Wierd Stat

37 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

So if we averaged 27k in 2016/17 with these prices you don’t think more people would go on top of that if prices were lower? What you’re basically saying is that demand is completely price inelastic which doesn’t seem true when you hear so many people mentioning price as a reason why they don’t go.

Think there’s more interest in live football now than there was at any point in the last 50 years due to TV exposure. And younger people nowadays are all about experiences so just think it’s evolving but Wednesday aren’t evolving with the trend

Definitely not as most of the people who say they aren't going because of the price were never going in the first place.As for your further point regarding more interest due to tv exposure - exactly, that's another reason for people not to go.

20 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

If we we went up he would bump prices up despite what other clubs have done with the premier league millions dwarfing gate money. 

And gates would go up, for a while. 

Lies, damn lies, and statistics 

Im not so sure that DC would increase prices if we gained promotion.  I think the current ticket prices are designed to maximise revenue to appease FFP rules (its another debate as to whether we’d bring in more revenue with lower prices).  If we were in the PL the FFP constraints would disappear and I reckon DC would price to fill the stadium.

As an aside I reckon the reason why our attendance has held up is largely based on the Championship being such a great product.  We’ve averaged over 24,000 per home game this season, but that’s only the 8th highest overall. I can’t imagine many, if any other second tier leagues around the world attracting that sort of support. I was also very surprised to see Forest lying 3rd with an average over 28,000.

What I don't get with the multi year season tickets you pay in advance but if we actually got promoted you are paying more as in the premier league you get 4 less games so a season ticket on the kop for early bird of £455 this season work out at £19.78 a game, should we get promoted the next season the same ticket price means you are paying £23.95 a £4 per game increase for supporting the club and giving them your money in advance.

Basically the 2-5 year season tickets are only worth it if we don't get promoted as very few teams are going to raise prices when they get promoted.

5 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

There’s lots of factors to this, but price is obviously a key one.

People might find this interesting as it shows average attendances by year for each division:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnengleague.htm

It shows attendances across the board are up roughly a third in the last 20 years. Ours aren’t for various reasons, the main one being that we have been rubbish for a large part of that time. But now that we have a decent side, the thing holding our attendances back is the price. Genuinely think we’d average 30k+ with more affordable pricing

Nah. Used to prefer to go when we were bobbar. Can’t gob off or boo these days. Late 2000’s and early 2010’s were pap but we almost had the oinkers siege mentality. Now it’s all prawn sandwiches and £50 tickets.:tango:

4 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Definitely not as most of the people who say they aren't going because of the price were never going in the first place.As for your further point regarding more interest due to tv exposure - exactly, that's another reason for people not to go.

I keep posting this. It's all about results and positivity. For many (not all) prices are the excuse they use not to go when we arent doing well..

8 hours ago, e6owl said:

The match day experience has become a fair bit better too. New scoreboard, better pitch, more things to do. Under MM it was all a bit grim. That's surely contributed to more people coming

I am broadly happy with the early bird season ticket pricing. But quite where you get the improved match day experience from, especially “more things to do”, I have absolutely no idea. The facilities and catering in the North stand have hardly changed since my first season ticket there in 1961! They were seen as world class back then but the experience at Hillsborough is now well behind the best. 

10 hours ago, Bulldog said:

This all day long. People keep putting a slant on the "we'd get 30K if the price was cheaper" We wouldn't, we haven't for over 50 years- end of!

United have and that's  whilst in a relegation season ,in the 90s they were in the low 20s in the premier 

Care to explain or are they just a bigger club 

11 hours ago, the monk said:

United have and that's  whilst in a relegation season ,in the 90s they were in the low 20s in the premier 

Care to explain or are they just a bigger club 

Genuinely don't understand the point you're making

16 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

I keep posting this. It's all about results and positivity. For many (not all) prices are the excuse they use not to go when we arent doing well..

Unfortunately theres not many of us that hold this opinion so we're obviously wrong!

22 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

There’s lots of factors to this, but price is obviously a key one.

People might find this interesting as it shows average attendances by year for each division:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnengleague.htm

It shows attendances across the board are up roughly a third in the last 20 years. Ours aren’t for various reasons, the main one being that we have been rubbish for a large part of that time. But now that we have a decent side, the thing holding our attendances back is the price. Genuinely think we’d average 30k+ with more affordable pricing

We haven't averaged over 30k got nearly 50 years.

Unless we got into the prem it's not gonna change.

We have a hard core group of 23k fans, it 5k or so who go every now and then, and the rest just turn up when the Pigs come down. That's it.

29 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

We have a hard core group of 23k fans, it 5k or so who go every now and then, and the rest just turn up when the Pigs come down. That's it.

That's almost word for word what I've been saying for years but no, it's the price...it's all about the price :Sid:

Guest LondonOwl313
50 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

This is kind of the point though... look at the link I posted, football attendances across the board are the highest in 50 years. That means other clubs are doing it, so why not Wednesday. There are thousands sat at home following the game but not attending because they don't want to be ripped off. Unless the club tried dropping the prices for a season we won't know for sure what attendances will be with lower prices. Are Sheffield Utd a bigger club now? They have higher attendances and according to your logic it's got nothing to do with them having lower ticket prices.

If prices don't matter and the 23k hardcore will turn up regardless of price and nobody else will bother anyway even if it was free, why don't we just make it 100 quid a ticket and double the revenue? It's because attending football matches is most definitely price elastic. I can't actually believe that some people don't think that increasing/reducing price reduces/increases demand... it's basic economics.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

This is kind of the point though... look at the link I posted, football attendances across the board are the highest in 50 years. That means other clubs are doing it, so why not Wednesday. There are thousands sat at home following the game but not attending because they don't want to be ripped off. Unless the club tried dropping the prices for a season we won't know for sure what attendances will be with lower prices. Are Sheffield Utd a bigger club now? They have higher attendances and according to your logic it's got nothing to do with them having lower ticket prices.

If prices don't matter and the 23k hardcore will turn up regardless of price and nobody else will bother anyway even if it was free, why don't we just make it 100 quid a ticket and double the revenue? It's because attending football matches is most definitely price elastic. I can't actually believe that some people don't think that increasing/reducing price reduces/increases demand... it's basic economics.

Whilst that many be correct for some the majority are sat at home because they can't be arsed, like they haven't been for 10/20 years prior.

United have higher attendances because they have had 3 fantastic seasons, winning promotion twice and generally doing well and winning matches. That brings more fans in than how much it costs. But still, they have a similar amount of hard core supporters like us and won't get over 30k unless in the premier league.

We also know what attendances would be like with lower prices. 2015/16 were a lot lower than they are now. We averaged 22.6k. 

Personally, if we dropped prices across the board by maybe £10 we'd probably increase our attendance by 3-4k, if that. Majority of those will be away supporters too, I'd guess. 

Only way we'd get 30k plus is in the premier league. Even then, we'd struggle to sell out against the likes of Watford and Bournemouth outside of the first season back.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

United have higher attendances because they have had 3 fantastic seasons, winning promotion twice and generally doing well and winning matches.

It's not just the last few seasons. This is the 8th consecutive season they've finished in the top half of their division, and the 11th in the last 12. In fact, since the 1993-94 season, when they were relegated from the Premier League and we finished 7th, they've finished in the top half in 21 of the past 25 seasons. If we finish the season in the top half, we'll make it 8 out of 25. That aside, I do think that, given that the two sides have won just one major trophy between them in over 80 years and have played just one season in the top flight between them this millennium, the fact that between them they average around 40,000-50,000 is really pretty impressive.

Edited by Sova

10 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Save your breath mate ,Forest ,Derby ,Norwich ,Blades , are bigger clubs 

Everyone's support has gone up from the 90s except us 

On 01/05/2019 at 00:01, Buckwheat said:

Before Chansiri put up the prices our 12 Championship averages prior to 2016/17were just over  22000 . The last 3 seasons with sky high admission it's 25000. 

One reason could be the players we're watching, most of them know how to play football.

Those 12 seasons, we were watching people impersonating footballers such as Jermaine Johnson, Darren Potter, David Graham, Enoch Showumni and Leon Knight. 

The last 3 seasons, we've been able to witness players who can actually play football such as Hooper, Bannan and Will Buckley.