The goalkeeping situation

This isn't a 'get Westwood back in' thread, because it's clearly not going to happen under this manager, and I suspect he'll now be some way off match fitness anyway.

Are we in a position now though where Wildsmith should be getting his chance?

We are obviously going to persist with playing the ball out from the back, but I'm yet to see Dawson pick out a decent pass to a midfielder or forward where he cuts out the opposition's pressing forwards.

I can't see that Dawson has the ability to hit a flatter goal kick to start a counter attack. I'm also unconvinced by his ability to bowl the ball out, yet his distribution  is supposedly the reason  he's been preferred.

I appreciate Dawson hasn't dropped any huge clanger and has apparently made more saves than any other keeper in the division (I'm guessing mainly because he's faced way more shots on target). Unfortunately however the confidence of the defence is at an all time low, and a change may be required to alter the psyche.

Time for Wildsmith for me.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

Wildsmith has been the better keeper of the two since they both emerged. Why Dawson has not been dropped to give him a chance I have no idea. Given the fact that everyone else Dawson has been dropped at some point and he hasn’t just sums up he management skills of Jos!

Something has to change. How can we be nearly in November without a clean sheet. Granted a lot of the goals haven't been his fault but I think a bit of that could be down to poor communication and a command of the area.  Before the season started I thought he was our 3rd choice, nothing I have seen since has made me think otherwise

Dawson is the least of the worries and im not sure what dropping him would prove. The defence and midfield would still be the same. 

We have strikers that cant hold the ball up, we have a powder puff central midfield and we have defenders that cant defend. All of this needs sorting before we drop the keeper. 

We could put David De Gea in the net at the minute and we would still concede the same amount. 

I wouldn't specifically blame Dawson for any but perhaps a couple of the goals he's conceded this season but this lack of a clean sheet has become a monkey on his back now. Jos seems to have tried every possible permutation of defenders but never the keeper, he needs to consider the influence that the keeper has on the defence, if they don't trust him it affects everybody (there was one instance yesterday when a ball came in that should have easily been the keeper's but Lees elected to needlessly head it away rather than leave it). 

Obviously playing Westwood would be the logical option but we all know his absence isn't for footballing reasons. Therefore it's time to give Wildsmith a chance now, must be a kick in the teeth for him to see his rival concede goal after goal but remain seemingly undroppable.  

• Like 1

I think that Dawson has had far too much stick for his performances this season. I can't think of any goals conceded which were absolute howlers. Contrast that to some of the schoolboy errors in front of him of players passing to opponents on the edge of the box, fancy showboat flicks blindly done intercepted by an opposing player, players trapping balls further than I can kick it and the failure to stop crosses into the box. Maybe a change in keeper might be positive for the team as others have been rested but to place the blame for our results at Dawson's feet is totally unfair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

Some fans just dont get it do they......

1. Westwood will never play for us again. 

2. Dawson is number one all season because Jos said so. 

The only way Wildsmith will play is if Jos leaves. 

End of thread. 

Some fans can't read either.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I wouldn't specifically blame Dawson for any but perhaps a couple of the goals he's conceded this season but this lack of a clean sheet has become a monkey on his back now. Jos seems to have tried every possible permutation of defenders but never the keeper, he needs to consider the influence that the keeper has on the defence, if they don't trust him it affects everybody (there was one instance yesterday when a ball came in that should have easily been the keeper's but Lees elected to needlessly head it away rather than leave it). 

Obviously playing Westwood would be the logical option but we all know his absence isn't for footballing reasons. Therefore it's time to give Wildsmith a chance now, must be a kick in the teeth for him to see his rival concede goal after goal but remain seemingly undroppable.  

Say Wildsmith gets the nod, if all the errors by the 10 other players on the pitch continue the situation stays the same. Wildsmith then becomes the scapegoat and fans continue calling for westwood. 

Wildsmith did remarkably well for a keeper his age last season, some wonderful saves which undoubtedly won us points & some howlers which became more frequent towards the end of his spell in the side, plus his command of the area was poor.

When Dawson came in at the end of the season I thought he looked more assured & commanded his area better than Wildsmith.   I felt he was the better of the two with the proviso that it would be best to judge after a run of matches & see how he reacts to making mistakes & a run of negative results.

While there may be one or two goals he's conceded where he should have done better there hasn't been any howlers that have resulted in goals.  

However it's clear that his command of his area is currently no better than Wildsmith's & while he perhaps hasn't made the number of howlers that Wildsmith made he also doesn't seem to make the wonderful match winning saves that Wildsmith did.  What we can't tell from the stands is how Dawson & Wildsmith perform in terms of communication with their teammates.

It's a difficult one for Jos but the time to give Dawson a rest must be edging closer.

57 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Wildsmith has been the better keeper of the two since they both emerged. Why Dawson has not been dropped to give him a chance I have no idea. Given the fact that everyone else Dawson has been dropped at some point and he hasn’t just sums up he management skills of Jos!

Last season when Westwood was injured Wildsmith was preferred to Dawson.

In spite of a few howlers where he was definitely at fault, rather than the defence in front of him, Wildsmith kept his place through to near the end of the season. Roles have been reversed this season and although more goals have been conceded I haven’t seen any absolute howlers from Dawson. This is probably what is influencing Jos in his choice of keeper.

Surely though with almost every other position being rotated, an occasional switch of keeper would help to keep both on their toes. Any other course of action risks losing the services of a second keeper, Westwood already sidelined.

Edited by Blatter
Accuracy

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

I don’t think Westwood’s omission is anything to do with Jos, he’d been outcast before Jos arrived 

Correct. You need to point the finger at the owner for the Westwood situation.