again we don't need another cb this season. 

4 hours ago, Quist said:

Borner was better on Saturday much more comfortable on ball. The lad made good impression. 

Lees is number one choice in our back four or five, he’s shown us enough to warrant this

6 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

This ^ 

Plus, those saying, Hector should no longer be a priority have they thought about what happens if we lose either of Lees or Borner to injury? And Borner might have impressed so far but so did the likes of JVA when he first joined, the Borner signing still could go either way, even though he seems an astute signing. Our defensive options would look strong for this level if we get Hector back.

Your forgetting Thorniley. Definitley up to it last year and a more experience under his belt now.

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

All this talk of Hector and new signings. 

I'll admit I've sadly come to the conclusion VanAkren isn't up to the job. 

For me though I think Jordan Thornilly has proven an able depty when called upon and will improve with age, so having him as cover for borner and iorfa as cover for Lees means until we get into a better financial position again we don't need another cb this season. 

I agree CB is not our major problem area . Left back a natural goal scorer and a box to box midfielder are greater needs.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

I agree CB is not our major problem area . Left back a natural goal scorer and a box to box midfielder are greater needs.

I Can't agree more bud. 

Improving us at left back is needed. Whilst palmer is capeble, he's not a natural left back, so having a decent real one that can get down the line and put a ball in good areas on his preferred foot would make us more fluid and give a  better balance. 

I think we were looking at mcEacheren as cover for Lee & bannan, but decided he didn't fit the bill. 

This season for me one of our biggest priorities should be getting the likes of Jack Lee, kirby, hunt etc out on loan and playing first team football. 

Even if it' means letting them go on loan on the cheap down the road to such as Doncaster or chessie. 

We need to start giving these lads the opportunity to improve into possible first team players. 

Look at how wildsmith seems to have gone backwards since being really highly rated, I'm sure our policy of not getting these lads out on loan is hindering our chance of improving them as players. 

11 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I Can't agree more bud. 

Improving us at left back is needed. Whilst palmer is capeble, he's not a natural left back, so having a decent real one that can get down the line and put a ball in good areas on his preferred foot would make us more fluid and give a  better balance. 

I think we were looking at mcEacheren as cover for Lee & bannan, but decided he didn't fit the bill. 

This season for me one of our biggest priorities should be getting the likes of Jack Lee, kirby, hunt etc out on loan and playing first team football. 

Even if it' means letting them go on loan on the cheap down the road to such as Doncaster or chessie. 

We need to start giving these lads the opportunity to improve into possible first team players. 

Look at how wildsmith seems to have gone backwards since being really highly rated, I'm sure our policy of not getting these lads out on loan is hindering our chance of improving them as players. 

We should get all the kids (over 20 years old ) out playing league football. Makes or breaks them when playing against seasoned pros. If they are to make it here they need to be upto league 1 and 2 levels at 20. 

8 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

This ^ 

Plus, those saying, Hector should no longer be a priority have they thought about what happens if we lose either of Lees or Borner to injury? And Borner might have impressed so far but so did the likes of JVA when he first joined, the Borner signing still could go either way, even though he seems an astute signing. Our defensive options would look strong for this level if we get Hector back.

Totally. 

We should never stop trying to improve things - even when it’s good.