The real reason crowds are down (and its not prices)

Nero

3 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

It’s the biggest reason isn’t it? Personally speaking football has always been expensive for me, I even thought £4.50 was a lot some 35 years ago. If I want to go to a match I pick and choose, I could save for a ST like I used to, but I don’t feel like going to every home match these days, whether form is good or not. There are more pressing matters in life for me at present 

And this is the absolute crux of the matter!

It could be £10 a ticket but if the desire isn’t there and personal priorities dictate otherwise then absolutely fair enough!

I admire your honesty sir!

1 hour ago, casbahowl said:

Indeed it was and the average was 25901 making both of the last two seasons average under the current Chairman the best since 97/98 when we were a Premiership side with Di Canio et al .

The argument that crowds are down is just a big fat lie lol

Normally agree with you on most things but not on this.

I'm not denying that the last 2 seasons are the highest attendances in 20 years  (as stated due to our 1st sniff of success in 20 years).

What I'm (and others I think are) saying is with reasonable pricing the last 2 years average attendances would have been even better (maybe even close to the magical 30k that some people think we wouldn't get in PL).

The worry is the people who have been cast aside won't come back and neither will they be bringing the future generations through.

You state elsewhere the away numbers are the reason our crowds are down this season. Why do you think is?

20 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

I'm not denying that the last 2 seasons are the highest attendances in 20 years  (as stated due to our 1st sniff of success in 20 years).

What I'm (and others I think are) saying is with reasonable pricing the last 2 years average attendances would have been even better (maybe even close to the magical 30k that some people think we wouldn't get in PL).

The worry is the people who have been cast aside won't come back and neither will they be bringing the future generations through.

You state elsewhere the away numbers are the reason our crowds are down this season. Why do you think is?

Absolutely bang on comments and they open another debate entirely!

Are the average home crowds the best in the last 20 years........... unequivocally YES!

Is the Chairman maximising the current potential .......... absolutely not!

31 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

The reason away crowds are down is because they aren't prepared to pay these prices...Leeds are an exception, simply because of the numbers they take away...There might well be 3 or 4 thousand leeds fans that are so p*ssed off by the prices they won't travel...but theres probably twice that amount that will ...and with the capacity set..No f.ooker will notice, cos they will fill the away end.

Wednesday used to travel to Leeds in numbers...They put the prices up and lets be honest, we marched to the moral high ground, slagged 'em to high heaven for it..and didn't bother.

I fail to see why our crowds are the best for 20 yrs...oh yes, best we have been for 20yrs..:rolleyes:

Last season the piggies got more than us and are beating us this season...can't ever remember a time they averaged more than us 2 years on the bounce when both in same league.

Of course they have always been better supported than us................

.....since DC came.

There are various Reasons,

Form contributes a big factor eg the poor start affected crowds v Hull, Millwall etc .

Leeds game on Friday is on sky and a Friday night, make it a 3pm sat or even a early/late kick off I think 27k turns into 28k+ 

price is certainly an issue at £39 cheapest ticket for a non-member fan which isn’t going to really push match day ticket fans to flock to the turnstiles unless we were flying in the league. Thick £30 a ticket in the kop would have been reasonable, anything more than £35 for the cheapest seat seems a bit too expensive 

50 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

I fail to see why our crowds are the best for 20 yrs...oh yes, best we have been for 20yrs..:rolleyes:

Last season the piggies got more than us and are beating us this season...can't ever remember a time they averaged more than us 2 years on the bounce when both in same league.

.....since DC came.

Twist it all you like, you can’t argue with facts re season on season averages , they’re up

......... since DC came!

last season pigs on the crest of a wave after being 3rd division champions with a record 100+ Points haul.

Btw .... pigs last two home crowds 23k and we’re only in September so your statement that they’ve averaged more than us 2 years on the bounce is like the rest of your post .......

completeandutterbollox!

Edited by casbahowl

1 hour ago, sherlyegg said:

.....since DC came.

SU had better average in 2008/09 (26k v 21.5k) and the following season 2009/10 (25k v 23k). Just saying. 

Edited by wilfsmith
addition

My mate and I have been to every away match so far this season..

if you were to ask me how much the away tickets cost ,then I have no idea.. but I guess we are lucky that the cost is irrelevant..

But if my choice was between getting pissed on a Friday night or going away to watch Wednesday..

it would be going away with Wednesday...

UTO

38 minutes ago, wilfsmith said:

SU had better average in 2008/09 (26k v 21.5k) and the following season 2009/10 (25k v 23k). Just saying. 

2008/09 they played more games play-offs and final.

Hence never twice on the trot

Besides

2009/10 We were relegated and a massive flu epidemic at S6 stopped thousands going

33 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

2008/09 they played more games play-offs and final.

Hence never twice on the trot

Besides

2009/10 We were relegated and a massive flu epidemic at S6 stopped thousands going

I guess you're joking with your response but just for accuracy the averages are like for like. They are all calculated over the regular 23 home games each season. It would be an invalid statistical comparison if one were to compare averages which included play off games etc. As for flu that was confined to S6 - that's some special flu bug!

4 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Quite the opposite according to the average attendance figures!! 

Charging more and above inflation price hikes has only sought to increase average attendances, so I guess for every person it deters it attracts an equal or greater volume of new punters.

Going on the threads here I’d have never thought that and stand to be corrected as my only research was Wikipedia - but for us to have a higher average attendance than chansiri years (2 out of 3 at least) you’d need to go back two decades and be in the premier league. 

God I hate the facts! Makes me looks so stupid at times :carlosswfc: