Which Sheffield Wednesday do you prefer?

Which Sheffield Wednesday do you prefer?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Which style of football do you believe would be most effective at securing promotion from the Championship this season?

• Direct Attacking Football
    • Possession Based Football

4 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Can't we use both dependent on the opponent and if one isn't working?

Why do we have to stick with one?

different opposition = different approaches, and tactics. BUT I don't see an alternative to striking an opponent as often and quickly as possible whoever they are.

I fail to see why a slow build up against someone allowing them to fall back in numbers benefits us in any way whatsoever.

4 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Trying to avoid playing the ball sideways for the majority of the game. 

Putting teams under pressure when they are in possession of the ball.

Trying to move the ball forward quickly and play to the strengths of an aggressive centre forward. 

Others may have different opinions on this, and in all fairness I am aware there are many different brands of each option. Obviously, I'm an advocate of this approach at Championship level. 

Hoof ball is not on the table.

but surely westwood or any defenders seeing an upfield option in our favour would be allowed to play that ball, or is it set in stone to roll it out to the full backs again?

31 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

different opposition = different approaches, and tactics. BUT I don't see an alternative to striking an opponent as often and quickly as possible whoever they are.

I fail to see why a slow build up against someone allowing them to fall back in numbers benefits us in any way whatsoever.

But what about teams that put 10 men behind the ball that need drawing out. Teams that come to Hillsborough and are happy to sit deep, defend and take a point.

You need to draw these teams out with build up and possession 

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

but surely westwood or any defenders seeing an upfield option in our favour would be allowed to play that ball, or is it set in stone to roll it out to the full backs again?

There's a difference between playing the odd long ball, and every ball being a long ball

But then you knew that

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

We have all been saying for years that we need to invert the pyramid. This is the only way forward.

We need a manager that understands this and can deliver it. That is the only way we can go up with this squad.

3 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

But what about teams that put 10 men behind the ball that need drawing out. Teams that come to Hillsborough and are happy to sit deep, defend and take a point.

You need to draw these teams out with build up and possession 

you don't 'draw sides out' who've come for a point by effing about inside your own half and on half way, they'll counter attack you anyway, that's what they came to do, and that's what they'll do.

the only chance of grabbing a goal playing inside your own half and on half way, is if you can sneak past them whilst their laughing their *nackers off.

get wide men on, get one or two target men on, if they're conceding ground as much as you say get crosses in all day long, and shoot on site whenever the ball breaks.

22 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

you don't 'draw sides out' who've come for a point by effing about inside your own half and on half way, they'll counter attack you anyway, that's what they came to do, and that's what they'll do.

the only chance of grabbing a goal playing inside your own half and on half way, is if you can sneak past them whilst their laughing their *nackers off.

get wide men on, get one or two target men on, if they're conceding ground as much as you say get crosses in all day long, and shoot on site whenever the ball breaks.

You've come to that conclusion on your own, I said nothing about playing in our own half or on the half way line

Getting wide men and target men on for a team playing deep is asking for a 0-0 stalemate as the teams that play deep tend to have brutes as centre halves and crosses into the box are bread and butter for them