Creating a false picture

I think it's going to be a case of if the right offer comes in then we sell any player, as for the out of contract players, I don't know how we stand resigning them within the whole FFP rules and regulations.

One thing is for sure, we need to raise funds to satisfy FFP initially before building/dismantling the squad.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I hope Bruce sees through it. Unlike Jos who gave new deals to Pudil and Nuhiu last season.

Players like Matias and Boyd have done well recently, but neither should be given a new deal. Neither have done enough in their time at Wednesday, and although can’t fault their effort in recent months they both should be replaced. Hooper is no doubt a good player, but even if he scores in the remaining games, at his age and with his injury record (been here almost 4 years and missed large chunks of every season) should not be offered a new deal. 

For those in contract, FF was unplayable last night but has shown time and time again he’s not someone you can rely on or build a team around. Same can be said for Joao.

I don’t know how FFP will hurt us, it might turn out we can’t get better than those out of contract. But for me we need to see a real change in the squad with some ruthlessness no matter how well certain players play every now and again. The fact is, a lot of these players aren’t consistent. And despite the way we played, we STILL got sucker punched and couldn’t see the game out. Which we’ve seen time and time again over the last few years. 

I’m confident Bruce realises this. 

I agree. Westwood needs another 2 years and Palmer deserves his new contract. I’d personally release the rest whilst I know Hooper and Lee are my 2 favourite players. I think Hooper will get an offer which we are unprepared to match.

We also need to sell a few but this won’t be easy. I’d say, Nuhiu, Winnall, Rhodes, Fox, JVA and Pelupessy will all be out of favour but finding clubs for them will prove difficult. I think it’s more likely that a bid comes in for a player we want to keep like Reach and we need to be receptive to listening to offers if it helps Bruce build us again.

Bruce also has a big job on this summer and he will have to work with restrictions. However, I’m 100% confident that he knows what he’s doing and he will bring in what we need. I’ve been very impressed so far.

After last nights switch to a 4-1-4-1 (4-3-3), Id also like him to bear in mind that we need to use this formation more next season as we will not be able to control games with only 2 in central midfield. So signings in central midfield this summer are pivotal to ensure we have this flexibility. 

• Like 1

I realise it won’t be popular but I wouldn’t even contemplate offering Hooper a new deal.

Bruce has said the common factor of the top teams in the division is young, energetic, athletic players who can play high pressing football for 90 mins.  . He has also said we need to change our ridiculous injury levels.

Why would you give Hooper a new deal?

49 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Excellent post Sally. The club needs to take in to account how players like Boys, MM etc have done since day 1 with us and not just in the last few weeks. Personally hope we get rid of both along with quite a few others. 

Boyd ffs not boys. 

1 hour ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Boyd is an interesting one.

He has lost pace and hasn’t had a great time here..we signed him about 3 years too late - classic Wednesday.

..but he’s been ok lately and Bruce knows him from their Hull days so he may stay.

I had thought he was way past sell by date. It just shows if you play a player in his correct position and set team up correctly how it can improve a player. Think he cam on very good money from Burnley so think its unlikely we will keep him. if some players are realistic and accept lower wages I think a few may remain but with likes of Matias and Hooper their appearance record excludes them from being kept on at same rate. Also game against Leeds illustrated you can not play lots of slow play against energetic opponents. last night we saw Bannan, Fox, Hooper all left out and difference against a similar energetic team to Leeds was noticeable. 

Every faith that Bruce knows what he wants and what he needs.

His recent interviews , to my mind, show that he won't be persuaded by the odd good game here and there and that he has a vision of what he wants from and in the playing squad next season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, simpark said:

The squad needs massive trimming. This picture sums it up - they've had to reduce the font size to fit it on the back of the programme

D4iQBBqWkAEwXzh.jpg

To be fair you could remove 5 of them because Jos chucked the young lads in when they weren’t even ready. 

1 hour ago, daleblue said:

As long as Nando refuses to get on.

quite an 'interesting' dilemma that, 

does bruce see such an 'independent (unusual) spirit' as a 'fit' in what he has in mind, or a good sale to raise money for his first serious push?, time will tell.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Hope I'm wrong too, would like to see some real quality signings for the midfield.  DC might think sod it, take the hit of a ten points reduction and go with real quality signings all over the park and still go up.  

Unfortunately won't happen. 

yup! that's one of 3 I can think of...

2 being get shut of what we can, and bring in loans, with the odd free here and there after selling what has to go, along with a bit of the 'family silver' but not all of it to keep P&S at bay, and if we fail either go number one (hail mary) the following season, or 3.

3 sell the ground. 

I'm not completely sure I understand all the fuss regarding the squad. Most of the players we should be letting go haven't played anyway. The doubt seems to be around players who would be squad players anyway.

As an example, I would be happy with either boyd or MM on the bench, probably not both though.

27 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

quite an 'interesting' dilemma that, 

does bruce see such an 'independent (unusual) spirit' as a 'fit' in what he has in mind, or a good sale to raise money for his first serious push?, time will tell.

One, if not both him and Reach go to give him some cash to bring in who he wants.

He must already have targets, needs to know how he's going to fund, suppose that gets sorted next week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I realise it won’t be popular but I wouldn’t even contemplate offering Hooper a new deal.

Bruce has said the common factor of the top teams in the division is young, energetic, athletic players who can play high pressing football for 90 mins.  . He has also said we need to change our ridiculous injury levels.

Why would you give Hooper a new deal?

Hes a quality player is Hooper and is one of my favourite players but I do agree. I think with having 7 strikers, this will also have a bearing on the fact that we will release him. 

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Hes a quality player is Hooper and is one of my favourite players but I do agree. I think with having 7 strikers, this will also have a bearing on the fact that we will release him. 

He is a quality player .

Perhaps I should have included a caveat “ unless he scores a hat trick on Monday “