#OnThisDay 40 years Ago

Yep remember that day well, but mentioned this was 40 years ago the other day and thought WTF. Due to the prolonged cold snap the replays were centre stage in the media. Being able to listen to us on national radio commentary was a rarity, on Radio 2 them days on medium wave, so terrible quality but magical nonetheless for this then 10 year old

Guest LittleG
3 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

This really does make me fell ancient !  and what an abolute legend was Big Jack - imagine any other manager joining in this (in a collar & tie) .

The start of the 1979 FA Cup Marathon - Wednesday 1 - Asenal 1 - goal Jeff Johnson. And snowballing Jennings - Classic!

1979_zpsab35250e(1).JPG.a6f492639d3b37da415dfff2a5a81c72.JPG

jackarsea79-1_zpscc8a62f6.JPG.e6e84388e25e321fd7d69e08e3fb5322.JPG

0_zps4ba21a7e(2).JPG.cf248d50e6bc9a2611cc6ebfdf8cf0b4.JPG

jj79_zpsa417d40c.thumb.JPG.23a61309963f4d0d53e251b02991574b.JPG

Remember it well. Stood on the Kop and must admit to throwing a snowball. 

Went to all the games.....brilliant memories. Was on the Kop for the first game and threw a snowball....

As mkowl said because of the weather there was very little football being played so everyone was following the saga. They chose Filbert Street for the final three games because they could virtually guarantee the games would be played; they had a huge pitch covering which blew up like a balloon with hot air fans so the pitch could be kept frost free. 

Brian Hornsby was simply superb on those games, against his first club. But what did for us was losing Dennis Leman after the fourth game. We lost the impetus from midfield which he gave us and quite frankly the last game was a bit of an anti-climax. But the whole series of games really helped kick start us back to the big time.

3 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

This really does make me fell ancient !  and what an abolute legend was Big Jack - imagine any other manager joining in this (in a collar & tie) .

The start of the 1979 FA Cup Marathon - Wednesday 1 - Asenal 1 - goal Jeff Johnson. And snowballing Jennings - Classic!

1979_zpsab35250e(1).JPG.a6f492639d3b37da415dfff2a5a81c72.JPG

jackarsea79-1_zpscc8a62f6.JPG.e6e84388e25e321fd7d69e08e3fb5322.JPG

0_zps4ba21a7e(2).JPG.cf248d50e6bc9a2611cc6ebfdf8cf0b4.JPG

jj79_zpsa417d40c.thumb.JPG.23a61309963f4d0d53e251b02991574b.JPG

Thanks for this.

40 years ago wow. I was 9 my Dad took me.

I remember being stood on the Lepp towards the North Stand, at half time a "snowball fight" started on the Lepp.

We went for some food and upon returning to our place were stopped by a copper who advised we were to go in the triangle for my safety (I guess it was more than a snowball fight).

We went in the triangle and some time later a big mob entered behind us ran down the triangle and over into the bottom of the Lepp.

I thought it was great fun!

Looking back I still don't know if it was Wednesday or Arsenal fans.

Anybody else remember this? Everyone's memory of the Hillsborough match is Jennings getting snowballed but I definetly remember this.

As for the games, I also still remember listening to all the Replays on the Radio, so close to victory at Highbury, it all ended in defeat but as stated earlier was the start of our climb back to the top tier.

These matches and the Everton saga 9 years? later, really were what the Cup was all about.

• Like 1

IIRC that season the players no squad rotation in those days played something like 70 games. Plus none of this 10 days between replays, drew the match Saturday replayed Tuesday or Wednesday that week.

1 hour ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Went to all the games.....brilliant memories. Was on the Kop for the first game and threw a snowball....

As mkowl said because of the weather there was very little football being played so everyone was following the saga. They chose Filbert Street for the final three games because they could virtually guarantee the games would be played; they had a huge pitch covering which blew up like a balloon with hot air fans so the pitch could be kept frost free. 

Brian Hornsby was simply superb on those games, against his first club. But what did for us was losing Dennis Leman after the fourth game. We lost the impetus from midfield which he gave us and quite frankly the last game was a bit of an anti-climax. But the whole series of games really helped kick start us back to the big time.

Also, I vaguely remember Mark Smith(?) getting crocked by Stapleton or Sunderland in the final game with Arsenal scoring as a direct result. Other than the final game, Wednesday matched Arsenal all over the pitch and, for that matter, on the terraces, too.

11 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

40 years ago wow. I was 9 my Dad took me.

I remember being stood on the Lepp towards the North Stand, at half time a "snowball fight" started on the Lepp.

We went for some food and upon returning to our place were stopped by a copper who advised we were to go in the triangle for my safety (I guess it was more than a snowball fight).

We went in the triangle and some time later a big mob entered behind us ran down the triangle and over into the bottom of the Lepp.

I thought it was great fun!

Looking back I still don't know if it was Wednesday or Arsenal fans.

Anybody else remember this? Everyone's memory of the Hillsborough match is Jennings getting snowballed but I definetly remember this.

As for the games, I also still remember listening to all the Replays on the Radio, so close to victory at Highbury, it all ended in defeat but as stated earlier was the start of our climb back to the top tier.

These matches and the Everton saga 9 years? later, really were what the Cup was all about.

Yes i remember the snowballing of the Arsenal fans on the Lepp, which were a gang of lads throwing from the top of the NW corner.

It seemed the Arsenal fans took umbrage and decided to sort them out  little knowing that they were also some rather large gentlemen up there  as well, and lets say they went back down the stairs quicker than they came up.

I was 19 and took my Mum (she loved it). Sat in the North level with the Kop end penalty area. Every time I see the footage or a picture I try to find us.

That day (and the whole ensuing marathon) was more than a bit special. The fact that we still talk about it all these years later tells you just how special it really was. The true magic of the cup.

Oh that we could still have those days where it took as many replays as necessary!

Edited by Utah Owl