4 Forwards

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not sure I agree. For me in a 4-3-3 you play with wingers more higher up the pitch. Reach and Harris are our only options. We could do with at least 1 new wide player to provide competition for them. I remember Carlos saying Forestieri doesn’t like playing wide left and we saw under Jos he ignored a lot of tracking back duties in that role. Joao could be an option but that’s not his natural position and he’s wasted out there in my opinion.

Then you’ve got Winnall, Rhodes, Fletch and Nuhiu who I could only ever imagine playing centrally. Far too many strikers, at least two need to go. 

I think your squad allocations are threadbare to say the least. Your chosen formation requires 2 wide players and you state that you'd like 3 of them in the squad !? One injury (something we're hardly strangers to) and you'd have nothing at all in reserve without borrowing from other units. That wouldn't be good enough for a mid-table Conference team, never mind one aspiring to be in the Premier League.

Anyone care to look up the last season where we had only 4 forwards make anything other than the occasional token appearance? I bet it's quite a way back.

Guest wilyfox

I'd want 5. Start 2, bench 2, 1 cover for inevitable injury down the line. If it were my choice, I'd sacrifice 2 of our current 6 (probably Rhodes & Winnall), sign one striker and a winger. Depends how much wriggle room there is to recruit. Central midfield needs beefing up. When Hutch breaks down - history tells us he will - we're back to Joey. We're lightweight in the middle third, for sure. 

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I think your squad allocations are threadbare to say the least. Your chosen formation requires 2 wide players and you state that you'd like 3 of them in the squad !? One injury (something we're hardly strangers to) and you'd have nothing at all in reserve without borrowing from other units. That wouldn't be good enough for a mid-table Conference team, never mind one aspiring to be in the Premier League.

Anyone care to look up the last season where we had only 4 forwards make anything other than the occasional token appearance? I bet it's quite a way back.

Forestieri could do a job out wide if it’s absolutely required. We also have Penney and Odubajo who can be deployed as wingers, although not their natural position. 

So there are options if we have an injury crisis. 

I’d like to see us go 4-3-3. In order to do that we still need a left back, a ball winning centre mid and a new wide man. And yes I believe we have too many strikers for that formation. It would be ok if two of those strikers were young players who could stake a claim on the bench when needed whilst playing in the U’23s. But we’re talking about 6 strikers who all will be thinking they deserve a place in the match day squad. We need to address this unbalance. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

It's obvious that all of our managers have struggled find a system and a role to suit him but I think we're all forgetting quite how good Forestieri can be. A fully fit FF going into a championship season on form can be the difference between mid table and top 6. If I'm trying to think of a starting 11 I struggle to put him in it but he's better than 99% of the players we'll face this season. Don't envy any manager trying to decide on his future with us, would love to see him on fire this season.

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Forestieri could do a job out wide if it’s absolutely required. We also have Penney and Odubajo who can be deployed as wingers, although not their natural position. 

So there are options if we have an injury crisis. 

So a team looking at promotion to the highest level gets one injury and has to start borrowing players from other positions, thus leaving those areas with nothing in reserve either !? Frighteningly hopeful resourcing. 

I've played on five-a-side teams with more depth than that. 

For me Joao has promised so much but delivered so little he is a good age and need to either push on and become a 15+ goal a season man or find a new club.

Nuihu is a nice bloke but simple no good enough for this level of football, I wanted him over the summer to get some of the weight off and make him more lean and athletic to give him a better change of creating and scoring more, this does not seem to have happened.

Rhodes and Winnall are the same sort of play one cost £500k and is on £20k a week the other cost £8-10m and is on £40k a week. For me Rhodes needs getting rid of to save the £2m a season on his wages

That leaves us a strike force of fessi, Fletcher, Winnall + a new pacy striker in on loan.

Fessi and Fletcher are both in the final year of their contracts so this needs sorting in the next few months either sign them up to longer deals or ship them on.

A lot for the club to do and only 15 days until the first game of the season and 20 days until the transfer window shuts.

36 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Didn’t Norwich go up convincingly with just Pukki and Rhodes as out and out forwards last season?

If Tony Strudwick does have a positive influence on the amount of injuries we pick up, 4 should be more than enough. 

With our injury record 2 injured = problem

1 hour ago, BIG D said:

So we keep hearing that we have to make the squad more balanced and get shut of a couple of strikers.

Which 4 would you look to keep?

For me:

Forestieri

Joao

Fletcher

Rhodes

So that would mean Nuhiu and Winnall leaving.

I think the club would like Rhodes to be one of forwards to go so we could get rid of his wages and hopefully recoup some of his fee but I do wonder if he will thrive on better supply from out wide?

What if we bring in Keegan as the manager - he likes to play at least 5 up front :duntmatter:

Just now, DJMortimer said:

...and the seasons before that?

He was injured for half that season.. it happens..

But the year before he again played over 40 games.

So in 2 of the last 3 he's played over 40 games, yet you're making out he's crock ??

Just now, cookeh said:

He was injured for half that season.. it happens..

But the year before he again played over 40 games.

So in 2 of the last 3 he's played over 40 games, yet you're making out he's crock ??

Not a crock, no.

But he's at the stage of his career where increased absences are more of a hazard, plus the effects of fatigue.

Just now, DJMortimer said:

Not a crock, no.

But he's at the stage of his career where increased absences are more of a hazard, plus the effects of fatigue.

Despite one 5 month injury, he's played over 100 games in 3 seasons for us.

But ok, you think he'll just flop dead now.. just because. Ok then.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not sure I agree. For me in a 4-3-3 you play with wingers more higher up the pitch. Reach and Harris are our only options. We could do with at least 1 new wide player to provide competition for them. I remember Carlos saying Forestieri doesn’t like playing wide left and we saw under Jos he ignored a lot of tracking back duties in that role. Joao could be an option but that’s not his natural position and he’s wasted out there in my opinion.

Then you’ve got Winnall, Rhodes, Fletch and Nuhiu who I could only ever imagine playing centrally. Far too many strikers, at least two need to go. 

You couldn’t possibly play with Reach and Harris either side of Fletcher, where would the goals come from. Reach and Fletcher might get 20 between them (not enough) but Harris never scores