Which Sheffield Wednesday do you prefer?

Which Sheffield Wednesday do you prefer?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Which style of football do you believe would be most effective at securing promotion from the Championship this season?

• Direct Attacking Football
    • Possession Based Football

8 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Gonna be a tw@ lol   The thread title doesn't match the poll question.

What style do I prefer, well that's a good ol' tick next to Option B, love me some possession footie.

What style do I think would be most effective this season at getting us promoted, well with the players we have and the disrupted pre-season, it's no question... Option A, nice and direct and organised without being flamboyant. 

So yeah, I have different answers to the two different questions... do I win a prize?

Yes, you have won a used black pudding from one of @Owlerton Ghost's soirees, lol . FFS

When Howard Wilkinson took us up ,We played a type of football the purist did not like ,Long ball they called it ,I loved especially at Liverpool ,We won games our squad was the fittest in the division ,We could take any one on and give them a game ,Passy passy  football or direct ? As long as we win games I am not bothered in the slightest.

9 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

technical ability in all positions, then possession based football would be everyone's preferred style of play.  

Eh, not mine...if ya good enough to play sideways without getting caught out then ya good enough to scare the foook out of the oppos in their half.

70's italian football is for dinosaurs.:biggrin:

As someone said, the question seems to be loaded.  Direct football by no means requires every other pass to be 'hoofed' up to a pair of giant centre forwards...in its most entertaining form it involves passes in all directions with the killer pass generally being a fast penetrating through ball that splits the defence in two, allowing the forward facing centre forward to outpace the defenders simply because it initially leaves them facing the wrong direction.  As someone else said this is what Leicester do/did with Jamie vardy.. it is also the way that the successful dalglish liverpool side used to play though this was instigated differently, with the likes of Barnes stretching teams, leaving more space down the middle for the inevitable through ball to be played.  The one thing that both these styles have in common is hat the ball is moved quickly to create the gaps..

The alternative/slow build up style, ironically; often ends the same way (with a penetrating through ball) but it depends upon opponents moving up the field to press the defenders with the ball, thus leaving gaps behind the opponents (either in midfield or defence).. This didn't work for us in Carlos seasons 2 & 3 because opponents refused to press our defenders.  The result was lots of possession (amongst our defenders) but very few chances.  Personally I found the games utterly boring as well.

41 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

As someone said, the question seems to be loaded.  Direct football by no means requires every other pass to be 'hoofed' up to a pair of giant centre forwards...in its most entertaining form it involves passes in all directions with the killer pass generally being a fast penetrating through ball that splits the defence in two, allowing the forward facing centre forward to outpace the defenders simply because it initially leaves them facing the wrong direction.  As someone else said this is what Leicester do/did with Jamie vardy.. it is also the way that the successful dalglish liverpool side used to play though this was instigated differently, with the likes of Barnes stretching teams, leaving more space down the middle for the inevitable through ball to be played.  The one thing that both these styles have in common is hat the ball is moved quickly to create the gaps..

The alternative/slow build up style, ironically; often ends the same way (with a penetrating through ball) but it depends upon opponents moving up the field to press the defenders with the ball, thus leaving gaps behind the opponents (either in midfield or defence).. This didn't work for us in Carlos seasons 2 & 3 because opponents refused to press our defenders.  The result was lots of possession (amongst our defenders) but very few chances.  Personally I found the games utterly boring as well.

I'm not at all saying the likes of Bannan can't run with the ball through midfield and pick a pass, but we don't want to see him passing the ball sideways between the centre halves for five minutes, and then launching a forty yard telegraphed pass ever again. 

Forward, sideways and backwards and forwards, but not sideways, backwards, sideways and sideways and sideways and sideways and sideways and sideways... and hoof. 

16 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

You've come to that conclusion on your own, I said nothing about playing in our own half or on the half way line

Getting wide men and target men on for a team playing deep is asking for a 0-0 stalemate as the teams that play deep tend to have brutes as centre halves and crosses into the box are bread and butter for them

so go on then, where are you going to draw them out to? if they're not going to be drawn into our half, or to half way

where's this 'drawing' taking place?

it's not asking for 0-0 at all, what a silly remark, the forwards are to be mobile enough to pull the BRUTES about their box and cause spaces in the defence. 

look at when goran-eriksson took england to Belfast, they threw up a solid defence and 'modern football' huffed and puffed at breaking it down all day long, we hadn't a proper traditional english centre forward on the field (as that is dinosaur football) meanwhile 'modern football' kept trying the same 'failing' method. the same one we used at wembley v 'ull when coco had no plan B answer either.

17 hours ago, Sham67 said:

GERRIT FORRAD...

ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK...

or ****about, ****about, ****about, ****about, ****about...

i'll give ****about it's due, when westwood get's it, you've time to go for a p*ss before it get's up to the forwards.

16 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

When Howard Wilkinson took us up ,We played a type of football the purist did not like ,Long ball they called it ,I loved especially at Liverpool ,We won games our squad was the fittest in the division ,We could take any one on and give them a game ,Passy passy  football or direct ? As long as we win games I am not bothered in the slightest.

I remember the 'know-alls' and 'purists' telling us we'd get 'bogged down when the winter came'.

guess who got 'bogged down' a dozen and a half ground based passes, or keeper to midfielder on half way, who lays it off to overlapping fullback who drives forward another 20 yard and crosses for chapman to head into the net?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

This.

I remember us having the nerve to get a result away at Spurs and the match report on the radio afterwards was all about Wednesday’s Stormtroopers (not one player under 6 foot apparently) stopping Spurs playing their silky attacking football. One of the most annoying things you hear regularly from pundits and media has got to be ‘they play football the right way’.