League Position.

In my opinion if we get  a top half finish this season that to me will be deemed as a decent season.

Especially after the salvage job Bullen,Agnew and more specifically Bruce has done since Jos. Going forwards I believe next season top ten is the realistic aim with the threat on ffp and embargo ect. Then top 6 challange in the season after. Bruce needs 2 years minimum to get us in a fighting position for promotion.

Since he's come In look how easy it's been to climb up the table, that's him working with what he's been given , after a good preseason of wheeling and dealing he will have a bigger foothold in the team, can't wait for next season now:biggrin:

Edited by stocksyuto

6 minutes ago, JOHNHARKES said:

If a miracle where to happen and we somehow got top 6 this season. Id never be more certain of promotion in my life. Be like stopping a steam train. But sadly a pipe dream. Trying to be realistic.

Would have been an unbelievable bonus, however the injuries will probably keep them just out of grasp.

Guest Willow Owl
8 minutes ago, JOHNHARKES said:

In my opinion if we get  a top half finish this season that to me will be deemed as a decent season.

Especially after the salvage job Bullen,Agnew and more specifically Bruce has done since Jos. Going forwards I believe next season top ten is the realistic aim with the threat on ffp and embargo ect. Then top 6 challange in the season after. Bruce needs 2 years minimum to get us in a fighting position for promotion.

Got to agree with you pal, Signs are there. Plus the feel good factor is starting to return. Time to put all issues behind us and support the club and players UTO.

What a waste of a season it looks like being. The Division is that bad this season we've only needed to do a little bit more to have been in the thick of it. Even if we could have traded the recent run of draws evenly for wins and losses would have had us there or there abouts. Jos what was the thinking.

26 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

Since he's come In look how easy it's been to climb up the table, that's him working with what he's been given , after a good preseason of wheeling and dealing he will have a bigger foothold in the team, can't wait for next season now:biggrin:

It hasn't been that easy, even after 8 games unbeaten under Bruce we're only 2 places higher!

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Would have been an unbelievable bonus, however the injuries will probably keep them just out of grasp.

I am still really hopeful. We have come out of the last two games against the Pigs and Frank Lampard’s Derby (our bogey side when they used to be just plain old Derby County) with two points - that’s quite an achievement in my opinion. The next three fixtures are key; they are winnable games and if we get though those with, say, seven (or even better nine) points then we’d be very unlucky not to be two or three points away from the top six and we’d also have a head of steam going into that final run in. Achieve that and the fit players run that extra mile and injured players will want to play with injections, strapping, pots and splints if need be. 

I think that we will be that team that makes that late run, I can feel it in my water (or maybe that’s a bladder infection?). 

Considering the hand we were dealt with the embargo and injuries, think a top 10 finish would be a decent return. 

I'd wager that we have not had the luxury of a fully fit squad to choose from for well over 2 years  even premier league teams could not cope with 4-10 first team players consistently unavailable (although Jos didn't help and made this harder with his exclusion policy)

I don’t necessarily agree that it will take a couple of years to build towards the top 6 again, which seems to be the general consensus. A settled and consistent back line in particular has seen us in top 6 form for a third of a season. 7 or 8 leaving at the end of season plus the re-signing of Westwood, contract to Hector and 3 or 4 astute loans/full transfers gives us a top 6 side. A better injury record and PACE is the key.

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I am still really hopeful. We have come out of the last two games against the Pigs and Frank Lampard’s Derby (our bogey side when they used to be just plain old Derby County) with two points - that’s quite an achievement in my opinion. The next three fixtures are key; they are winnable games and if we get though those with, say, seven (or even better nine) points then we’d be very unlucky not to be two or three points away from the top six and we’d also have a head of steam going into that final run in. Achieve that and the fit players run that extra mile and injured players will want to play with injections, strapping, pots and splints if need be. 

I think that we will be that team that makes that late run, I can feel it in my water (or maybe that’s a bladder infection?). 

Obviously I hope you're right, but what struck me when I looked at our league position of 16th after the Hull game which was the last league match before Bruce took over, was that Preston were 18th. They've had a hell of a run to put themselves in contention, and it just shows that too many draws have killed us. Obviously the last two have been decent on paper, but failing to win any of the Preston, Millwall and Rotherham games has probably cost us a realistic shot at the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Obviously I hope you're right, but what struck me when I looked at our league position of 16th after the Hull game which was the last league match before Bruce took over, was that Preston were 18th. They've had a hell of a run to put themselves in contention, and it just shows that too many draws have killed us. Obviously the last two have been decent on paper, but failing to win any of the Preston, Millwall and Rotherham games has probably cost us a realistic shot at the playoffs.

Just spotted I put Preston instead of Reading, too late to edit!

10 minutes ago, alanharper said:

It’s a tough ask but history shows us that there’s no consistency in league position over the course of a season. There’s still 10 games to go (just under a quarter of the season) and the league will look different come the final day. We have everything to play for but now we have that aim with a resilience to get something out of the game. I cannot see Bruce allowing us to replicate the Millwall, Reading and Rotherham run of form in our next three games - he’s had some quality coaching time with the players since those games. 

Edited by shandypants