Roland Nilsson seen outside Hillsborough 6pm

2 hours ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

Roland used to live on my street in Loxley back in the day. Woodstock Road just round the corner from Loxley Primary school where I was a pupil. It was Some time Around 1989 to when we left Sheffield for Edinburgh in June 1992. Also Martin Hodge used to frequent Wisewood shops just up the road too. 

Hodgy lived on Aldene Ave just next to Wadsley Common.

Consummate professional

The queues for photos were mind boggling, must've been virtually every one of the 260 audience and Roland greeted every single individual as though they were his favourite person in the world.

Took time to chat to everybody that spoke to him.

Wouldn't be drawn on whether he would be interested in the job as respect to the Swedish FA

He would tho...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, 33 said:

Consummate professional

The queues for photos were mind boggling, must've been virtually every one of the 260 audience and Roland greeted every single individual as though they were his favourite person in the world.

Took time to chat to everybody that spoke to him.

Wouldn't be drawn on whether he would be interested in the job as respect to the Swedish FA

He would tho...

The guys just pure class, he oozes it you can see that....

LEGEND

He looks amazing.

I'd deffo have him as a player never mind manager.

One couldn't help but be astounded just how classy this guy is. Not a wrong word all evening and when we left at near 1130 PM he was still doing photos.

What a thoroughly nice guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to this tonight.

Highlights - Man Utd wanted him on loan but he preferred to come here as Ron offered him 3 1/2 years

- factor on him leaving was he didn't see eye to eye with Trev (as well as personal stuff)

- didn't come back here when he returned to England as had a meeting with Pleat and thought he didn't rate him.

- Paul Walker was MC and was a nòb. Ex radio sheff one not him in car racing films. 

7 hours ago, roland nilson said:

Excellent night with a model professional footballer and my parting words were “you’re the best right back we’ll ever have”

Did you tell him that in tribute you had him as your Owlstalk username but spelt his name wrong? 

• Haha 4

A pure classy player and person. Our best ever right back and best ever foreign player. A born winner. His top level world class pedigree is up there with the likes of Chris Waddle and Ron Springett. I'd preferably go for a experienced proven Championship manager but I would love to see what someone like Roland Nilsson could do. He's one of our biggest modern legends, his record as a player speaks for itself, he'd be someone to respect and inspire. 

3 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

And if/when he fails?

Barring Megson, having ex players who did well here as a manager is a recipe for disaster.

Regardless of success or failure as a manager, his reputation as a player is assured. We've rarely ever had a genuine top class world class player with a similar top pedigree. In the modern era, only Waddle can eclipse Nilsson for stature and pedigree. You have to go back to the 60s and the days of Springett to find players of that kind of genuine calibre, stature and pedigree. It's worth a gamble. Maybe if we were more stable but the likes of Lampard have looked like inspirational appointments.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Regardless of success or failure as a manager, his reputation as a player is assured. We've rarely ever had a genuine top class world class player with a similar top pedigree. In the modern era, only Waddle can eclipse Nilsson for stature and pedigree. You have to go back to the 60s and the days of Springett to find players of that kind of genuine calibre, stature and pedigree. It's worth a gamble. Maybe if we were more stable but the likes of Lampard have looked like inspirational appointments.

If he came here and failed, fans would be on his back irrespective of his reputation as a player.

Players coming back as managers rarely work - too much baggge etc.

Lampard had no connection with Derby and has proved inspired - but it’s the exception rather than the rule.