The City Is Theirs

Guest Hillsborough Mole

1 hour ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Yep - can't believe people are actually celebrating how far we've dropped behind them

Nobody's celebrating dropping behind them, they are reacting to the game not the clubs recent history. 

Save you agenda driven bile for international week.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, billyblack said:

At this moment in time their club is better run than ours and deserves to be where it is. Simple as that.

Better run? Don’t know about that, they have more politics than us. What they do have is a decent lower league manager that can get the best out of rubbish players at the moment, but I feel their slide has begun. Come Christmas they’ll all be on Wilder’s back. I passed by 10 minutes ago and they’re not happy

Things are far from rosy with Chansiri and Jos but there are so many factors with the manager that you just can’t brush over. Unless a club is well ran (which we clearly have not been) then the team moves through cycles. We are very much on a down cycle and we've got a hundred issues that make emulating what Wilder is doing a near impossibility in the short term. People have a vastly over exaggerated idea of how good our squad is. It is now a total rag bag assembly of crocks, freebies and youngsters. Lee and Hooper, two of our very best players, are never available. Forestieri hardly ever fit. Burning through wages on the likes of Abdi. None of these issues will be solved until the summer clear which is the first real opportunity to breathe fresh air into the squad and get everybody pulling in the right direction. Without that you don’t do what the pigs are doing and FFP might still hamper us.

Last night was all that in a nutshell. Nothing good about it in the long term. Them on an upward trajectory, us on the downward. Still doesn’t mean we can’t be happy about a massively committed performance halting a terrible slide in that lots backyard. Showing all the qualities that we’ll need if we are in this relegation fight folk keep telling us about.

It all needs to be better but if we’re in the kind of mess people keep telling us we are in then they should understand the consequences of it too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We played crap and was very lucky to come away with a point this manager really scares me more than any other with some very strange selections ,

i get certain players are no longer in his plans due to certain circumstances but it looks like he’s resigned to trying to keep us in this league even before Christmas and that scares me even more .

17 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

To an extent that's true, and the OP is hysterical. There are cycles. They are clearly better than us now. This could be the start of a long period of supremacy, but these things can change quickly. Most likely they won't go up. Most likely we won't go down, although we certainly look like relegation candidates. Next season with a different manager and different players things could be a lot better or a lot worse for us.

Having supported since 1977 I reckon we have had the upper hand by about 25:15 seasons. They were better in the late 70s, although by the time I was watching they were in decline. They were then clearly ahead 2000-2012; and then the last two seasons.

I don't agree the balance changed in the 90s. The best day for them relative to us in my lifetime was in May 1990; but that wasn't in the end a shift in the balance of power. They did the double over us in 91-92, but we had much the better season.

What I would say is that you have to go back to the first half of the 1970s to find a time when they were a really good side. At least in my time watching I have seen us being one of the best teams in the country. Sadly, unless the breakaway to a European superleague happens, neither Sheffield club has a hope of becoming a top six club again. 

Just to clarify the early 90's we were so far superior it was the fact we struggled to beat them that was frustrating.

Then we had the semi final, even then we should have mullered them.

We barely played them in the 80's. Indeed at school, fair enough that was in north Sheffield,  the rivalry was more with the Dingle fans

Just now, shireowl said:

We played crap and was very lucky to come away with a point this manager really scares me more than any other with some very strange selections ,

i get certain players are no longer in his plans due to certain circumstances but it looks like he’s resigned to trying to keep us in this league even before Christmas and that scares me even more .

Nowt lucky about last night fella.

6 years in the wilderness while we were streets ahead, playing in Play Off semis and finals, signing players we had dreamed about

Now Jos has us going away to their place - with 13 league places separating us - playing 6 defenders and going for a 0-0 with just 25% possession

How we have fallen behind United.

Jos Luhukays and Dejphon Chansiris Sheffield Wednesday. Makes you proud

Get a grip you tart. We're in our second season of mediocrity. Not our 6th in the pub league.

One team went out for a draw. One team went out for a win. Who achieved what exactly? They failed to beat a very average Wednesday side.

And if that's the tactics we have to employ playing away at 2nd in the league, so be it. Looks like November will be the start of their decline again.

Unless the board give mardy arse another thirty bob in January. Or they sell the fat lad. Again!

6 years in the wilderness while we were streets ahead, playing in Play Off semis and finals, signing players we had dreamed about

Now Jos has us going away to their place - with 13 league places separating us - playing 6 defenders and going for a 0-0 with just 25% possession

How we have fallen behind United.

Jos Luhukays and Dejphon Chansiris Sheffield Wednesday. Makes you proud

They said the same when Adkins was in charge...at the moment we are going through a rough time but im sure with a few tweeks like getting rid of jos and bringing in someone who knows how to run a club to help Chansiri we can be a force again...look at Norwich last season and this for proof of that.

It's all cycles. 

We are on a downer and they are having an upturn. 

I think a lot of their upward momentum is contingent on keeping hold of Wilder. They're also going to have to find replacements for the likes of Sharp, Duffy, McGoldrick etc., before too long; all of whom are still key players in the squad. 

A different manager, a clear out of players in the summer and we could start to pick up again. Admittedly, that's some pretty major things that have to happen. 

29 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I didnt bring it up mate.......................my original point was that i am 56 years old and that is the most one sided Sheffield derby i have seen in all that time.

Posters have just plucked one of the two best derby performances by us in that time to try and counter it, which is fine..their opinion ,  but i stick by what i have said.

For me the semi final was more one sided purely on chances created. Alan Kelly played the game of his life. We created so many chances hit the woodwork twice and should have been out of sight.

Last night they totally dominated us possession wise forced Dawson into 2 decent saves and then penalty but to be honest they massively struggled to create a glaring opportunity. They severely lack quality upfront which will be their downfall again this season.

I didn't enjoy the way we played last night and it's not what I want to see but after conceding 10 goals in our last 3 games with players totally devoid of confidence against a side at the very top of their game I understand it.

8 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Nowt lucky about last night fella.

Really really Jesus you carry on deluding yourself fella if the pen had gone in we would probably have collapsed like a pack of cards ,

we got out of jail last night yes we defended well but if that’s how we are going to set up to survive this season god help us .

40 minutes ago, Justbeanz said:

Post of the week. So much said in so few words. Everything in a nutshell.

They have spent 6 of the last 8 years in the third and hired and fired managers for fun ,they don't know who owns the club 

But they have hit on a good manager 

Take him out of the equation and they will be back where they came from 

2 minutes ago, the monk said:

They have spent 6 of the last 8 years in the third and hired and fired managers for fun ,they don't know who owns the club 

But they have hit on a good manager 

Take him out of the equation and they will be back where they came from 

Exactly. 

I think stumbling upon Wilder has papered over a lot of the cracks at United. 

Is McCabe a good owner? Not really. They were in the Prem not so long ago, yet under his stewardship, they plummeted to League One and spent several years there. 

He also sold 50 percent of the club to a man who he is now involved in a bitter lawsuit with. 

Hardly greatly ownership, is it? 

Edited by SiJ

3 minutes ago, shireowl said:

Really really Jesus you carry on deluding yourself fella if the pen had gone in we would probably have collapsed like a pack of cards ,

we got out of jail last night yes we defended well but if that’s how we are going to set up to survive this season god help us .

Yeh really,not my fault that melts like you think because "if,maybe,perhaps" had happened "we'd" have done "a" thru to "c",they couldn't hit the cows @ss with all their banjo's last night fella,thats them being cack,not us being lucky.

9 minutes ago, shireowl said:

Yeah...but they didn't and created the sweet sum of f all afterward. 

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

And that's what's more important than the result.

We are being taken backwards, and downwards. It's death by a thousand cuts.

Gobsmacked some of our fanbase still can't see it, and continue to make excuses.

I think people are that relieved we didn't get hammered that they are temporarily turning a blind eye to how  Bad  the club is on a whole. Jos has to go hopefully today.