Young Owls

flash

Great to be talking about players coming through our academy after what feels like decades of being starved of any! Hats off to DC for the investment, the staff and JL for taking the gamble on introducing them to the first team! 

Who would you say are best prospects if to order them? I’d probably go with:

1) Penney

2) Thorniley

3) Dawson 

4) Wildsmith 

5) Preston 

6) Baker 

Close call between the first 2. Also I’ve liked the look of Fraser Preston when he plays as he offers pace and looks creative which is why I have him above Baker. Only problem is that he may struggle for game time as we have more players in this position. 

Left a few off there such as C Kirby, J Lee and A Hunt as they’ve not played as much. 

As I say it’s great to see! UTO!

• Like 1

Though I do agree that Penney has made a great start to his career, I wouldn’t put him above Thorniley as a few have on here at all. Thorniley plays like he’s mid 20’s and got 150 games under his belt and looks as though he’ll be a future captain, which is impressive for a 21-year-old. Not a dig at Penney whatsoever as I rate him, just think Thorniley will go on to be a real top defender 

29 minutes ago, flash said:

Great to be talking about players coming through our academy after what feels like decades of being starved of any! Hats off to DC for the investment, the staff and JL for taking the gamble on introducing them to the first team! 

Who would you say are best prospects if to order them? I’d probably go with:

1) Penney

2) Thorniley

3) Dawson 

4) Wildsmith 

5) Preston 

6) Baker 

Close call between the first 2. Also I’ve liked the look of Fraser Preston when he plays as he offers pace and looks creative which is why I have him above Baker. Only problem is that he may struggle for game time as we have more players in this position. 

Left a few off there such as C Kirby, J Lee and A Hunt as they’ve not played as much. 

As I say it’s great to see! UTO!

Good post. It seems Neilson is now out of the picture after playing last season.

In fairness to both keepers I reckon it’s harder for a young keeper than a young outfield player.  As a keeper you are very exposed when it comes to mistakes and both of our young keepers have steeped up great.  It’s very encouraging that we’re having this debate at all after all the fruitless years of bringing  players through the ranks.

Penney, Thorniley and Dawson on evidence so far already have a career in game ahead of them..

Think Wildsmith and Kirby will also have careers in game. Baker sands a chance just needs to keep on developing.

With the likes of Hunt , Lee, Preston they have first rung but need to progress quite a bit (need more games at higher level to bring best out in them, good non league would serve purpose to help strengthen them up). No reason to suggest it can not happen for them just think Championship is tough league and difficult for any player to jump straight in. Penney is an exception. More are like Thorniley who has steadily improved from first game and is now a good player at Championship level. Problem we have is you can only blood so many youngsters at once and we regularly have 3 and 4 in team.

A few who have not played for first team are worth a mention, heard really good reports about all of the following.

Shaw, Grant, Waldock, Hammoud, O'Brien, Dawodu, and Rice. In past Lonchar was rated highly but has not recaptured goal scoring form since being injured he was supposed to be best of the lot. Think I expect Grant or Waldock next to be given a chance.

• Like 2

Guest addedtime
32 minutes ago, Donny El said:

Think you getting them mixed up with handsworth :biggrin:

Certainly not!

Horrible poo coach. "No one remembers second place boys" he said to his 8 yr olds.

1 hour ago, Quist said:

Penney, Thorniley and Dawson on evidence so far already have a career in game ahead of them..

Think Wildsmith and Kirby will also have careers in game. Baker sands a chance just needs to keep on developing.

With the likes of Hunt , Lee, Preston they have first rung but need to progress quite a bit (need more games at higher level to bring best out in them, good non league would serve purpose to help strengthen them up). No reason to suggest it can not happen for them just think Championship is tough league and difficult for any player to jump straight in. Penney is an exception. More are like Thorniley who has steadily improved from first game and is now a good player at Championship level. Problem we have is you can only blood so many youngsters at once and we regularly have 3 and 4 in team.

A few who have not played for first team are worth a mention, heard really good reports about all of the following.

Shaw, Grant, Waldock, Hammoud, O'Brien, Dawodu, and Rice. In past Lonchar was rated highly but has not recaptured goal scoring form since being injured he was supposed to be best of the lot. Think I expect Grant or Waldock next to be given a chance.

Yes they were all raving about Lonchar when he was 15 Seen that a few times over the years, a real stand out youngster at that age, but who, for whatever reason, fails to kick on Not saying Lonchar won’t come good, but there are many changes at that age, that can hinder progress

• Like 1

I’m really excited to see these youngsters get much needed game time, exposure and experience this season and be interesting to see which are ready to take over from those that are out of contract at end of season. 

Westwwod departs, funds both our young keepers on long term deals. 

Pudil departs likely funds Penney and Thornley deals. 

Abdi departs, funding many many more.