#OnThisDay 40 years Ago

One thing I always remember about this was the draw this was the last match drawn out, all that was left in the bag was us or Tranmere and Arsenal when it was us drawn out first me and my old man went mad forgetting we'd have to beat Tranmere first. Love these old memories 

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Went to all the games.....brilliant memories. Was on the Kop for the first game and threw a snowball....

As mkowl said because of the weather there was very little football being played so everyone was following the saga. They chose Filbert Street for the final three games because they could virtually guarantee the games would be played; they had a huge pitch covering which blew up like a balloon with hot air fans so the pitch could be kept frost free. 

Brian Hornsby was simply superb on those games, against his first club. But what did for us was losing Dennis Leman after the fourth game. We lost the impetus from midfield which he gave us and quite frankly the last game was a bit of an anti-climax. But the whole series of games really helped kick start us back to the big time.

Yep, also went to all the games, unforgettable memories,briĺliant set of matches.

1 hour ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Also, I vaguely remember Mark Smith(?) getting crocked by Stapleton or Sunderland in the final game with Arsenal scoring as a direct result. Other than the final game, Wednesday matched Arsenal all over the pitch and, for that matter, on the terraces, too.

The Filbert St cup ties are one of my best memories following Wednesday, mainly due to our supporters, we were immense and hammered Arsenal in that department.

If my memory serves correct, there was 28k at the final replay and we took 22k, waving to each other from every part of the ground and singing 'we are proud of you', will live forever in the memory.

• Haha 1

Makes me feel old this but what a memory being there as a 6 year old. First time I saw Wednesday score live through Jeff Johnson. Only went to the Hillsborough game  as my old man didn’t go away much then but I remember how v close we went in the first replay. I remember getting football annuals bought me for Christmas and my old man pointing out pictures of Liam Brady and saying how good he was and how he’d soon be playing against Wednesday. He was right but even then I didn’t want to hear about any player that was going to play well against us! Funny how you recall things. Happy days and an epic cup tie that sadly the likes of are long gone.

The first 2 games at Leicester were my first 'away' games. The queues outside for the first game were huge and we were late getting in. I heard a bit of a roar and assumed that we had scored. Little did I know how MASSIVE our support was until I got in just as Hornsby scored. The noise was deafening and it then dawned on me that the roar (squeak?) I'd heard was for arsenal's opener.

In the second game there, I'm convinced that we'd have won if they hadn't got a dodgy penalty. We were the better side up to that point and whilst Turner saved the pen, the defence lost concentration and Arsenal equalised from the resulting corner. An amusing footnote was that at half time of extra time of this game, we were singing our heads off trying to lift the lads for one last push to win. Over the tannoy came scores from elsewhere including Aldershot 1 Sheffield United 0. The cheering got even louder, there were we slugging it out with one of the top teams in the country whilst United (who at the time were in the division above us) were wimping out to a 4th division side....always in our shadow lol