The goalkeeping situation

1 hour ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Wildsmith has been the better keeper of the two since they both emerged. 

That's not what people we're saying towards the end of last season.

As many others have said, there's only so much Dawson can do with a leaky defence. Swapping him for Wildsmith won't change that. probably better to persist with him, coach him, and try and make him a better all round keeper.

2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

This isn't a 'get Westwood back in' thread, because it's clearly not going to happen under this manager, and I suspect he'll now be some way off match fitness anyway.

Are we in a position now though where Wildsmith should be getting his chance?

We are obviously going to persist with playing the ball out from the back, but I'm yet to see Dawson pick out a decent pass to a midfielder or forward where he cuts out the opposition's pressing forwards.

I can't see that Dawson has the ability to hit a flatter goal kick to start a counter attack. I'm also unconvinced by his ability to bowl the ball out, yet his distribution  is supposedly the reason  he's been preferred.

I appreciate Dawson hasn't dropped any huge clanger and has apparently made more saves than any other keeper in the division (I'm guessing mainly because he's faced way more shots on target). Unfortunately however the confidence of the defence is at an all time low, and a change may be required to alter the psyche.

Time for Wildsmith for me.

The constant banging on about Dawson having made the most saves in the division proves how deluded some of our fans are. Whilst it says nothing bad about Dawson it certainly says a lot about where we stand as a team. Yet it’s spin doctored into a positive.

2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

This isn't a 'get Westwood back in' thread, because it's clearly not going to happen under this manager, and I suspect he'll now be some way off match fitness anyway.

Are we in a position now though where Wildsmith should be getting his chance?

We are obviously going to persist with playing the ball out from the back, but I'm yet to see Dawson pick out a decent pass to a midfielder or forward where he cuts out the opposition's pressing forwards.

I can't see that Dawson has the ability to hit a flatter goal kick to start a counter attack. I'm also unconvinced by his ability to bowl the ball out, yet his distribution  is supposedly the reason  he's been preferred.

I appreciate Dawson hasn't dropped any huge clanger and has apparently made more saves than any other keeper in the division (I'm guessing mainly because he's faced way more shots on target). Unfortunately however the confidence of the defence is at an all time low, and a change may be required to alter the psyche.

Time for Wildsmith for me.

Dawson: no clangers and average distribution.

Wildsmith: track record of clangers and awful distribution

Yeah, that’s the solution.

2 hours ago, CF83OWL said:

Some fans just dont get it do they......

1. Westwood will never play for us again. 

2. Dawson is number one all season because Jos said so. 

The only way Wildsmith will play is if Jos leaves. 

End of thread. 

Go and have a nice cuppa. 

47 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

The constant banging on about Dawson having made the most saves in the division proves how deluded some of our fans are. Whilst it says nothing bad about Dawson it certainly says a lot about where we stand as a team. Yet it’s spin doctored into a positive.

It shows that the fault in our team lies in the defenders, and not Dawson.

31 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

It shows that the fault in our team lies in the defenders, and not Dawson.

I said no fault with Dawson however it’s not the solely the defences responsibility to defend. The real issue is however Dross’ tactical decision to sit back and invite teams onto us.

4 hours ago, CF83OWL said:

Some fans just dont get it do they......

1. Westwood will never play for us again. 

2. Dawson is number one all season because Jos said so. 

The only way Wildsmith will play is if Jos leaves. 

End of thread. 

you forgot number 3) jos will crack as more sh*t hits the fan, and it's looking more likely to hit the fan, than it is to miss it.

a poor out of it's depth side will pull results out now and again, but eventually with increasing numbers of defeats will come yet more defeats as confidence erodes and any belief is lost. i'm not sure in the last couple of games that we haven't just started to turn that corner.

5 hours ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Wildsmith has been the better keeper of the two since they both emerged. Why Dawson has not been dropped to give him a chance I have no idea. Given the fact that everyone else Dawson has been dropped at some point and he hasn’t just sums up he management skills of Jos!

Posts like this make me think 'WOW' and baffles me.

Wildsmith has made NUMEROUS errors since he came into the side and has cost us games, no doubt.

Dawson came in for cup games and the last few league games and looked solid and deservedly got the No1 shirt.

Obviously we haven't kept a clean sheet but I fail to see how it can be levelled at Dawson, it's clear to anyone watching that the defending in front of him has been poor. Dawson has kept goal well and saved us from bigger defeats at times.

Just now, mark77 said:

Posts like this make me think 'WOW' and baffles me.

Wildsmith has made NUMEROUS errors since he came into the side and has cost us games, no doubt.

Dawson came in for cup games and the last few league games and looked solid and deservedly got the No1 shirt.

Obviously we haven't kept a clean sheet but I fail to see how it can be levelled at Dawson, it's clear to anyone watching that the defending in front of him has been poor. Dawson has kept goal well and saved us from bigger defeats at times.

Dawson is nowhere near as good as Wildsmith. Any goalkeeper that fails to command a 6 yard box may as well give up. His decision making and judgement for crosses etc is just about the worst I have seen from any Wednesday goalkeeper since 1988. He has a lot to learn. Frustrating that he’s keeping our Wildsmith and Westwood (the latter is only financial related as no sane manager would ever put Dawson ahead of Westwood).

1 minute ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Dawson is nowhere near as good as Wildsmith. Any goalkeeper that fails to command a 6 yard box may as well give up. His decision making and judgement for crosses etc is just about the worst I have seen from any Wednesday goalkeeper since 1988. He has a lot to learn. Frustrating that he’s keeping our Wildsmith and Westwood (the latter is only financial related as no sane manager would ever put Dawson ahead of Westwood).

Have you seen Wildsmith keep goal???

46 minutes ago, mark77 said:

Have you seen Wildsmith keep goal???

Yeh and 30 other keepers for us before him including Tidman. Everyone of them able to command a box better than him. 

Dawson’s strength is shot stopping but unfortunately that’s not going well either. Don’t get me started on his distribution !!!

Overall Wildsmith is a better keeper.

I’m not blaming him for what is happening - the rest of the team aren’t exactly pulling up any trees but if Jos the dros is going to change an entire back line then surely that has to include the goalkeeper!!!

Edited by WayneTheOwl