Creating a false picture

I hope Bruce sees through it. Unlike Jos who gave new deals to Pudil and Nuhiu last season.

Players like Matias and Boyd have done well recently, but neither should be given a new deal. Neither have done enough in their time at Wednesday, and although can’t fault their effort in recent months they both should be replaced. Hooper is no doubt a good player, but even if he scores in the remaining games, at his age and with his injury record (been here almost 4 years and missed large chunks of every season) should not be offered a new deal. 

For those in contract, FF was unplayable last night but has shown time and time again he’s not someone you can rely on or build a team around. Same can be said for Joao.

I don’t know how FFP will hurt us, it might turn out we can’t get better than those out of contract. But for me we need to see a real change in the squad with some ruthlessness no matter how well certain players play every now and again. The fact is, a lot of these players aren’t consistent. And despite the way we played, we STILL got sucker punched and couldn’t see the game out. Which we’ve seen time and time again over the last few years. 

I’m confident Bruce realises this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I hope Bruce sees through it. Unlike Jos who gave new deals to Pudil and Nuhiu last season.

Players like Matias and Boyd have done well recently, but neither should be given a new deal. Neither have done enough in their time at Wednesday, and although can’t fault their effort in recent months they both should be replaced. Hooper is no doubt a good player, but even if he scores in the remaining games, at his age and with his injury record (been here almost 4 years and missed large chunks of every season) should not be offered a new deal. 

For those in contract, FF was unplayable last night but has shown time and time again he’s not someone you can rely on or build a team around. Same can be said for Joao.

I don’t know how FFP will hurt us, it might turn out we can’t get better than those out of contract. But for me we need to see a real change in the squad with some ruthlessness no matter how well certain players play every now and again. The fact is, a lot of these players aren’t consistent. And despite the way we played, we STILL got sucker punched and couldn’t see the game out. Which we’ve seen time and time again over the last few years. 

Ok, say we get rid of all the above.  Who the hell are we going to replace them with?  We would be lucky to raise 10-15million for them and to replace the quality you want to get rid of would cost upwards of 20 million.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have to move on from those players, who have been missing from our squad through injury, like @Mycroft say's it's going to be impossible to 

replace, but we cant keep paying top dollar on players wages who don't play.

The Club has to make a fresh start, no half measures, it will hurt us short term, long term is what we need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Ok, say we get rid of all the above.  Who the hell are we going to replace them with?  We would be lucky to raise 10-15million for them and to replace the quality you want to get rid of would cost upwards of 20 million.

Not necessarily. Bruce has found talent before and I trust him to do it again. Iorfa for 200k already looks a steal.

Aarons and Lazaar look quality, although I wouldn’t touch them as injuries look a problem with both.

Just now, Earlsfieldowl said:

Boyd is an interesting one.

He has lost pace and hasn’t had a great time here..we signed him about 3 years too late - classic Wednesday.

..but he’s been ok lately and Bruce knows him from their Hull days so he may stay.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a 1 year extension to be fair.

Will probably take a wage drop too because no other club will pay him what we are at his age. 

Would like someone younger and quicker though. 

I think it's a balance. I agree contracts to those who end up not playing - Pudil last season for example, is ridiculous - he must been on say £10k/week so there's £500k just there totally wasted which will impact our FFP position.

We need to be smart and have a smaller, fitter and focused squad - not the aimless collection of players we've seen for 3 years.

• Like 1

Guest gizowl
3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Agree with most of that, except Hooper and Nando, these two on their day are top championship players on their day. Fessi has had a torrid time with injury suspension, court cases, but now we've got a proper manager who knows how to deal with these sorts of players and get the best out of them, last night left Hooper out because he sees him more vital for brizzle game. Not saying they'll play every game, but having them to call on at vital times is crucial, like Vrancic for Norwich last night. 

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not necessarily. Bruce has found talent before and I trust him to do it again. Iorfa for 200k already looks a steal.

Aarons and Lazaar look quality, although I wouldn’t touch them as injuries look a problem with both.

And to buy them or players of their ilk would cost how much?  To replace Matias would cost more than we paid for him.

We already have the quality players here Bruce has shown that he can organise them to play better and with tweaking here and there can improve the squad to seriously challenge for promotion.

22 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Boyd played well under Bruce at Hull, and he’s turning his form around now. 

To whatever degree we re-structure the squad, I do hope that DC has also learned that it's not just merely okay to sell a player when their stake is high, but also desirable and for a club in our position, even necessary.

I hope that the resale value of players is a strongly guiding consideration this summer. We have to break out of what could potentially become the cycle of giving it a go for two seasons then spending the next two recuperating financially. And though I'd expect the club to always maximise it's opportunities to make money on the commercial side of things, I hope by now that DC recognizes that by far the best way to balance the books is by selling players - it doesn't matter how much he'd like the supporters to dig that little bit deeper into their pockets, there's just no way to compete financially with bringing in 7 or 8 million plus from player sales each season. 

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think tis is a good post  and i agree the difficulty facing Bruce is exacerbated by the possibility if not certainty that we may already be in or lined up for an embargo under what terms I dont know but

it's been a ridiculous season yet again for a few reasons:

the bizarre stance on senior players taken by, we are told, Jos

the continuing crazy situation re injuries

Bullen showing up the previous manager by transforming the team

Bruce manufacturing a fantastic run even though again beset by injuries 

the gradual return of players out for a season or more 

I don't envy what has to be done now.

This side is full of  injury prone ageing and inconsistent, good on their day players 

Given freedom from transfer restraint I believe he can transform this squad with shrewd buys , but in reality I think SB has to freshen it up reduce the wage bill and somehow introduce consistency all for a ......easy :blink:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gizowl said:

Agree with most of that, except Hooper and Nando, these two on their day are top championship players on their day. Fessi has had a torrid time with injury suspension, court cases, but now we've got a proper manager who knows how to deal with these sorts of players and get the best out of them, last night left Hooper out because he sees him more vital for brizzle game. Not saying they'll play every game, but having them to call on at vital times is crucial, like Vrancic for Norwich last night. 

The Bristol game is largely academic now so I doubt Hooper will be risked again this season.  Get him and Lee to concentrate on conditioning, that’s it.

I think he will focus on those whose deals are coming up a run out, possibly even some youth a chance.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

47 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

like pukki at norwich you mean?