How many are out injured now?

I don't think this is anywhere near as bad as last season, at least 5 of those haven't come back from being injured last season so we can't use them in a new crock list.

The only new injuries on that list are FF, Van Aken, Matias, Fox and Baker. I'd say 3 of those aren't 1st choice anyway so really, this season we have crucial injuries to 2 players that have featured or are likely to feature in team that has got to 6th in the table.

We've got much more depth in our squad as well now so can't help feel we are looking for things to panic about.

Most other clubs will have picked up a few injuries this season, as have we.

1 minute ago, Mystic Neg said:

I don't think this is anywhere near as bad as last season, at least 5 of those haven't come back from being injured last season so we can't use them in a new crock list.

The only new injuries on that list are FF, Van Aken, Matias, Fox and Baker. I'd say 3 of those aren't 1st choice anyway so really, this season we have crucial injuries to 2 players that have featured or are likely to feature in team that has got to 6th in the table.

We've got much more depth in our squad as well now so can't help feel we are looking for things to panic about.

Most other clubs will have picked up a few injuries this season, as have we.

Add to those 5 Fletcher, Joao and Palmer who have been out for more than 2 weeks this season and it's a pretty big list when we are only in October!

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Are they all just crocks or is something a miss ??

Training ground ? Physios something cant be quite right can it ?

Ps Is Hooper actually done I haven't heard a update

One of our previous managers -- cant remember which -- questioned the quality of the middlewood training ground pitches, and suggested it could be the cause of our recent injury problems.

1 hour ago, sw1867 said:

Baker got a slight ankle knock playing for Wales U21’s but nothing serious. He didn’t play in the second game for as more of a precaution.

Incidently, Baker played in midfield and played very well.

Seems to be his regular position with them now. Like an inverse Liam Palmer

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Just goes to show, it wasn’t right to blame Carlos for last season’s injuries, anymore than it is right to blame Jos now Injuries happen

Trouble is, when a man inherits injured players that may or may not been have mistreated either way, they still don't get a clean slate with all player injuries reset at point of appointment.

Having a fitter squad, less prone to injury will take more than 10 months to generate.

A sign telling me that Jos is looking at this is that generally our players look much sharper and fitter, those that are playing anyway.

2 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Van Aken - massive whack on ankle no ones fault

K Lee - screwed by CC

Matias - seems to be injury prone.

FF - not sure but may also be prone

Winnall - not back yet - injured by derby, eased back slowly so as not to cripple him again.

Abdi - ? ha-ha - not injured

Hooper - crippled by CC and still recovering.

Fox - fit yet? - played for kids so yes

Hutch - fit yet/ever? - played for kids so nearly.

Baker - not heard that one

Have I missed anyone?- add them to the players apparently not considered for selection KW, Boyd, Jones - I make that 13 1st team players unavailable for 1 reason or another.

What a joke we are in this position again. Imagine if we weren't such a basket case of a club - how good we could actually be, and how well is JL doing considering?

JL is managing the lads so as to not cripple them like under the previous regime.

We have same amount of injured players as other clubs do. It's just other clubs play them and then they break down within weeks.

Doesn't help though that majority of our players get injured very easily.

10 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

JL is managing the lads so as to not cripple them like under the previous regime.

We have same amount of injured players as other clubs do. It's just other clubs play them and then they break down within weeks.

Doesn't help though that majority of our players get injured very easily.

I praised JL's management - but there is still something very wrong with our playing squad. Whether we rest them, play them - whatever, they just keep breaking.

3 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Van Aken was in the training pics this week 

all in all it hasn’t really improved since the Carlos days, so less emphasis on questioning the managers (Carlos and JL) and more on the fact we signed absolute crocks 

Lee and Hooper are 100% CC’s fault, his insistence on them playing when they weren’t fit has cost them dear

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Any substance to this or was it a throwaway comment  by a player in a pre match conference? 

To be fair several players have intimated this in various newspaper interviews.

Then again you can't believe all (anything) you read in newspapers. lol

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

To be fair several players have intimated this in various newspaper interviews.

Then again you can't believe all (anything) you read in newspapers. lol

And owlstalk took it as gospel, so in actual fact there’s little evidence lol 

I'm not suggesting everyone reads this study from cover to cover but a quick peek shows just how professional many clubs are in monitoring injuries over time. It shows how much time and effort is put into study injuries, their rates of occurrence, injury causes and player availability both for training and for competitive matches.One small bit of information which is pertinent here (Section 6 for those interested) is that the average percentage player availability for competitive matches at each club was just under 90% over a 9 month period. Sheffield Wednesday's player availability over the past two years with or without Carlos has been nowhere near that! Here's the link - 

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Medical/02/28/70/88/2287088_DOWNLOAD.pdf

• Thanks 1