THE LOAN DEADLINE DAY THREAD

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

But of a comedown for the blades in terms of the targets they wanted. But they seem to get a bit extra out of them at the moment.

Sounds like they got their money back for Leonard or maybe a bit more. 

Just for a second,swap ya support to them,take in all that guardiwilder is saying about going for a different level of player,players of quality who are going to cost,then realise that upto date its been nothing but pish and wind,all in the mean time of selling/loaning just about every player he signed in January, Apparently went for Waghorn...........nope,Jaoa.......nope,Winnall.......nope,Fletcher (ashley)........nope and so on and so on,FREEBIES and CHEAPIES is how they roll.

Think its rather funny to be honest,all the while tellin any one that will listen that there isn't a wednesday player they'd have over what they have..............................yeh right.

31 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Just for a second,swap ya support to them,take in all that guardiwilder is saying about going for a different level of player,players of quality who are going to cost,then realise that upto date its been nothing but pish and wind,all in the mean time of selling/loaning just about every player he signed in January, Apparently went for Waghorn...........nope,Jaoa.......nope,Winnall.......nope,Fletcher (ashley)........nope and so on and so on,FREEBIES and CHEAPIES is how they roll.

Think its rather funny to be honest,all the while tellin any one that will listen that there isn't a wednesday player they'd have over what they have..............................yeh right.

I think it’s a fair point and one we forecasted ie for them to replace or better their existing strikers they’d need to spend decent money starting around 5m. Wilder probably isn’t to blame as he clearly wanted Egan, Hogan and or Waghorn but only got one of them. So the focus returns to the owners mindful of the Brooks money. I find the cheap shots about us spending money on wages and players are a bit of a front given that any club of a decent size in this division is paying for players and wages and we are not the odd ones out.

Their method of doing things is more akin to Preston, Millwall and to a lesser extent Brentford (they re-invest!) and they arguably have the manager for that, but I think he might get frustrated. Their January buys and various others such as carruthers and the winger from Pools were gambles from the leagues below and  you’d expect a few to flop. On the one hand you’d expect a player they chased as much as Holmes and Leonard to make more of an impact and get more of a chance but if they got a bit of a profit because Millwall were desperate then its good business.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bradowl said:

That Marvin Johnson has signed for pigs, looking at his stats he wasn't much of a success at Boro after signing for them from Oxford, played a lot of his career at them football giants Kidderminster Harriors. lol

Didnt work out at Boro but he cost them a couple of million. He looked pretty good at Oxford and up in Scotland. Scored some belters and he was one of a couple along with Ollie Watkins that I was hoping we might look at but knew they weren’t really CC players.

If he’d come here on loan id be reasonably pleased as I think there’s a player there. That’s the market they are in, in terms of trying to get that bit extra from someone who hasn’t done it or needs to step up. Whilst I wouldn’t want us to be as reliant on it as they are, I think we could do with looking at all angles a bit more ie youth players here and elsewhere (started doing this), players from abroad or the EFL who can make the step up and earn some money (we haven’t done this since Joao and don’t seem to like the lower leagues) leaving room in the budget for the bigger more established buys when we need them. 

7 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think it’s a fair point and one we forecasted ie for them to replace or better their existing strikers they’d need to spend decent money starting around 5m. Wilder probably isn’t to blame as he clearly wanted Egan, Hogan and or Waghorn but only got one of them. So the focus returns to the owners mindful of the Brooks money. I find the cheap shots about us spending money on wages and players are a bit of a front given that any club of a decent size in this division is paying for players and wages and we are not the odd ones out.

Their method of doing things is more akin to Preston, Millwall and to a lesser extent Brentford (they re-invest!) and they arguably have the manager for that, but I think he might get frustrated. Their January buys and various others such as carruthers and the winger from Pools were gambles from the leagues below and  you’d expect a few to flop. On the one hand you’d expect a player they chased as much as Holmes and Leonard to make more of an impact and get more of a chance but if they got a bit of a profit because Millwall were desperate then its good business.

Hey,they can never really be knocked for selling for profit or big money,its what they're good at,but if its against a back drop of something that doesn't happen ie spending millions (if necessary) for a better quality player,it kind of negates the whole purpose,can you imagine the furore on here if we were paying the prices we are,and selling some of our players only to bring freebies in............................christ alive.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

What’s holding up this Piazon deal then

6 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

No news on Piazon then. Surely would have been announced if he was coming here. Shame. 

Perhaps he waiting to see if a move abroad comes off. Got till 11pm.

11 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Hey,they can never really be knocked for selling for profit or big money,its what they're good at,but if its against a back drop of something that doesn't happen ie spending millions (if necessary) for a better quality player,it kind of negates the whole purpose,can you imagine the furore on here if we were paying the prices we are,and selling some of our players only to bring freebies in............................christ alive.

True, but their identity at the moment (ignoring their spending under Robson etc) is that they think of the fans and keep it real whereas nasty Wednesday don’t. It’s a powerful tool for them to use.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

But we've always seen ourselves as being higher up the food chain than them.

For us, selling our best players is a no-no.

When Dave Richards blocked Man Utd's move for Hirst, he (in)famously said "Why should we sell to Man Utd. We're as big a club as them".

1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

When Dave Richards blocked Man Utd's move for Hirst, he (in)famously said "Why should we sell to Man Utd. We're as big a club as them".

The actual last words were...Ok you have wore us down, we will take £5M plus Ryan Giggs...can we do bizz tomorrow ...they never called back

Just now, sherlyegg said:

The actual last words were...Ok you have wore us down, we will take £5M plus Ryan Giggs...can we do bizz tomorrow ...they never called back

I remember we went in for Scholes.

I think we offered three-ish and they wanted a couple of mil more.

Just now, Athelwulf said:

But we've always seen ourselves as being higher up the food chain than them.

For us, selling our best players is a no-no.

Think i need to expand a little on the selling players line,i wasn't suggesting we sell our best players (lets be honest,other than brookes they haven't either),what i'm trying to convey is,if our manager was giving it the spiel about moving onto a better calibre of player (like guardiwilder has) whilst moving on others to facilitate the new arrivals,all the while failing to attract said "better calibre of player",only then to sign freebies and loans,backdropped against the prices we pay,crikey moses there'd be apocalyptic meltdowns on here.

Just now, Athelwulf said:

I remember we went in for Scholes.

I think we offered three-ish and they wanted a couple of mil more.

I was actually there when the last phone call came in from MU re-Hirst....well it was redirected to where I was. (Of course nothing to do with me, I was simply working and overheard)

With the proper English language used...I though well foook me, just goes to show balllax and fooook off means the same, no matter how much money you have.

I think we made a half-hearted attempt to sign Scholes just to pisss em off further