The goalkeeping situation

13 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

This isn't a 'get Westwood back in' thread, because it's clearly not going to happen under this manager, and I suspect he'll now be some way off match fitness anyway.

Are we in a position now though where Wildsmith should be getting his chance?

We are obviously going to persist with playing the ball out from the back, but I'm yet to see Dawson pick out a decent pass to a midfielder or forward where he cuts out the opposition's pressing forwards.

I can't see that Dawson has the ability to hit a flatter goal kick to start a counter attack. I'm also unconvinced by his ability to bowl the ball out, yet his distribution  is supposedly the reason  he's been preferred.

I appreciate Dawson hasn't dropped any huge clanger and has apparently made more saves than any other keeper in the division (I'm guessing mainly because he's faced way more shots on target). Unfortunately however the confidence of the defence is at an all time low, and a change may be required to alter the psyche.

Time for Wildsmith for me.

He got an assist at bristol if that counts as a decent pass. 

I no what u mean though but wildsmith made plenty of mistakes lady season. More them Dawson is making. Clean sheets don't always tell the full story. Dawson has a lot to learn but I think all round he's better then wildsmith. 

But also agree that he should get a chance. He talks to defence a lot more so that could help. Suppose it's worth a try but would feel for Dawson as most goals not much he could have done. 

We shall see. 

A lot of people seem to be missing the point.

Has Dawson committed any major errors? No. He’s actually done pretty well.

Theres no denying he’s been jittery in quite a few games and you can’t underestimate the impact that has on the players infront. I perceive a lack of trust in the keeper.

Very obvious case in point. Long free kick comes in. The ball will run through to the keeper...Lees chooses to head it back into the middle of the pitch. No major issues, right? Wrong.

Either:

1. Lees doesn’t get a call from Dawson (or a call too late) so he clears the ball and we concede possession

2. Lees does get a call but he chooses to clear the ball - suggesting a lack of trust - and we concede possession.

This particularly case didn’t cause a major issue, but over a 90-minute game you can see how it can become a major problem if 100% trust doesn’t exist.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

A lot of people seem to be missing the point.

Has Dawson committed any major errors? No. He’s actually done pretty well.

Theres no denying he’s been jittery in quite a few games and you can’t underestimate the impact that has on the players infront. I perceive a lack of trust in the keeper.

Very obvious case in point. Long free kick comes in. The ball will run through to the keeper...Lees chooses to head it back into the middle of the pitch. No major issues, right? Wrong.

Either:

1. Lees doesn’t get a call from Dawson (or a call too late) so he clears the ball and we concede possession

2. Lees does get a call but he chooses to clear the ball - suggesting a lack of trust - and we concede possession.

This particularly case didn’t cause a major issue, but over a 90-minute game you can see how it can become a major problem if 100% trust doesn’t exist.

What makes you think that trust is just a 1 way thing

if I was Dawson I'd not be too happy trusting Lees with the ball at his feet when told to pass it out short to him!

Here’s a fact for you. 

The Only constant in our back line this season has been Dawson. 

No clean sheets. 

We have dropped everyone but the flappy goal keeper. 

Clearly put back 3/4/5 are struggling, maybe the lack of faith they have in Dawson is part of the reason for that. 

2 minutes ago, BD2OWL said:

Here’s a fact for you. 

No clean sheets. 

Clearly put back 3/4/5 are struggling, maybe the lack of faith they have in Dawson is part of the reason for that. 

Total moron.

18 minutes ago, BD2OWL said:

Here’s a fact for you. 

No clean sheets. 

the only consistent player in our defence as been the goalkeeper which is amazing when you think that he as to play behind such an inconsistent back 3/4/5.......it's fecking insane to blame the bloke who's been blameless for the shortcomings of the incompetents in front of him .......

• Like 1

The defence and defending as a team is far bigger concern than the goalkeeping situation. Also how poor, slow and weak, we are with and without the ball, we bring teams onto us. Tippy tapping it around in our own half whilst isolating our attacking players. Plus we don't look like scoring or get enough support around the strikers, other than long pot shots and wonder goals from outside the box and we look like conceding at least a couple every game because we're unbalanced as a team. Considering all those issues goalkeeper is the least of our worries at present.

Maybe it could be down to the coaching this year. I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up yet in all these threads that we keep getting

Rhodes was very well thought of in the goalkeeping coach ranks. Ive never seen any other goalkeeper coach have a five minute slot before a live game

Edited by MBMitchell

"But he doesn't command his area" is the most annoying cliche of all with Dawson. I've heard it so many times, but it doesn't actually make any sense. 

Perhaps he isn't as vocal as Westwood, screaming and shouting at his defenders, but when the captain in playing at centre-back, he shouldn't need to. 

Every back five needs a barking dog to keep it organised, handing out rollockings every time someone puts a foot wrong. Sometimes that's the keeper, sometimes it's the centre-back. Westwood did it well. Loovens did it well. Given the experience in the defense, this responsibility HAS to belong to Tom Lees as captain, not Dawson playing his first season as a senior pro.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CraigSGM said:

"But he doesn't command his area" is the most annoying cliche of all with Dawson. I've heard it so many times, but it doesn't actually make any sense. 

Perhaps he isn't as vocal as Westwood, screaming and shouting at his defenders, but when the captain in playing at centre-back, he shouldn't need to. 

Every back five needs a barking dog to keep it organised, handing out rollockings every time someone puts a foot wrong. Sometimes that's the keeper, sometimes it's the centre-back. Westwood did it well. Loovens did it well. Given the experience in the defense, this responsibility HAS to belong to Tom Lees as captain, not Dawson playing his first season as a senior pro.  

Unfortunately, the 'commanding his area' thread doesn't work. As a young lad playing among older pros he can hardly start kicking them out of his way in the way a real Keeper should.. To me, the goal area commander should be the GK and the penalty area the Centre Back.

As for his distribution, Dawson is falling foul of a Wednesday trick that has gone on for YEARS, with various Keepers.He  can often be seen attempting to roll the ball forward quickly, only to find the backs , and midfielders strolling up the field , oblivious to the chance of a quick short ball played out from the back. This was often the case with Westwood, when, having made a save or such, he found himself having o kick long because no-one had bothered to move out. The same applies to the forwards . Our players are not mobile enough, and far too slow to react. This is not a new thing but something which has dogged Wednesday for years. We seem unable to turn or thinking of defence into attack, and vice versa, with enough speed Maybe some time spent on the training ground with the attackers defending against the defenders would alter this thinking of 'I'm a defender' or 'I'm an attacker' into 'I'm a footballer'.

8 minutes ago, mark77 said:

There is no goalkeeper situation after what I have just witnessed in the U23 game. Wildsmith has just made 3 of his usual errors in one game. 

One team had an experience keeper in goal with years of experience the other had a kid in who has barely played a game in nearly 3 months of the season.

Can you guess which team was which.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

One team had an experience keeper in goal with years of experience the other had a kid in who has barely played a game in nearly 3 months of the season.

Can you guess which team was which.

Burnley keeper has played 0 games this season and 15 first team games in 4 years. Made plenty of good saves and didn't drop any howlers. 

Wildsmith has dropped clangers last season, it seems people have somehow erased them.

Haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned, but apparently Dawson has made more saves than anyone in the Championship.

That combined with the fact we are the only team not to have kept a clean sheet shows just how horrendous our back line has been.

:duntmatter: