Liam Palmer

We have a distribution from the back problem. 

Teams that put us on the press can disrupt our game fairly easily. 

That is why we need players at the back who are really comfortable on the ball and can play an accurate pass. 

Palmer has that in spades. He is ridiculously underrated by alot of posters on here. Probably because he doesn't fit the mental template they have of a wing back. 

Ideally he would be a RB in a back four. 

But in this system, and in the absence of anyone else, he is easily our best rwb. 

Edited by Beholder

12 hours ago, Beholder said:

He was good. 

Dependable and very comfortable in the ball. 

He is clearly better than Baker however much the haters would love it to be otherwise. 

11 hours ago, Beholder said:

Because it's relentless and comes even after he plays well. Appalling support. 

No-one hates Palmer, why would they? He's a local lad, supports the club, and gives what he can when called up on.

Many just don't rate him and don't believe he's good enough to be first choice here. I've even given you the list of areas I believe he lacks, you disagreed. That's football.

Doesn't mean he's hated FFS.

38 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

No-one hates Palmer, why would they? He's a local lad, supports the club, and gives what he can when called up on.

Many just don't rate him and don't believe he's good enough to be first choice here. I've even given you the list of areas I believe he lacks, you disagreed. That's football.

Doesn't mean he's hated FFS.

This.................it is so childish and f****ng annoying when people use this phrase .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

We have a distribution from the back problem. 

Teams that put us on the press can disrupt our game fairly easily. 

That is why we need players at the back who are really comfortable on the ball and can play an accurate pass. 

Palmer has that in spades. He is ridiculously underrated by alot of posters on here. Probably because he doesn't fit the mental template they have of a wing back. 

Ideally he would be a RB in a back four. 

But in this system, and in the absence of anyone else, he is easily our best rwb. 

Easily our best wingback? 

Jos completely dropped him from the squad after his showing at Wigan. You’d have to be completely naive not to realise what that implied. Not just relegated to the subs bench but out of the match day squad altogether.

Don’t think any player who is ‘easily our best’ gets dropped in that fashion. Maybe the gap between Palmer and Baker is not so great as to regard Palmer as easily our best?  It would appear our manager didn’t think so, unless he was making a point to Palmer that the standard he set against Wigan (in Jos’s opinion) will not be tolerated? 

Personally I thought Baker was ok against Hull, no more, no less, just ok. Be interesting to see if Baker did enough to keep Palmer out of the team.

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

Easily our best wingback? 

Jos completely dropped him from the squad after his showing at Wigan. You’d have to be completely naive not to realise what that implied. Not just relegated to the subs bench but out of the match day squad altogether.

Don’t think any player who is ‘easily our best’ gets dropped in that fashion. Maybe the gap between Palmer and Baker is not so great as to regard Palmer as easily our best?  It would appear our manager didn’t think so, unless he was making a point to Palmer that the standard he set against Wigan (in Jos’s opinion) will not be tolerated? 

Personally I thought Baker was ok against Hull, no more, no less, just ok. Be interesting to see if Baker did enough to keep Palmer out of the team.

I think Jos will recognise sooner or later that Palmer is a better option than Baker. 

Baker is OK. 

Palmer is very good in certain ways, and we lose that if he is dropped. He is a very reliable pass option. Always available, receives the ball, redistributes well and rarely loses it. 

We shall see how it pans out. 

He’s a solid player no more, no less. He does have his shockers and because he never performs at a really good level very often he gets more pelters than most when he has those shockers.

We’ll never get to where we want to be with Palmer as a regular but where we want to be is miles away at the moment and because of this he’ll make more than his fair share of appearances again and he will probably sign another contract with us if the opportunity is there?

14 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

I'm not going to change tune and say he's played well if I don't think he has.

No one is expecting you to but you shouldn’t be surprised if your credibility takes a hit when it comes to football matters.

Well played Liam

I think he is a very poor footballer.

last night he was better than usual, but that was only a 6/10 performance. Hopefully something to build on I suppose. 

Still plenty of mistakes and offered nothing going forward. 

Don’t think anyone hates him. Just see he is very very limited at this level.