THE LOAN DEADLINE DAY THREAD

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Only played second striker 7 times for PNE, scoring once. Played 16 times LW and 13 LB.

Anyway, we have seen him enough to know he’s never a striker in a million years, and what’s more we already have about a squillion strikers anyway.

Hes a damn fine LW, a very decent LWB and a decent LB. 

I think it’s a terrific problem to have and Jos will have a master plan. 

My line-up right now

Palmer Lees Hector Penney

Onomah Bannan Reach

Joao Fletcher Forestieri

Heaven help Jos when Hooper and Lee fit.

Cant see Hutch starting often. He has failed to impress Jos this season so he will need to get a chance and take it.

It's amazing how we couldn't scrape together a team in January with the size of the squad 

I still think Right Back is our weakest position 

Palmer is poor at sensing danger

He’s also poor defending the back stick from crosses from the opposite wing

For me, this position will be our Achilles

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

9 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Think if Jos thought the same as you he would have addressed it in the loan window. Letting Hunt go and Not replacing him tells me he fully trusts Baker and Palmer at right back.

12 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Think if Jos thought the same as you he would have addressed it in the loan window. Letting Hunt go and Not replacing him tells me he fully trusts Baker and Palmer at right back.

Good point.... I wonder how we're looking for the 2 for each position with Lee and the others coming back... plus the new signings?

I haven't got time to look at it.

12 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Good point.... I wonder how we're looking for the 2 for each position with Lee and the others coming back... plus the new signings?

I’d say we have at least two in every position with in some cases 4/5 that can cover if needed. The squad is ridiculously big, but after last seasons 14 first teamers out can understand worries of many. 

I’m actually looking forward to seeing us thin the heard next season and let some of the bigger names / earners go and paired with an extra years experience of some of: 

- Penney

- Thornely 

- Baker

- Preston 

You’d expect we could rely on them a little more and get us back down to a quality, competitive 24 man squad. 

12 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

We have a squad of 28 (3 keepers, 9 defenders, 9 midfielders and 7 forwards) plus a selection of youngsters, some of whom have first team experience

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We have a squad of 28 (3 keepers, 9 defenders, 9 midfielders and 7 forwards) plus a selection of youngsters, some of whom have first team experience

Stolen from massive squad thread. 

1- Dawson

2- Westwood

3- Wildsmith

4- Palmer

5- Baker

6- Lees

7- Hutchinson

8- Hector

9- Thorniley

10- Van Aken

11- Penney

12- Fox

13- Pudil

14- Pelupessy

15- Bannan

16- Jones

17- Lee

18- Abdi

19- Reach

20- Boyd

21- Preston

22- Forestieri

23- Matias

24- Onomah

25- Fletcher

26- Nuhui

27- Joao

28- Hooper

29- Winall

for some reason I thought it was more but still a huge squad/payroll to carry. Can’t wait to strip it back to allow us to invest in some quality. For me the squad (with exceptions such as Youth players) largely is average to good in all areas or maybe better put not much difference between first choice / second choice in each position. whereas I think you probably need lessor in back up players and better in first team players. 

Im hopeful that next season the youth players will be more seasoned allowing us to release / sell during season a few more established players and bring in some real quality in positions such as CB, RB, LB, CM. 

Whilst i’ll be upset with loss of players like Lee, Hooper etc in reality one of those probably finances Thornley, Penney, Preston and Bsker. 

Then an you have release of Jones, Abdi, Fox, Westwood, Boyd which likely saves circa 5m in wages. 

Edited by Philb125

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Baker maybe, the Right Back position is there for the taking

Palmer is a good athlete, nothing more

You can always tell a player’s true level when they leave Wednesday, I fully expect when Palmer leaves it will be to a lower level

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

3 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Whereas when we play Fox at left back......

3 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Same here. I think he’s doing alright so far this season and is clearly fitter so I hope that continues. But I was hoping for something a little better than ‘alright’. We’re no longer a threat down the right hand side without Hunt (and I don’t think that’s due to any assessment Jos made about Hunt, that was just business). Good luck to Palmer/Baker.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2018 at 11:46, bradowl said:

That £11m is over a period not up front, we did receive a fee for Hirst, not sure on amount but over 100k. 

Pigs are about to sign Conor Washington who's had his contract cancelled by QPR. 

13 goals in 92 appearances. 

Game changer. 

Who cares about Conor Washington? £11 million > £100k.

Guest wilyfox

http://youtu.be/X_0--DvJ0Ew

Onomah looks decent. Not quite the role I thought he played. Looks like an athletic 8. We don't have anyone else like him, so should be interesting. Should give our midfield some drive and power.

Edited by wilyfox

37 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

http://youtu.be/X_0--DvJ0Ew

Onomah looks decent. Not quite the role I thought he played. Looks like an athletic 8. We don't have anyone else like him, so should be interesting. Should give our midfield some drive and power.

It is going to be interesting to see what Jos’ plans are for the team. 4231 seems to suit a lot of our players, but then you have the issue of where Onomah will fit in, not to mention Hector, Forestieri, Hooper, Lee - and who then gets dropped. It’s good to have a big squad, but most successful teams tend to have a “first choice” XI.