Who is out of contract at the end of the season?

On 07/10/2018 at 22:35, Blue and white said:

That's some bloody money saved there on wages.

Roughly £9mil per year. 

Cant see a single one of them being offered a contract.

Shame in some cases. Some brilliant players - Lee and Hooper - but their recent long injury problems rules out a contract. 

Get rid of them all for me apart from pudil and matias only on a year contract extension. I love pudil he is a quality defender and we need the experience at the back for at least another year, he is the only one who has got better for me. Palmer never going to be good enough for me 

Looking at that list of out of contract players - and based on Jos's principles about playing, I can only see Mattias being offered a new contract and maybe Pudil as backup ..

Rest i can see leaving with maybe Hooper and Lee given the opportunity to train with us over the summer to earn a contract - maybe not even that

19 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Looking at that list of out of contract players - and based on Jos's principles about playing, I can only see Mattias being offered a new contract and maybe Pudil as backup ..

Rest i can see leaving with maybe Hooper and Lee given the opportunity to train with us over the summer to earn a contract - maybe not even that

I agree with this.

I would imagine Matias will get one if he stays fit. Penney they will try to tie down I hope we can. Hooper and Lee if they can get back this year wont in my opinion have enough time to justify a new contract with fitness or form. But a full summer training things could change.

I think they will all be released. With the exception of Penny signing a new contract.

Would leave us with

Dawson

Wildsmith

Lees

Thorniley 

Palmer

Baker

Penney

Van Aken

FF

Bannan

Reach

Pelupessy

Kirby

Preston

Fletcher

Nuhiu

Joao

Winnall

Rhodes (Hopefully a sale or another loan fee) 

Plus a few more of the kids coming through.

Gives us a fairly decent starting 11 next season but not much strength in depth if we are back under an embargo, and still depending on injury prone players.

Dawson

Palmer.         Lees.          Thorniley.         Penney 

Pelupessy.         Bannan

Joao.                   FF.                   Reach

Fletcher

Wildsmith

Baker

Van Aken

Kirby

Nuhiu

Winnall

Get through next season then the rolling 3 years for FFP will be back in our favour and we can have another go at it.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2018 at 10:57, TrickyTrev said:

Get rid of the lot of em.

Jones, Boyd and Fox aren’t good enough.

Abdi has been a complete and utter waste of a contract.

Pudil as much as I like him doesn’t fit in with the policy of signing younger players so I’d love to see us replace him with Hector. If FIFA do bring in the new ruling of how many players a club can loan out at any one time I think Chelsea would be open to a sale.

Matias is never fit and Westwood is never going to play.

As for Hooper and Lee, both quality players but they’re no good to us sat in the treatment room picking up what will be decent wages.

Top post tricky, fully agree with every word 

4 hours ago, Box_Man said:

I think they will all be released. With the exception of Penny signing a new contract.

Would leave us with

Dawson

Wildsmith

Lees

Thorniley 

Palmer

Baker

Penney

Van Aken

FF

Bannan

Reach

Pelupessy

Kirby

Preston

Fletcher

Nuhiu

Joao

Winnall

Rhodes (Hopefully a sale or another loan fee) 

Plus a few more of the kids coming through.

Gives us a fairly decent starting 11 next season but not much strength in depth if we are back under an embargo, and still depending on injury prone players.

Dawson

Palmer.         Lees.          Thorniley.         Penney 

Pelupessy.         Bannan

Joao.                   FF.                   Reach

Fletcher

Wildsmith

Baker

Van Aken

Kirby

Nuhiu

Winnall

Get through next season then the rolling 3 years for FFP will be back in our favour and we can have another go at it.

Mate if you release all the out of contract except Penney then thats Palmer gone too.

Pudils legs have gone and he is too injury prone if we get 25 games + out of him we will have done well and he will be on a decent amount being signed from Watford so for me get rid. Only players to sign other than Penney are the ones who play 30+ games between now and the end of the season, Palmer I would give a two year deal good squad player and we have no first team cover in that position currently.

The risk we have though is thinking get rid of all these player save £10m+ and we can start again, Hooper, Pudil, Maias, Jones, Fox, Abdi costs us transfer fees of around £10m, getting players the caliber of Westwood, Lee if not covered from within will not be cheap.

We could have to spend £20m including wages to replace the players we are losing. Then we we get to next Summer Fessi, Fletcher, Rhodes will have 1 year left so resign then or risk losing them for nothing in 2020 and what price would you put on finding another Fessi or do you sell if he won't resign. We are playing a dangerous game leave contract renewals until the last 6-12 months of contracts or not trying to sell players not in the managers plans sooner such as Westwood, Jones, Boyd.

22 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Mate if you release all the out of contract except Penney then thats Palmer gone too.

Pudils legs have gone and he is too injury prone if we get 25 games + out of him we will have done well and he will be on a decent amount being signed from Watford so for me get rid. Only players to sign other than Penney are the ones who play 30+ games between now and the end of the season, Palmer I would give a two year deal good squad player and we have no first team cover in that position currently.

The risk we have though is thinking get rid of all these player save £10m+ and we can start again, Hooper, Pudil, Maias, Jones, Fox, Abdi costs us transfer fees of around £10m, getting players the caliber of Westwood, Lee if not covered from within will not be cheap.

We could have to spend £20m including wages to replace the players we are losing. Then we we get to next Summer Fessi, Fletcher, Rhodes will have 1 year left so resign then or risk losing them for nothing in 2020 and what price would you put on finding another Fessi or do you sell if he won't resign. We are playing a dangerous game leave contract renewals until the last 6-12 months of contracts or not trying to sell players not in the managers plans sooner such as Westwood, Jones, Boyd.

Spending 20 million to replace a bunch of fringe players that were deemed not worthy of a new contract? Eh?

Just because that's what they cost a few years ago has absolutely zero influence on their replacements at the end of their contract. For example, if you think there's even a 1% chance that we'll be spending £4m and 30k per week to find a suitable replacement for Abdi, you've lost the plot.

I think (and desperately hope) that we're beyond the days of paying big money for back up players. 

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Given how the club have been recently with transfers and contracts and i feel Jos is very astute with the particulars, i don't think we'll have a problem with contracts ..

I am extremely interested in seeing what Jos is like in the transfer market though with a big of cash

2 hours ago, CraigSGM said:

Spending 20 million to replace a bunch of fringe players that were deemed not worthy of a new contract? Eh?

Just because that's what they cost a few years ago has absolutely zero influence on their replacements at the end of their contract. For example, if you think there's even a 1% chance that we'll be spending £4m and 30k per week to find a suitable replacement for Abdi, you've lost the plot.

I think (and desperately hope) that we're beyond the days of paying big money for back up players. 

Craig i am not saying that what I am saying is we are hoping all these players leave and we save £10m a season on wages, but some of them if not replaced from within will need replacing, Pudil and Fox go that leaves only Penney at left back and I personally see him further up the pitch as a left wing or wing back but we still need cover in that stop. If Palmer goes we need a new right back as baker is not ready.

Lee does not come back we don't have a box to box midfielder in the team, do we make do or try and sign an Hourahan or some one like that to replace him.

If you get rid of 10 players it leave you squad short and is asking a lot of kids to step up and be consistent.

The figures I quoted what the current going rate for a championship quality  midfielder who scores goals, creates goals and has the engine of a keiren lee.

On 07/10/2018 at 22:20, York_Owl said:

Westwood 

Jones

Abdi

Boyd

Pudil

Lee

Hooper

Matias

Fox

Currently we'd miss none of those! Combined wage? Probably 150k/week minimum. 

All need to significantly improve their fitness and prove their worth or they're all out

Edited by briggowl

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Given how the club have been recently with transfers and contracts and i feel Jos is very astute with the particulars, i don't think we'll have a problem with contracts ..

I am extremely interested in seeing what Jos is like in the transfer market though with a big of cash

Mate Jos has made 3 signing 2 of which go back at the end of the season, I am not sure where you get he astute from from that and based on the way the club is going big money will not be available until we some how manage to get in the premier league.

We will not be able to sign anyone in January unless we get players of the wages bill Westwood, Jones, Boyd seem the obvious departures, then come the summer we will once again be under embargo because based on my working which could be wrong we need to make savings of about £15m on last season losses which will be in the £20m area, we have saved probably about £9m with the Hunt fee, Rhodes Loan and the players that left last season so unless come January we sell someone for a decent fee or we are able to get some of the out of contracts off the wage bill then, we will once again be under embargo.

It will be probably 2020/21 season until we have the losses back under control.

But it is good for the kids becuase over the next 18 months they could really develop saving us millions and if one of them shines we could be getting the sort of money as those at S2 got for Brooks 

2 minutes ago, briggowl said:

Currently we'd miss none of those! Combined wage? Probably 150k/week minimum. 

All need to significantly improve their fitness and prove their worth or they're all out

I agree I just wish Lee could prove his fitness but my heart of heart says we won't see that player he was again. 

11 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Mate Jos has made 3 signing 2 of which go back at the end of the season, I am not sure where you get he astute from from that and based on the way the club is going big money will not be available until we some how manage to get in the premier league.

Sorry, where have i said Jos is astute because of his signings? I'm referring the whole picture - he does his homework in a lot of departments, injuries, professionalism, ability, work rate and as you have alluded to, getting the youngsters playing and playing well may I add .. his only permanent signing, Pelupessy, although not a match winner does an effective job in his role and for what, 500k ... so as i say, it will be interesting to see what Jos is like with a bit of cash to spend ..

Edited by Hack-Abusi