Which Sheffield Wednesday do you prefer?

Which Sheffield Wednesday do you prefer?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Which style of football do you believe would be most effective at securing promotion from the Championship this season?

• Direct Attacking Football
    • Possession Based Football

Over the years some of us have seen many different different Sheffield Wednesday line ups, with different styles of play, and some teams with no style of play....

Forget the names in the Manager polls, and choose the style of play you think would be most effective at securing promotion, with the current squad, in a Championship where possession based football seems to be standard. 

Gonna be a tw@ lol   The thread title doesn't match the poll question.

What style do I prefer, well that's a good ol' tick next to Option B, love me some possession footie.

What style do I think would be most effective this season at getting us promoted, well with the players we have and the disrupted pre-season, it's no question... Option A, nice and direct and organised without being flamboyant. 

So yeah, I have different answers to the two different questions... do I win a prize?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, daztheowl said:

What is direct attacking football ? 

Trying to avoid playing the ball sideways for the majority of the game. 

Putting teams under pressure when they are in possession of the ball.

Trying to move the ball forward quickly and play to the strengths of an aggressive centre forward. 

Others may have different opinions on this, and in all fairness I am aware there are many different brands of each option. Obviously, I'm an advocate of this approach at Championship level. 

Hoof ball is not on the table.

24 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Can't we have a bit of both?

:duntmatter:

And old saying in football is you have to "earn the right to play" football. 

Once you have the lead, then you need to be able to switch styles and have your opponents chase the ball around the field. 

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Gonna be a tw@ lol   The thread title doesn't match the poll question.

What style do I prefer, well that's a good ol' tick next to Option B, love me some possession footie.

What style do I think would be most effective this season at getting us promoted, well with the players we have and the disrupted pre-season, it's no question... Option A, nice and direct and organised without being flamboyant. 

So yeah, I have different answers to the two different questions... do I win a prize?

No....., but I agree. If we had the best players in the league, with intelligence and technical ability in all positions, then possession based football would be everyone's preferred style of play. 

21 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Can't we use both dependent on the opponent and if one isn't working?

Why do we have to stick with one?

Consider the question is what is the default style of play, which you would start each game with?

I agree style of play should change later in the game, depending on the current position. 

At four nil up, we can pass it around like Brazil.

lol

If direct attacking football means our centre halves are going to be hoofing it up to a striker at every opportunity, then you can keep it

I prefer structured attacking football

And you can stick your POMO up your arse

• Haha 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I haven't voted in your poll as it's a loaded question...your little picture of Megson rather gives the game away. We don't have the players to become a silky passing team...too many errors per game would cost us. However, no one but a Megson sychophant would want to go back to the horrible style of play he foisted on us. So, the answer is simple. We need to play to our strengths and I believe that is a high press and counter attack, something similar to what Leicester played in their PL winning season. They didn't have the best players either but they defended for their lives and had a system that suited the players they had. They also had  a strong work ethic coupled with a great team spirit. We need a manager that can get that from our squad.