Creating a false picture

7 minutes ago, the monk said:

So you would start by getting rid of the crocs (latest buzz word) but be ok keeping Matias one of the biggest crocs (buzz word )?

Has been fit all season ... so yeah I’d consider it . He is also mobile enough to contribute . As I said I’m open to him staying but wouldn’t be upset if he didn’t . 

Not really a buzz word , it’s a term used to describe players for years 

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think the general thrust of what the OP is saying is correct, mainly because we are not in a position to gamble on players who have, for the most part, failed to deliver. Yes there has definitely been an improvement in players like Boyd, but for us, it’s too risky to contemplate a new deal. Matias, yes potentially he is a very effective wide player who can score goals (unlike Aarons) However, I still wouldn’t renew, and don’t think he’d stay anyway 

Sentiment almost sways me, when it comes to Hooper and Lee, because, if fit, they could be very important players for us. Don’t believe we are in a position to take that chance though. For similar reasons, there must be question marks about signing Aarons and Lazaar as well, and certainly Onomah. Like Hooper and Lee, I suspect, if all were fit, they could be useful additions to the squad. 

I can see your logic but you would be hard impressed to sign players who could guarantee not to be injured.  A large percentage of professional footballers at some point in their career have an injury which keeps them out for months.

On another point why do you think Matias wouldn't stay?  He has cafe business (I hear they do a very good breakfast) so I'm confident he would jump at the chance at staying.  It also makes me wonder if he has already been given assurances that he is staying hence why he opened his cafe.

I'd be happy if he did stay. 

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Has been fit all season ... so yeah I’d consider it . He is also mobile enough to contribute . As I said I’m open to him staying but wouldn’t be upset if he didn’t . 

Not really a buzz word , it’s a term used to describe players for years 

Think you may have resurrected it ,its in every other post now!

Young "hungry" players is on the up

A couple of weeks ago we had 

"We have a squeak " after Bruce used it in an interview 

"Self entitlement " was a cracker for a while 

3 minutes ago, the monk said:

"Over the hill", was a good one seems to have fallen out of favour. 

8 minutes ago, the monk said:

Have you been on the sauce ? Not mocking , I’m actually jealous 

3 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I can see your logic but you would be hard impressed to sign players who could guarantee not to be injured.  A large percentage of professional footballers at some point in their career have an injury which keeps them out for months.

On another point why do you think Matias wouldn't stay?  He has cafe business (I hear they do a very good breakfast) so I'm confident he would jump at the chance at staying.  It also makes me wonder if he has already been given assurances that he is staying hence why he opened his cafe.

Of course, you are right regarding ALL players and injuries, it’s probably more specific to our own situation. Steve Bruce has said he wants to operate a smaller squad next season, and with our potential curbs on spending, its more important than ever that we don’t take risks. All transfers are a risk, for sure, and there weren’t too many people suggesting Abdi was a “croc” when we signed him, but given our recent experience with injuries, perhaps we should be a bit more cautious 

As for Matias, I like him, and certainly, had I been in charge, there would have been more game time for both him and Joao As for whether he’d stay or not, maybe you know more than me, and my thoughts were based on something I read in the paper last year, that he was looking to move back to Portugal. As I say, I like him, a wide player with pace, who scores goals, and is diligent in defence

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Of course, you are right regarding ALL players and injuries, it’s probably more specific to our own situation. Steve Bruce has said he wants to operate a smaller squad next season, and with our potential curbs on spending, its more important than ever that we don’t take risks. All transfers are a risk, for sure, and there weren’t too many people suggesting Abdi was a “croc” when we signed him, but given our recent experience with injuries, perhaps we should be a bit more cautious 

As for Matias, I like him, and certainly, had I been in charge, there would have been more game time for both him and Joao As for whether he’d stay or not, maybe you know more than me, and my thoughts were based on something I read in the paper last year, that he was looking to move back to Portugal. As I say, I like him, a wide player with pace, who scores goals, and is diligent in defence

You know more than me regarding Matias I didn't know about the paper article, I was merely adding two and two together.  I agree with you about giving him and Joao more game time. 

23 hours ago, Mycroft said:

And to buy them or players of their ilk would cost how much?  To replace Matias would cost more than we paid for him.

We already have the quality players here Bruce has shown that he can organise them to play better and with tweaking here and there can improve the squad to seriously challenge for promotion.

Think loans are the way forward in that respect. Say you pay half a loaners wages, we should be able to brin* in some quality prem youngsters on 5he wages we free up from Abdi, Jones, Boyd, et al.

Not really sure either are consistent enough as attacking threats. 

And neither have any pace. 

We need some pacey wingers they make the difference at this level. 

Unfortunately what tends to come with Pacey players are injuries. 

Fact of life. 

33 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Looking at the O/P

I was surprised to see it wasn't you who started this thread  ? .....

:Sid:

if it's a posting against the 'utter wasteful, scattergun, amateurish' approach there has been here over managerial and players appointments then , YES i'm up for that.

we've picked a wrong manager twice, we've picked a cart load of players up and let virtually no one go till the squad is bursting at the seams. 

many of the signings have been men at their peak, with only downhill in their future, some of the more recent we've aimed at men past 'their peak' in order to cut the waiting time out it seems.

before bruce's arrival the 'better players' in the squad/team were often players from pre carvalhal days, and in some cases still are.

the money wasted has been at a shocking level, and now it appears we have to pay the ferryman, OR roll the dice once, or twice more again.

2 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

if it's a posting against the 'utter wasteful, scattergun, amateurish' approach there has been here over managerial and players appointments then , YES i'm up for that.

we've picked a wrong manager twice, we've picked a cart load of players up and let virtually no one go till the squad is bursting at the seams. 

many of the signings have been men at their peak, with only downhill in their future, some of the more recent we've aimed at men past 'their peak' in order to cut the waiting time out it seems.

before bruce's arrival the 'better players' in the squad/team were often players from pre carvalhal days, and in some cases still are.

the money wasted has been at a shocking level, and now it appears we have to pay the ferryman, OR roll the dice once, or twice more again.

I just meant the picture bit 

:tango:

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I suspect that he doesn't spend much time behind the counter, so it wouldn't matter where he lives...:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Interesting you have done your research, could the club sign players on £10,000 and then sort of under the table promise them a wage rise once the embargo is over?

I’m not sure I bet this still goes on but I think the cap under a soft embargo is only players on 10k or less free transfers and if you have a squad of 23 or less registered players ( I could be wrong ) I’m sure bungs ate still going on in football though I have no evidence to back this up with it just seems strange with all the exposure a few years ago that it would be completely eradicated already