Offer Westwood the captaincy.

1 hour ago, NYowl said:

As part of the deal to get Westwood to sign I would offer him the team captain role. It might just clinch the deal.

He seams like a big enough character to be effective in the role and has Loads of experience, not scared to hand out a roasting when needed but also seen him put an arm around the shoulder and a pat on the back which can be just as effective.

Harsh on Tom Lees, but I do think Toms style is not suited to the role, he also seems to play better when he only has his own game to think about.

Ive never like Keepers being the captain. They are limited as to how much they can influence their team mates . Always has to be an outfield player for me. 

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe that he was just the best of a bad bunch He’s also the most experienced defender, which often qualifies someone for the role Having watched him for a while now, I’m not sure he’s the right man. He’s a good defender, who likes to have a clear role, and to just get on with his job He isn’t a good organiser. Indeed, when he played alongside young Thorniley, it was the inexperienced youngster who took charge

but some are calling for hutch ,westwood bannan and he's played with those for long time and yet manager after manager prefer lees to them  …….you don't have to be a demonstrative type to be captain ,I would think if you have the respect of your team mates and a manager who trusts you is far more important and lees seems to have that . 

• Like 1

He should be given a decent contract offer that fairly reflects his form at the club. If he chooses to sigh great, if not then he moves on we we wish him well for the future.

I really wouldn't go down the road of offering things like club captaincy just to get a player to sign a new deal. Firstly I don't think it would sway his decision anyway and secondly it could cause problems in the dressing room which is exactly what you don't want.

Personally I'd make Hutch captain.

Just now, torryowl said:

but some are calling for hutch ,westwood bannan and he's played with those for long time and yet manager after manager prefer lees to them  …….you don't have to be a demonstrative type to be captain ,I would think if you have the respect of your team mates and a manager who trusts you is far more important and lees seems to have that . 

I too would probably choose Lees over those, but I don’t think he’s ideal captain material We don’t have an ideal candidate at the moment

I like Tom Lees as captain.

Bruce said a few weeks ago, that if he had 11 Tom Lees in his team, his life would be easy.

Always first in training, always last to leave, hits the gym before everyone else even gets to training.

That to me is leading by example and a real captain.

Plus he starts every game. No brainer really.

You can also have vocal people on the pitch like Hector/Westwood and Bannan.

Edited by Mr Hooper
  • Like 2

I think I noticed Lees limitations as captain, during the time we had Dawson, Thorniley and Penney in the side. They were crying out for a bit of leadership, and someone to organise things at set plays. Tom Lees doesn’t do that, and it was left to young Thorniley to try and take charge. It’s not meant to be a criticism of Tom Lees, who I think is a good defender, and by all accounts, a great professional 

Obviously, with the return of the vastly experienced Westwood, those shortcomings weren’t so noticeable

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

Offer Westwood his favourite seat on the coach and a whoopie cushion. That should clinch it. 

1 hour ago, NYowl said:

As part of the deal to get Westwood to sign I would offer him the team captain role. It might just clinch the deal.

He seams like a big enough character to be effective in the role and has Loads of experience, not scared to hand out a roasting when needed but also seen him put an arm around the shoulder and a pat on the back which can be just as effective.

Harsh on Tom Lees, but I do think Toms style is not suited to the role, he also seems to play better when he only has his own game to think about.

Hector will be captain mate.

1 hour ago, prowl said:

I don't like goalkeepers as captain.

Bannan is too hot and cold to be captain and I don't see him as an arm around the shoulder type. He'd be fine at the shouting at people bit.

Lees is a good player but not captain material.

Hutch would be ok if he played more games but I get the impression he can be a moody person.

Hector would be a good shout if we get him back.

Lee might fit the bill if his fitness is ok. He gets all over the pitch, always keeps going but maybe not a big enough personality.

Agree with all this but think Lee is a bit quiet just gets on with his job. We have a few that need to be kept on their toes. Think Lees has improved in last few months but all defence did better organised.

Westwood will do his job with or without Captain's armband. He will organise and cajole back 4 constantly. Prefer defender or defensive midfielder as Captain able to get message to all on pitch and communicate with ref easily.

32 minutes ago, Quist said:

Agree with all this but think Lee is a bit quiet just gets on with his job. We have a few that need to be kept on their toes. Think Lees has improved in last few months but all defence did better organised.

Westwood will do his job with or without Captain's armband. He will organise and cajole back 4 constantly. Prefer defender or defensive midfielder as Captain able to get message to all on pitch and communicate with ref easily.

That's what I meant by " maybe not a big enough personality. "

• Like 1