Young Owls

flash

6 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I’m really excited to see these youngsters get much needed game time, exposure and experience this season and be interesting to see which are ready to take over from those that are out of contract at end of season. 

Westwwod departs, funds both our young keepers on long term deals. 

Pudil departs likely funds Penney and Thornley deals. 

Abdi departs, funding many many more.  

We need to balance it though, a blend of youth and experience is the way to go. As of today, I feel like Pudil still has a lot to offer 

1) Dawson

2) Penney

3) Thorniley

I’m not convinced yet of the other’s ability to be regular performers at top half Championship level.

Preston looks interesting, would like to see more of him.

Just now, McRightSide said:

We need to balance it though, a blend of youth and experience is the way to go. As of today, I feel like Pudil still has a lot to offer 

1) Dawson

2) Penney

3) Thorniley

I’m not convinced yet of the other’s ability to be regular performers at top half Championship level.

Preston looks interesting, would like to see more of him.

Whilst I agree I was more thinking of a sustainable model in terms of affordability. Having 3/4 youth team players replace 3/4 seasoned pros in squad not only increases energy but probably saves best part of 50k per week. 

18 hours ago, Quist said:

Penney, Thorniley and Dawson on evidence so far already have a career in game ahead of them..

Think Wildsmith and Kirby will also have careers in game. Baker sands a chance just needs to keep on developing.

With the likes of Hunt , Lee, Preston they have first rung but need to progress quite a bit (need more games at higher level to bring best out in them, good non league would serve purpose to help strengthen them up). No reason to suggest it can not happen for them just think Championship is tough league and difficult for any player to jump straight in. Penney is an exception. More are like Thorniley who has steadily improved from first game and is now a good player at Championship level. Problem we have is you can only blood so many youngsters at once and we regularly have 3 and 4 in team.

A few who have not played for first team are worth a mention, heard really good reports about all of the following.

Shaw, Grant, Waldock, Hammoud, O'Brien, Dawodu, and Rice. In past Lonchar was rated highly but has not recaptured goal scoring form since being injured he was supposed to be best of the lot. Think I expect Grant or Waldock next to be given a chance.

Yes I agree regarding Hunt/Preston and there are a few others too who could do with a short spell on loan. It will have done  the likes of Penney good even though he didn’t play that much! 

Cheers for the info- must admit that apart from the highlights and match reports I read I don’t know much else about on the u18s so it’s great you’ve mentioned a few to keep our eye on! 

27 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Whilst I agree I was more thinking of a sustainable model in terms of affordability. Having 3/4 youth team players replace 3/4 seasoned pros in squad not only increases energy but probably saves best part of 50k per week. 

Thinking about sustainability (more P&S) I wonder whether DC would consider selling if he receives a few tempting offers in January? You’d think not and that it’s get the likes of Jones/Abdi/etc off the books! 

If it was not the fact we were in financial trouble ,How many of these very talented young players would get a look in ?. The old Sheffield Wednesday football club would give youth a chance ,I now hope we are going back to them  days ,Sure we have money ,But patience needed ,Only problem is agents ,If we get a great prospect ,I only hope the chance of first team football ,Will tie them for a few yrs ,For sure if need be we can sell them ,But for our terms ,Not a tribunal fee.

18 hours ago, Quist said:

Penney, Thorniley and Dawson on evidence so far already have a career in game ahead of them..

Think Wildsmith and Kirby will also have careers in game. Baker sands a chance just needs to keep on developing.

With the likes of Hunt , Lee, Preston they have first rung but need to progress quite a bit (need more games at higher level to bring best out in them, good non league would serve purpose to help strengthen them up). No reason to suggest it can not happen for them just think Championship is tough league and difficult for any player to jump straight in. Penney is an exception. More are like Thorniley who has steadily improved from first game and is now a good player at Championship level. Problem we have is you can only blood so many youngsters at once and we regularly have 3 and 4 in team.

A few who have not played for first team are worth a mention, heard really good reports about all of the following.

Shaw, Grant, Waldock, Hammoud, O'Brien, Dawodu, and Rice. In past Lonchar was rated highly but has not recaptured goal scoring form since being injured he was supposed to be best of the lot. Think I expect Grant or Waldock next to be given a chance.

You forgot about 'Elvis' Praslov Barukov?.

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

You forgot about 'Elvis' Praslov Barukov?.

The guy who told me info did not mention him. I suspect not rated as highly as some others. There are other first year scholars like Hagan who he did not mention either but suspect there are some at that level too.

2 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

If it was not the fact we were in financial trouble ,How many of these very talented young players would get a look in ?. The old Sheffield Wednesday football club would give youth a chance ,I now hope we are going back to them  days ,Sure we have money ,But patience needed ,Only problem is agents ,If we get a great prospect ,I only hope the chance of first team football ,Will tie them for a few yrs ,For sure if need be we can sell them ,But for our terms ,Not a tribunal fee.

I think a lot is to do with manager, there is always a chance to give youth an opportunity and to prepare them for a future career. Wilkinson used to take a couple of Academy players along with first team to games to get them used to experience. Always room on bench with 7 substitutes for a promising player.

There was ample opportunity with injuries to give opportunities in last couple of years but if manager not one to chance youth they have little opportunity. We currently have quite a few expensive first teamers out of squad and youth being preferred over them. DC has invested in youth development and so presumably he would want to see money well spent and will be delighted to see Academy bearing fruit.

I agree agents can be a problem who are just looking for easy money. if they have any sense will want player to progress and this will lead to greater rewards in long term and this will only come about by playing. 

Personally think there should be a limit on the number of professional players a team can have on books over age of 20. Chelsea I think have more than 3 teams out on loan. It would force them to release players and give other teams access to players.