January

30 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

I'd like to value Reach at around £12m-15m in todays markets, fessi around £8m-10m. 

If we sold those two, realistically we could keep Bannan and build a future squad around him. He's what really makes us tick and we need to keep him at all costs

Nah I think with reach’s performances this season could easily get £15m for him 

40 minutes ago, Dot said:

We can only get rid of players if someone is prepared to buy them

This is what worries me. Other clubs, more savvy and organised than we are, will know exactly how desparate we are and either (a) wait for players to be out of contract or (b) offer just enough knowing we need to accept it as we're in such a predicament. I wouldn't expect any club to offer what we think is a fair price and certainly not a high valuation for players that are part of a first team that are dropping down the league or players that aren't holding down a first team spot regularly due to injuries, etc.

56 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

We came out of the embargo out of the blue. There were whispers of new ownership, so maybe DC sold some of his ownership to a friend. 

I guess January will reveal all. 

New ownership doesn't change the situation as far as FFP is concerned. The owner can put in £39m over 3 years, who the owner is doesn't matter.

2 minutes ago, unkastav said:

If only carlos hadnt bottled uddersfield:carlosswfc:

We lost on pens, after scoring an own goal to equalise for them.  We were cruising after a Fletchers goal. 

A bit of luck didn’t go our way.

Compare to now, where we ship in goals for fun, the players don’t know what’s happening from one week to the next, and fans arguing with the chairman (and vice versa)  

My point is if we’d gone for that second goal who knows where we’d be now.... 

maybe reading would have done us... doubt it... then we’d be flush whether still up or back down. Not comparing current state of bonkers

8 hours ago, prowl said:

New ownership doesn't change the situation as far as FFP is concerned. The owner can put in £39m over 3 years, who the owner is doesn't matter.

it is no longer FFP.

But for example if you sell your 20% stake and then put that money back into the club. It could help balance the books. That is, if this sort of thing is allowed which I expect it is because Hull got taken over recently. 

32 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

it is no longer FFP.

But for example if you sell your 20% stake and then put that money back into the club. It could help balance the books. That is, if this sort of thing is allowed which I expect it is because Hull got taken over recently. 

I know it's not FFP. FFP is used as a shorthand for 'Profitability and Sustainability Regulations' on Owlstalk because everyone knows what FFP means, PSR is not as recognisable.

Sorry but it doesn't work that way. It would allow any owner to drive a coach and horses through the regulations. Invest £39M then when you are up to the limit sell out to a relative, he invests £39M, sell to another relative etc etc. In the end the original owner then buys the club back.

28 minutes ago, prowl said:

I know it's not FFP. FFP is used as a shorthand for 'Profitability and Sustainability Regulations' on Owlstalk because everyone knows what FFP means, PSR is not as recognisable.

Sorry but it doesn't work that way. It would allow any owner to drive a coach and horses through the regulations. Invest £39M then when you are up to the limit sell out to a relative, he invests £39M, sell to another relative etc etc. In the end the original owner then buys the club back.

You are wrong.

Because if a new owner wants to buy a club, what you are saying is........if a club is over the PSR threshold at the time of purchase. He or She cannot invest any money in the club. Nonsense! If a club is taken over or bought into then that money can go towards wiping the debt / balance the books. The PSR rules are to keep clubs afloat, not destroy them. 

Otherwise Hull would be down and out by now. They not long had a take over or they risked administration. No embargo on them!

Edited by CF83OWL

28 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

You are wrong.

Because if a new owner wants to buy a club, what you are saying is........if a club is over the PSR threshold at the time of purchase. He or She cannot invest any money in the club. Nonsense! If a club is taken over or bought into then that money can go towards wiping the debt / balance the books. The PSR rules are to keep clubs afloat, not destroy them. 

Otherwise Hull would be down and out by now. They not long had a take over or they risked administration. No embargo on them!

When Milan sold the club to DC the money was paid to Milan not to Sheffield Wednesday. If the money went to the club DC would effectively be paying for the club and then owning the money he paid.

Once DC paid Milan he owned the club, he then invested money in the club. If a club is up against FFR limits a new owner can buy the club but the club is still bound by FFP rules and the new owner can't invest in new players until the club is back within FFP limits.

There are some things the owner can invest in like training facilities because these are outside FFP regulations.

19 minutes ago, prowl said:

When Milan sold the club to DC the money was paid to Milan not to Sheffield Wednesday. If the money went to the club DC would effectively be paying for the club and then owning the money he paid.

Once DC paid Milan he owned the club, he then invested money in the club. If a club is up against FFR limits a new owner can buy the club but the club is still bound by FFP rules and the new owner can't invest in new players until the club is back within FFP limits.

There are some things the owner can invest in like training facilities because these are outside FFP regulations.

Dude....you are talking out of your rear end.

If i want to buy a business or a football club who are financially unbalanced.....the EFL are not gonna put off investors coming in by slapping a team with a 12 pts deduction or binding them to FFP / PSR from day zero and punishing them for previous owners. 

If that were the case then no new investor would risk coming in to buy a football club anymore. 

Once new owners come in, buy shares and say...... I here by invest £10m. It balances the books. 

Maybe you should look up the Hull City and their talk of January investment with the new owners. Currently Hull are up for sale because they are in trouble.....but in January they seek new players. 

Edited by CF83OWL

Depends, come January, on current form, we will probably be in the bottom three. If we get rid of our better players, we’ll likely stay in the bottom three. Do we just accept likely relegation, and cash in, because we may not achieve the same prices as a third tier club? I’m hoping we take action before January, and get someone in, who can get the best out of these players.

I feel we either need to commit to the youth is the future plan. Or try and get results for this season, which means playing our best experienced players. At the moment we are trying to straddle the two and it’s not working.

Chansiri has made this problem by charging fans top 6 prices, but he can’t deliver the product and it’s now over priced.

One solution would have been to appoint a young british manager, start selling the high value players, play the youngsters in the team more. Maybe we get relegated but effectively start preparing for the future, with a better finicial situation. The trouble is that fans won’t be happy with this as we are still paying high ticket prices.  So if Chansiri doesn’t want to lower them, then the likes of Westwood, Hutch, Boyd, Jones should be more involved in the first team. And players like Reach and Bannan shouldn’t be sold 

Edited by Southie_Owl

Could well be a big month. 

In an ideal world this would happen;

Sell;

Reach £12milllion

Nuhui £2million

Jones Free

Boyd Free

Abdi Free

Dawson out on loan to rebuild his confidence. 

Sign a couple of Loans to get us through the season.

Anounce new lower season ticket prices. Get the fans back on side. 

New manager in place that plays a high press, high tempo style. A style that the crowd will always back. 

Hopefully that then leaves us room to buy a few key players in the summer and rebuild. 

But then again it’s not football manager is it.

57 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

Dude....you are talking out of your rear end.

If i want to buy a business or a football club who are financially unbalanced.....the EFL are not gonna put off investors coming in by slapping a team with a 12 pts deduction or binding them to FFP / PSR from day zero and punishing them for previous owners. 

If that were the case then no new investor would risk coming in to buy a football club anymore. 

Once new owners come in, buy shares and say...... I here by invest £10m. It balances the books. 

Maybe you should look up the Hull City and their talk of January investment with the new owners. Currently Hull are up for sale because they are in trouble.....but in January they seek new players. 

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.  

18 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I feel we either need to commit to the youth is the future plan. Or try and get results for this season, which means playing our best experienced players. At the moment we are trying to straddle the two and it’s not working.

Chansiri has made this problem by charging fans top 6 prices, but he can’t deliver the product and it’s now over priced.

One solution would have been to appoint a young british manager, start selling the high value players, play the youngsters in the team more. Maybe we get relegated but effectively start preparing for the future, with a better finicial situation. The trouble is that fans won’t be happy with this as we are still paying high ticket prices.  So if Chansiri doesn’t want to lower them, then the likes of Westwood, Hutch, Boyd, Jones should be more involved in the first team. And players like Reach and Bannan shouldn’t be sold 

The youth set up is my greatest concern, and whatever mistakes we believe DC has made, creating a credible academy in such a short space of time, is a huge achievement. For all those accusing him of no longer term thinking, take a look at the way the academy is performing.

However, it’s all about getting the blend right. Were we just to commit to the youth, we’d soon be in big trouble. Sometimes I think Jos has already gone too far with this, promoting too many players at once, some before they are ready. There is plenty of scope to blend the youngsters with our better, more experienced players. As long as there is a pathway for the youngsters, and quite frankly, that’s not been the case, with too many senior players signed purely as back up. The way forward is to invest in quality, not quantity. Any players signed, should be signed with a view to enhancing the starting eleven, not stockpiling 2 or 3 average players for each position. On the other hand, it’s unrealistic to imagine we can have a starting eleven packed with home grown talent. Yes we’d all like that, but it won’t happen. How many successful teams, or any sides for that matter, have more than a smattering of players who have come up through their youth systems? It has to be about balance for me, but if we can get 3 or 4 of these youngsters holding down a place, and the same amount challenging, we will have done well. 

We do need to support the youngsters though It’s no good criticising the likes of Penney for losing the ball when taking players on He needs to be encouraged to keep trying to do that. It’s also important that we try and keep our better players, as our own youngsters will only benefit from playing with the likes of Bannan, Reach and Forestieri. Those senior players though, need to be encouraged to play a more creative game, something that isn’t happening under Jos. Under a more forward thinking coach, we could be up there challenging, but I’m afraid Jos is far too conservative to let that happen