Offer Westwood the captaincy.

As part of the deal to get Westwood to sign I would offer him the team captain role. It might just clinch the deal.

He seams like a big enough character to be effective in the role and has Loads of experience, not scared to hand out a roasting when needed but also seen him put an arm around the shoulder and a pat on the back which can be just as effective.

Harsh on Tom Lees, but I do think Toms style is not suited to the role, he also seems to play better when he only has his own game to think about.

10 minutes ago, NYowl said:

As part of the deal to get Westwood to sign I would offer him the team captain role. It might just clinch the deal.

He seams like a big enough character to be effective in the role and has Loads of experience, not scared to hand out a roasting when needed but also seen him put an arm around the shoulder and a pat on the back which can be just as effective.

Harsh on Tom Lees, but I do think Toms style is not suited to the role, he also seems to play better when he only has his own game to think about.

I'd offer him a coaching role and a mucky weekend with my wife if he will hurry up and sign a new deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

You should give the captaincy to player you think is most suited to the role not as part of a sweetner to sign a contract.

Good point, can't really think of anyone better really, maybe if Hector joins he could do the role. Who would you choose Matt ?

• Like 1

I generally don't like goalkeepers or forwards being captains but other than that KW has all the attributes of a good captain. 

Never thought Lees was the right choice. He needs to just get out there and play.

Not sure that Bannan is right either.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

I'd offer him a coaching role and a mucky weekend with my wife if he will hurry up and sign a new deal.

If I offered him that deal he'd sign for another club without any wages.:Sid:

• Haha 9

I don't like goalkeepers as captain.

Bannan is too hot and cold to be captain and I don't see him as an arm around the shoulder type. He'd be fine at the shouting at people bit.

Lees is a good player but not captain material.

Hutch would be ok if he played more games but I get the impression he can be a moody person.

Hector would be a good shout if we get him back.

Lee might fit the bill if his fitness is ok. He gets all over the pitch, always keeps going but maybe not a big enough personality.

• Like 1

It’s important to have the right captain, and I don’t believe there’s a standout captain in the group With that in mind, I’m hoping we bring in a player with those leadership qualities

Edited by gurujuan

11 minutes ago, torryowl said:

tom lees as captained the team under 4 different managers why do some think he isn't a good captain ……..what are they seeing that those who want change arnt ?

Obviously those who had him as captain know more about football than me (well some of them) and they know the bloke and know what he is like around the team.

What I see is someone who doesn't seem to be in charge of the defence on the pitch, never mind the rest of the team.

Not vocal enough, not  a leader, except by example. IMHO

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, torryowl said:

tom lees as captained the team under 4 different managers why do some think he isn't a good captain ……..what are they seeing that those who want change arnt ?

Maybe that he was just the best of a bad bunch He’s also the most experienced defender, which often qualifies someone for the role Having watched him for a while now, I’m not sure he’s the right man. He’s a good defender, who likes to have a clear role, and to just get on with his job He isn’t a good organiser. Indeed, when he played alongside young Thorniley, it was the inexperienced youngster who took charge