The City Is Theirs

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Just now, sheriwozgod said:

As i have just said not even close.........watch the tapes , our performance last night compared to the pigs at Wembley

Hold on a minute,are you really,i mean really saying that the semi in 93 wasn't as one sided as last night,don't give me the posession stats either,i'm talkin from first whistle to last,chances created and missed,we absolutely dominated that game..............................think you are the only wednesday fan since that match to not hink we did.

There were positives and negatives from last night.

The positives were the first clean sheet, and backs-to-the-wall performance - well done.

The negatives reinforced the poor direction the team, performances and results have been going for a while.

For the remainder of this season, I think Jos' post match interview gave it away, we're not top six, and we need to get back to the position in terms of playing before this recent slump. 

We're not a pretty team to watch - scrappy, slow and indecisive but we have some players hopefully coming back into the team so our options may change this somewhat, providing the manager agrees.

If we survive relegation, I think the season will be written off and filed away, and  we can hopefully see the real future for 2019/20 onwards.

Just now, DELUDED OWL said:

Hold on a minute,are you really,i mean really saying that the semi in 93 wasn't as one sided as last night,don't give me the posession stats either,i'm talkin from first whistle to last,chances created and missed,we absolutely dominated that game..............................think you are the only wednesday fan since that match to not hink we did.

Yes we absolutely dominated , but i maintain that the pigs played better at Wembley than we did last night.

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

There were positives and negatives from last night.

The positives were the first clean sheet, and backs-to-the-wall performance - well done.

The negatives reinforced the poor direction the team, performances and results have been going for a while.

For the remainder of this season, I think Jos' post match interview gave it away, we're not top six, and we need to get back to the position in terms of playing before this recent slump. 

We're not a pretty team to watch - scrappy, slow and indecisive but we have some players hopefully coming back into the team so our options may change this somewhat, providing the manager agrees.

If we survive relegation, I think the season will be written off and filed away, and  we can hopefully see the real future for 2019/20 onwards.

Most important part of this season for us is the transfer window at the end and what happens then

50 minutes ago, mkowl said:

In the 70's it was like that, Boxing Day changed that. In the early 80's we were the dominant force and indeed rarely played them.

Found the early 90's worse because we were by far the superior squad but they kept beating us. Until the semi final.

But we declined and they have been in the Premier League more recent than us.

So I reckon over my 44 years of watching we are at 50 50 

To an extent that's true, and the OP is hysterical. There are cycles. They are clearly better than us now. This could be the start of a long period of supremacy, but these things can change quickly. Most likely they won't go up. Most likely we won't go down, although we certainly look like relegation candidates. Next season with a different manager and different players things could be a lot better or a lot worse for us.

Having supported since 1977 I reckon we have had the upper hand by about 25:15 seasons. They were better in the late 70s, although by the time I was watching they were in decline. They were then clearly ahead 2000-2012; and then the last two seasons.

I don't agree the balance changed in the 90s. The best day for them relative to us in my lifetime was in May 1990; but that wasn't in the end a shift in the balance of power. They did the double over us in 91-92, but we had much the better season.

What I would say is that you have to go back to the first half of the 1970s to find a time when they were a really good side. At least in my time watching I have seen us being one of the best teams in the country. Sadly, unless the breakaway to a European superleague happens, neither Sheffield club has a hope of becoming a top six club again. 

Just now, billyblack said:

How is a match 25 years ago even relevant

I didnt bring it up mate.......................my original point was that i am 56 years old and that is the most one sided Sheffield derby i have seen in all that time.

Posters have just plucked one of the two best derby performances by us in that time to try and counter it, which is fine..their opinion ,  but i stick by what i have said.

2 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I didnt bring it up mate.......................my original point was that i am 56 years old and that is the most one sided Sheffield derby i have seen in all that time.

Posters have just plucked one of the two best derby performances by us in that time to try and counter it, which is fine..their opinion ,  but i stick by what i have said.

Thats fine mate, just asking, not digging

Just now, sheriwozgod said:

Crikey sheri,folks are saying the 93 game was the most onesided game they'd seen,surely that does at least go someway to counter your view on last night.

4 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

To an extent that's true, and the OP is hysterical. There are cycles. They are clearly better than us now. This could be the start of a long period of supremacy, but these things can change quickly. Most likely they won't go up. Most likely we won't go down, although we certainly look like relegation candidates. Next season with a different manager and different players things could be a lot better or a lot worse for us.

Having supported since 1977 I reckon we have had the upper hand by about 25:15 seasons. They were better in the late 70s, although by the time I was watching they were in decline. They were then clearly ahead 2000-2012; and then the last two seasons.

I don't agree the balance changed in the 90s. The best day for them relative to us in my lifetime was in May 1990; but that wasn't in the end a shift in the balance of power. They did the double over us in 91-92, but we had much the better season.

What I would say is that you have to go back to the first half of the 1970s to find a time when they were a really good side. At least in my time watching I have seen us being one of the best teams in the country. Sadly, unless the breakaway to a European superleague happens, neither Sheffield club has a hope of becoming a top six club again. 

I think this is true - they strike me as a confidence team. They looked done in the second half; seemingly unable to unlock a team who clearly came for a clean sheet. A lot of teams would have watch us last night thinking 'that's the way to get a result' - again not pretty but effective.

Unless they sign a Chris Woods type player in January for £5-10m they could struggle in the second half of the season to actually score enough goals for promotion.

39 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I am 56 years old and that is the most one sided Sheffield derby i have ever seen, and yes, i am including the BDM in that.

I am grateful for the point but how anyone can be happy for us to be so totally outplayed (and to make it worse on live TV) by them next door is beyond me......it was humiliating watching us trying to string 3 passes together.

Actually it reminded me of the semi final in terms of one sidedness. That was even at 90 mins. And there was a league draw at Bramall Lane about the same time: we thumped them 1-1 (iirc). 

It it wasn't humiliating last night. The players put in a spirited performance. Bannan and Reach were disappointing, which is why we didn't get going forward, but Fletcher and the defence were excellent. Proud of them after all the doom and gloom and zero expectations of last week. They fought for the shirt. They fought for the fans. 

What irks me, and keeps me away from Owlstalk and elsewhere, is the glee with which some posters criticise. It fair enough to acknowledge that we were seriously second best, and to discuss the serious issues at the club, but the joy and enthusiasm with which some posters do it is embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I am 56 years old and that is the most one sided Sheffield derby i have ever seen, and yes, i am including the BDM in that.

I am grateful for the point but how anyone can be happy for us to be so totally outplayed (and to make it worse on live TV) by them next door is beyond me......it was humiliating watching us trying to string 3 passes together.

This has been our major problem, definitely this season, up until giving teams early Christmas presents.

The thing is, if you look back to the fantastic pass and move football under Carlos in that first season, the only player we've got

regularly playing from both eras is Bannan.

Wallace, Lee, Hunt, Hooper, Pudil (now no longer LB) and Forestieri were all integral to that and all very comfortable on the ball. 

We've no pacey outlet so it's a case of using a target man to hold the ball up - which definitely isn't working at the moment.

Yet, some people want Jurassic Mick to come back!!!

We needed to have that game, of being defensively stubborn, to get the last few games out of the system.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Crikey sheri,folks are saying the 93 game was the most onesided game they'd seen,surely that does at least go someway to counter your view on last night.

Yeah as i said , that`s your opinion which is fine.......i just disagree , i think that`s still allowed isnt it amidst all the hysteria    lol

53 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I am gutted

I'm gutted that so called fans like yourself are actually letting this idiot off the hook week after week after week...

You don't care about the future of our club, nor Big D. You just care about silly point scoring on Owlstalk.

Our clubs going down the bottom - and being taken there by 2 people who are both as stubborn as each other - and all you guys want to do is take the wee wee out of people who not only point it out - but get really annoyed about it. I'm really annoyed about it.

I was there. Were you? Or Big D? If you were I'd like to think you were as embarrassed at the gutless performance as everybody I was stood with.

Are you sure?

1 hour ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

6 years in the wilderness while we were streets ahead, playing in Play Off semis and finals, signing players we had dreamed about

Now Jos has us going away to their place - with 13 league places separating us - playing 6 defenders and going for a 0-0 with just 25% possession

How we have fallen behind United.

Jos Luhukays and Dejphon Chansiris Sheffield Wednesday. Makes you proud

Very true! It’s shameful, disgraceful and embarrassing. I can’t think of a manager I’ve disliked more than this guy.